NPD - Stone Deaf FX “Q Boost” w/ killer case candy

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
Big fan of the Stone Deaf FX “PDF2“ pedal so when they dropped the Q Boost I was interested.
Their pedals makes sounds I like, work really well for the kind of rock guitar (rhythm and leads) that I play.
So I bought the Q Boost right before Xmas, it took 5 days to travel from Manchester, UK to Wisconsin via DHL.
One thing to note...the price included the shipping cost, making this pedal less than $200.

Opening the box I was not expecting what was an amazing amount of quality case candy included with this pedal.

What does it sounds like?
Massive. Especially the vintage side of the circuit.

Take a listen to this Pete Thorn demo.

bradtfw

Silver Supporting Member
Big fan of the Stone Deaf FX “PDF2“ pedal so when they dropped the Q Boost I was interested.
Their pedals makes sounds I like, work really well for the kind of rock guitar (rhythm and leads) that I play.
So I bought the Q Boost right before Xmas, it took 5 days to travel from Manchester, UK to Wisconsin via DHL.
One thing to note...the price included the shipping cost, making this pedal less than $200.

Opening the box I was not expecting what was an amazing amount of quality case candy included with this pedal.

What does it sounds like?
Massive. Especially the vintage side of the circuit.

Take a listen to this Pete Thorn demo.
I’ve got one of these on the way. The demos sound great. I love that treble boost midrange thing, so I expect that’s how I’ll use it.

How are you using it?

HBob

I got a limited edition anniversary’s PDF pedal from them that came with cool candy and the mug was broken. They sent me a new mug to replace it. Very cool.

jammybastard

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve got one of these on the way. The demos sound great. I love that treble boost midrange thing, so I expect that’s how I’ll use it.

How are you using it?
The guys I’m working with right now are going for a QOTSA sound so this fits in perfectly.
Rhythm guitar barre chords sound huge and 3 dimensional with the “vintage” side selcted.
The boost is for solos though I could do plenty of cool rhythm things with it.
For fun I put it through the CXM 1978 and it sounded like a rocket taking off.

PhuzzphayzZ

Could someone Post a 'stereotypical' QOTSA StoneDeaf sound please... I don't understand... based on the Moog, correct? (PDF)

bradtfw

Silver Supporting Member
I got a limited edition anniversary’s PDF pedal from them that came with cool candy and the mug was broken. They sent me a new mug to replace it. Very cool.
The PDF-1X caught my eye as well. I missed-out on the Anniversary Edition. I think that one looks really cool.

I had a PDF-2, but I wanted a boost/master volume to compensate for any perceived volume loss. They addressed that with this version. I might have to get one and see which I prefer.

bradtfw

Silver Supporting Member
The guys I’m working with right now are going for a QOTSA sound so this fits in perfectly.
Rhythm guitar barre chords sound huge and 3 dimensional with the “vintage” side selcted.
The boost is for solos though I could do plenty of cool rhythm things with it.
For fun I put it through the CXM 1978 and it sounded like a rocket taking off.
Right on! Thanks!

jammybastard

Gold Supporting Member
One thing this pedal does, that I don’t hear very often in modern pedals, is what I describe as a “voltage sag” like when the 9v battery is dying and the tone gets a little squirrely. It’a not out of control, it’s almost a sweet, warm sound that still has weight, heft to it.

This video is a good demo as well...

Trending Topics