NPD: Stomp Under Foot, Skinner Box-I'm blown away!

Yossi

After USPS took their merry old time to get my shipment to me, I was happy to finally open up my package from Matt at Stomp Under Foot. It contained the Red Menace and the Skinner Box.

During my lunch hour I was able to play with both of these pedals for about an hour.

The first pedal that I tried was the Skinner Box and I was able to A/B it with a ProCo Rat, modified. There is so much volume on Tap with the Skinner that I had the volume down practically all the way. The distortion sounds great all the way up, and all along the way. It has much more distortion than the Rat. The tone works like the filter on the Rat so it's the reverse of regular tone pots.

The Skinner Box skinned the Rat. No contest. There is a clarity and presence on the SB that makes the Rat sound like it has a blanket over it.

When these old parts are gone there may not be any more Skinner Boxes available like this one and to get this tone, you'll have to search out and pay for an original. I can hear why the vintage Rat pedal is a must-have on the pedal board for that old classic distortion. The new Rats aren't the same

I'll have to review the Red Menace in another thread later.

Yossi

You got the SUF Bug, man.

I've been on a collecting binge again. Love my skinner box.

Yes, Matt makes it very hard to squash that bug, even under foot. It stays alive.

So far I still have all of the pedals that I've purchased from SUF. There has been no weeding out, because there are no weeds. They have all been excellent.

etc

Yep. Just got a SUF Rams head this week and I am really into it. I hear nothing but good things about all of their pedals.

Yossi

Yep. Just got a SUF Rams head this week and I am really into it. I hear nothing but good things about all of their pedals.
Matt has a vast knowledge of Muff pedals and has made some great replicas, as well as some super pedals of his own.

Once you start getting into Muff fuzz, you'll do well to check out SUF pedals.

So far I own the following SUF pedals, in order of purchase
1. Green Russian classic
2. Violets Ram's Head
3. 72 Triangle v. 6, classic
4. Red Menace

And in the Rat Family
5. Skinner Box

And I have my own 74 Ram's Head vintage that Matt made sure that it was running smooth.

It's on my to do list to make a YouTube comparison of his pedals...some day.

krz4fx

When too many really is TOO many...
Gold Supporting Member
Congratz, Yossi! And to think it all started with you sending Matt your old lost friend for a thorough checkup!!!

Shoot, I've owned:

69 Triangle
70 triangle
71 triangle
72 triangle
standard triangle
73 ram's head
75 ram's head (5088)
75 blue ram's head
75 violet ram's head
2247 Classic ram's head
standard violet ram's head
The Pi
Pumpkin Pi
Classic Red Army
Standard Red Army
Classic SE Civil War
Classic Civil War
standard Civil War
standard Civil War
standard Civil War
standard green russian
3 knob red menace v1
3 knob red menace v2
4 knob red menace
skinner box
mean green machine
screaming panda LE anniversary
hellephant
Son of a bee
reverb

I've been playing the '71 Triangle for like a month straight. It's one of my new favorites. It's like the perfect combination of the roughness of the 69 triangle with the hugeness of the 72 triangle, and the lead capability of the violet ram's head. SUCH a sweet pedal.

Last edited:

Yossi

Big wow!
You made me feel so much better about my compulsive buying habit.
That is quite the collection

Shoot, I've owned:

69 Triangle
70 triangle
71 triangle
72 triangle
standard triangle
73 ram's head
75 ram's head (5088)
75 blue ram's head
75 violet ram's head
2247 Classic ram's head
The Pi
Pumpkin Pi
Classic Red Army
Standard Red Army
Classic SE Civil War
Classic Civil War
standard Civil War
standard Civil War
standard Civil War
standard green russian
3 knob red menace v1
3 knob red menace v2
4 knob red menace
skinner box
mean green machine
hellephant
reverb

I've been playing the '71 Triangle for like a month straight. It's one of my new favorites. It's like the perfect combination of the roughness of the 69 triangle with the hugeness of the 72 triangle, and the lead capability of the violet ram's head. SUCH a sweet pedal.

etc

Shoot, I've owned:

69 Triangle
70 triangle
71 triangle
72 triangle
standard triangle
73 ram's head
75 ram's head (5088)
75 blue ram's head
75 violet ram's head
2247 Classic ram's head
The Pi
Pumpkin Pi
Classic Red Army
Standard Red Army
Classic SE Civil War
Classic Civil War
standard Civil War
standard Civil War
standard Civil War
standard green russian
3 knob red menace v1
3 knob red menace v2
4 knob red menace
skinner box
mean green machine
hellephant
reverb

:omg I had no idea there are many SUF pedals to choose from!

Yossi

Congratz, Yossi! And to think it all started with you sending Matt your old lost friend for a thorough checkup!!!
Thank you. Thanks to your tip.

I don't think I've played my vintage since getting the SUF stuff. I hope it doesn't get offended.

steelers88

Gold Supporting Member
So many sounds in the Skinner Box, incredibly versatile.
Loving the new Hellephant also.

Yossi

:omg I had no idea there are many SUF pedals to choose from!
From my experience, Matt makes small batches of different pedals at a time. When he has a batch he sends out an email to his list. If you see one you want and you are fast enough, you'll get the one you want.

Or, you can place an order, and when (if) he makes that pedal he'll let you know.

For this reason you'll see his pedals selling above retail on eBay all the time.

krz4fx

When too many really is TOO many...
Gold Supporting Member
Shoot, I've owned:

69 Triangle
70 triangle
71 triangle
72 triangle
standard triangle
73 ram's head
75 ram's head (5088)
75 blue ram's head
75 violet ram's head
2247 Classic ram's head
The Pi
Pumpkin Pi
Classic Red Army
Standard Red Army
Classic SE Civil War
Classic Civil War
standard Civil War
standard Civil War
standard Civil War
standard green russian
3 knob red menace v1
3 knob red menace v2
4 knob red menace
skinner box
mean green machine
hellephant
reverb

It was mostly because of your posts about SUF, that I became an avid fan of Matt's work. My collection now sports:

Classic 73 Ram's Head small box
Civil War
Classic 75 RH Blue
Dirty Rooster
Screaming Panda
Pumpkin Pi
Red Menace
TRI-Muff
Violet RH
Classic Green Russian
Son of a Bee
Classic 72 Triangle
Classic 73 RH aka Brick Muff
Classic 75 RH Black
Classic 72 Triangle
Hellephant

Now, please stop talking about the 71 Triangle!!!!:D

jbert58

Silver Supporting Member
I've had a Skinner Box for a while now (mine is serial #4 I think) and I am very happy with it. Great sustain, cutting and harmonics. My 80's metal pedal and, dialled back a bit, a great classic rock drive as well.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
It is a killer RAT, and you're right, it is better than the WFRI, which I also own. I put mine up for sale because my Basic Audio Lucky Number is filling that slot currently, but I pulled it down today. I am trying to learn to keep pedals that I really do like because I end up buying them again, and these may not be available at a later date.

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
I have had myself. I currently own 4 Civil War pedals. The first one is number 25. Two others have the metal can resistors, both painted differently and my last one is the Classic with the KT Trannies. Im a CW junkie! Been kicking around getting a Skinner since ive been wanting to try a Rat. I do have a Screaming Panda. I think that might be a Rat clone?
Would love to see Matt compete with DAM and build some nice MKII pedals in that big fat enclosures! Like the MKII Professional.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Well, I had sold my skinner back in February and I just picked up another to replace it. I have a Keeley modded WFRI to compare it to. I really like them both, but the Skinner is a bit warmer, and it especially sounds sweet on lower gain sounds. I spent a couple of hours last night playing it with the gain around 9 o'clock.

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
Just placed my order. They are available for a short time and I guess this batch might be it.

Trending Topics