NPD : Skreddy Echo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JWLee, Jan 12, 2016.

1. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

Oh, sooooo would! :drool

2. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

I just recently got a Skreddy Echo and it's been a lot of fun so far...
    I'm bumping this old thread for more info on the Effects Loop.

Since it doesn't have a tone control I've been trying just some simple boost/EQ pedals in the FX loop so I can darken the repeats a bit. My understanding is that the trimmer on the left is supposed to help manage the signal strength in the loop (as well as alter the sweep and behavior of the mix and repeats knobs) but so far any time I turn on a pedal in the loop the repeats get noticeably dirtier... not necessarily bad of course but I'd like the option of keeping the repeats cleaner.

I've tried turning down the trimmer and even getting a dB cut out of the boost/EQ pedal in the loop but no luck so far. Any tips? Different voltage maybe or trimmer settings?

Fuzzr likes this.
  3. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

I'm not going to speak for Marc, but I can point you to his description of the Echo
    https://skreddypedals.com/skreddy_pedals_echo.php
    At the bottom, there's a description of the power requirements and a note about running it at higher v+ levels and how that may affect it's sound.

A specific note from my own experience is: if I have pedal-A running on 9 volts, then I make sure any pedal in its loop is also running at 9 volts (or lower). Also, If I'm running Pedal -A at 18 volts, I can often expect a cleaner sound due to the increase in headroom.... note tho that this is NOT universal due to a couple causes (I won't go into details, as someone may assume that it applies to this pedal, which it does not).

Tabor likes this.
  4. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

I have not noticed this "dirtier" issue myself, only a slight volume boost, which the trimmer should take care of. But do note that the delay chip itself only runs at 5v, so it would not be hard to overdrive that part of the circuit if the effect in the loop is putting out a lot of signal volume. If your looped effect has a volume control, though, this should probably work; but then again how "clean" is the effect in the loop, actually? And yes, running the Echo at 18v will also help its headroom and make sure that the delay chip is getting its full 5v supply if there's ever any problem with that. Also, if you're running the Echo through the loop of an amp, the 18v power supply is definitely a necessity with the line-level signals it would be handling.

Tabor likes this.
  5. _sjm_

_sjm_ Supporting Member

I often forget the Skrecho even has a loop. It just sounds so good all on its own.

corbs, lefort_1, Tabor and 2 others like this.
  6. skyline

skyline Member

So true. I've tried all sorts in it's loop, from vibrato's to phasers, but not one makes the repeats anywhere near as gorgeous as the Skrecho's own modulation.
    It is not always on my board due to the size, but I will keep it forever for that sound. Truly a modern classic.

Tabor likes this.
  7. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

The unit I got even came with a printed instruction sheet which has some of that information on there too... yeah the higher voltage does sound a little more "crisp". I think I prefer the gooeyness of the 9v sounds...

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I understand this delay chip is kind of lo-fi by nature. I don't expect it to be pristine...
    After some more experimentation it seems that there were just a few pedals that really didn't work well in the loop for whatever reason; or at least, didn't work well for what I was after. They added quite a bit of distortion. I kept both below unity so they weren't adding any dB in the loop.

I tried a Bearfoot SBEQ and a Faceless FX Jasmine Boost in this role but ultimately it was the Moog Minifooger Boost that gave me the LPF I was looking for without any added grit so I think I'll just use that one when I want to roll off a little high end and add a preamp sort of vibe on the repeats. It also has a very nice subtle bit of compression that seems to let the repeats play out even more easily without oscillation.

Oh, I wonder where you tend to set the input gain (left) trimmer? I seem to be setting it around 3:00 (most of the way up) because of how it interacts with the repeats and mix but I'm curious what you recommend?

Totally a unique sound... I'm glad I finally tried one.
    I don't think using the loop means I'm finding something lacking in the pedal necessarily; it just expands the sound possibilities.

I put a Generation Loss in the loop last night for example and that was really fun and very different from what the Echo does on its own. I don't think it's about trying to make a "better" sound but rather about being able to use the Echo as a platform for lots of different sounds and experimentation. I'll probably try the Shallow Water soon...

The stock modulation on the Echo is really nice for sure and the trim pot makes it easy to get a useful range on the sweep of that depth knob but I'm not trying to replace anything the Echo does by messing with the loop; just having fun creating other possibilities.

skyline likes this.
  8. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

The delay-line volume trimmer should be set full up when not using anything in the effects loop. So about 3:00 when using an effect in the loop sounds about right.

Tabor and anxiousmofo like this.
  9. Grubgoat

Grubgoat Member

See, I'm not the only one thinking this. Marc is the guy who can do it.

10. corbs

corbs Supporting Member

Still my favorite delay by far.

Jess 1971 likes this.
  11. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

Yup. Absolutely wonderful delay. Sounds incredible and built exceptionally well, like all Skreddy stuff.

anxiousmofo likes this.