NPD - SM Fuzz!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kummeli, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

[​IMG]

Hi to all!

This is a story about my new love; the SM Fuzz; a fuzzface type boutique hand crafted germanium fuzz by Scott McKeon. www.smfuzz.com
    And If you haven't heard of Scott; check him out here: www.scottmckeonmusic.com

So, I've been using the Analogman Sun Face TI/UK for half a year now and I've always felt that there was something missing on the sound.. Then I decided to go for the SM Fuzz mostly because I've been digging the fuzz sounds on Scott Mckeon's records so much.. Ordered this pedal about a month ago and got it week ago. Played my first show with it last saturday and I just had to chime in about this pedal!

And what a wonderfull pedal it is! It's so warm and "soulfull". There's so much character in the sound that this pedal provides. You can get a wide variety of sounds from clean to slight OD and from crunzy fuzz to total splattery fuzz sound just by playing with the guitars volume. It's amazing how it reacts to picking dynamics and the clarity of the sound is just wonderfull. It also cleans up to almost 100% clean. If I back down the guitars volume to around nine I get this great transparent OD sound.

Compared to the Sun Face the SM Fuzz has a lot more bite and character to the sound and there's lot more clarity. It sounds a lot warmer in every setting and there's rich harmonic overtones in there that the Sun Face just doesn't have. It's really hard to put it in words how great this pedal is.

But all I can say is that MY FUZZ QUEST IS OVER! I've found 'the sound'!

Couple of pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a live clip of me playing it on last saturdays show:

Cheers to all and thanks for reading! :)

-------------

EDIT:

Sure. ;)

CLARITY:
    The SM Fuzz has a better clarity overall. And the notes retain the clarity even with full fuzz where as the TI/UK got a bit mushly and compressed. This is even more noticeable when playing chords. Somehow with the SM Fuzz the "notes inside the chord" are more pronounced. Can't really put that in english 'cos it's not my grammar. :huh Overall the TI/UK seems more compressed than the SM Fuzz.

TONE:
    The low end is tighter in the SM Fuzz. The midrange is also clearer and "chimes" better. There's rich harmonic overtones in the SM Fuzz that the TI/UK didn't really have them or they just weren't so noticeable. The TI/UK has somewhat "harsh" high end (atleast on my setup) but the SM Fuzz doesn't. The high end on SM Fuzz is warmer and rounder. The tone of the SM Fuzz is deeper and has more body.

GAIN:
    The TI/UK has got a bit more gain available.

CLEAN UP:
    The TI/UK and The SM Fuzz both clean up equally good, to almost pure clean. The SM Fuzz cleans up quicker so you get it clean with guitars volume on around 7 where as the TI/UK would be clean in about 6, so it's a bit easier to find the in between sounds on the TI/UK. The SM Fuzz does get a tiny bit more quieter than the TI/UK when rolling g-volume off.

GENERAL:
    Overall the SM Fuzz has got more punch (especially with cords) and the notes are more pronounced than with the TI/UK. It's got more bite, character and soul than the TI/UK. The SM Fuzz also reacts to picking dynamics a lot better than the TI/UK and the TI/UK is already good in that matter.
    Somehow I feel "integrated" with the SM Fuzz when I play. That didn't really happen with the TI/UK.

Sorry for the poor english in some (if not all :D) sentences!

Hope this helps! Please ask more if you have any questions. I try to answer them as good as I can. :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. Zeon45

Zeon45 Member

Sounds great!! The band ain't too shabby either. :dude

3. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

@ Zeon45: Thanks man! :)

4. rocker_71

rocker_71 Member

Nice playing bro!

I really like the graphics of this pedal too. But are those knobs on the sides not awkward for patching the cables?

One important question: how does this fuzz interact with a wah run before it?

5. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Nice. But ribbon wiring, PCBs........ and they charge 200 quid? yikes!

6. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

Thanks man! :) No I don't find the knobs awkward at all. The cable runs under the knob and there's still almost 1cm space between cable and knob. Also, the knob does actually take less space from side than the plug (atleast in my case) and I like that the settings aren't always messed up with the 20ft cable that I place over the pedals while transporting. ;)

I run the wah after the fuzz for a more exaggerated sound when the fuzz is on. And there it works great. I tried the wah before the fuzz, but it didn't quite work there.. It didn't give much of an effect there. No wah actually, just some high end "sweep". But still there wasn't that "squeal" like with Sun Face for example.

Yeah, but it's the sound what matters to me. :aok

7. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

Here it's on my board:

[​IMG]

8. rocker_71

rocker_71 Member

nice board .. lots of dirt. :p

9. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

Yeah, I like dirt ;) But I'm thinking of selling the sun face.. The SM Fuzz just kills it in every aspect.

10. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

Also Doyle Bramhall II is using the SM Fuzz nowadays:

Need I say more guys? :dude

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  11. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

Just sold the Sun Face. The SM Fuzz left it unemployed, it's that good.

12. thewex

thewex Member

sounds good through your single coils! what do you think of it with HB's?

13. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

Thanks! I haven't tried it with my Les Paul actually.. To be honest, I haven't picked my LP up for quite a long time now.. :rolleyes: But, I've played it with the ASAT Special that has the MFD pickups and it works ok with those even though they are high output pu's. The sound does get a bit compressed and bit mushy when the guitars volume is on 10 but still sounds good. Not as good as those "normal" single coils (which are Fender Fat 50's in my Legacy).

14. Kinct

Kinct Member

Just ordered one!!!
    I've been loving it since I first watched Scott's video demo, it sounds thick and not too fuzzy like other fuzz pedal in lower volume.
    can't wait to get mine!

15. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

Good call man! You won't regret it. :aok
    Tell us what you think of it when you get it!

16. gregc

gregc Member

Nice looking pedal, inside and out. Great graphics and nice, clean, masked PCB. I'm gonna investigate further!

17. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

In case someone haven't seen these:

18. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Can you compare it the the TI/UK more in-depth?

19. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

Sure. ;)

CLARITY:
    The SM Fuzz has a better clarity overall. And the notes retain the clarity even with full fuzz where as the TI/UK got a bit mushly and compressed. This is even more noticeable when playing chords. Somehow with the SM Fuzz the "notes inside the chord" are more pronounced. Can't really put that in english 'cos it's not my grammar. :huh Overall the TI/UK seems more compressed than the SM Fuzz.

TONE:
    The low end is tighter in the SM Fuzz. The midrange is also clearer and "chimes" better. There's rich harmonic overtones in the SM Fuzz that the TI/UK didn't really have them or they just weren't so noticeable. The TI/UK has somewhat "harsh" high end (atleast on my setup) but the SM Fuzz doesn't. The high end on SM Fuzz is warmer and rounder. The tone of the SM Fuzz is deeper and has more body.

GAIN:
    The TI/UK has got a bit more gain available.

GENERAL:
    Overall the SM Fuzz has got more punch (especially with chords) and the notes are more pronounced than with the TI/UK. It's got more bite, character and soul than the TI/UK. The SM Fuzz also reacts to picking dynamics a lot better than the TI/UK and the TI/UK is already good in that matter.
    Somehow I feel "integrated" with the SM Fuzz when I play. That didn't really happen with the TI/UK.

Sorry for the poor english in some (if not all :D) sentences!

Hope this helps! Please ask more if you have any questions. I try to answer them as good as I can. :)

20. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

Oh, the cleanup!! ;)

The TI/UK and The SM Fuzz both clean up equally good, to almost pure clean. The SM Fuzz cleans up quicker so you get it clean with guitars volume on around 7 where as the TI/UK would be clean in about 6, so it's a bit easier to find the in between sounds on the TI/UK. The SM Fuzz does get a tiny bit more quieter than the TI/UK when rollin g-volume off.