NPD - strymon mobius - first impressions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by david henman, Dec 7, 2016.

1. david henman

david henman Member

...mounted it on the pedalboard and began auditioning the presets

1 most sound kind of "plastic-y", as one person described it - is this because, like most manufacturer's presets, they are generally "hyped" for first impressions?

2 is it just me, or does the unit, even when not active, affect the tone of my guitar?

i plan to spend the rest of the day programming three or four basic sounds for a weekend gig - tremolo, chorus, phaser and maybe flanger, vibe or rotary - i tried to find an online site with user suggested presets but, no luck, so far

2. rummy

rummy Member

3. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

A couple years ago I was about to get a Flint, love the trems. A Mobius came up for sale here at a good price, so I said why not spend a little more and have every modulation I could ever want? Great in theory, but not in practice.

I couldn't get with the sound, I also felt there was a plastic sheen to the tone (though I didn't notice it changing my tone when off, but I've heard others say this). It was also way overkill for me, I was basically using it for the trems and not much else. Live I was too clumsy with the bank/preset switching...depending on how many presets you have stored, it can be a bit of a tap dance to get back to the sound you wanted if you misstep in the heat of battle. That was enough for me...

I will say, having tap tempo for all the modulation effects was awesome! I wish that would become more of a thing, it really expands the usability and expressiveness, especially live. But in the end I sold the Mobius, and just recently finally got that Flint. I'm very happy with it, perfect for my needs and sounds great.

whackystrings and We'llDoItLive like this.
  4. david henman

david henman Member

...i do find it functional - i'm already used to the two-stomp up and down bank mode, thanks to my boss dd500

it's not an inconvenience, because i only use one effect in any given song, and will probably limit myself to two or three banks of 4-6 effects - the basics plus one or two of offbeat effects just for fun

Cgkindler likes this.
  5. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

To me, it never did one of things better than great examples of individual pedals for each effect. Live it was difficult to tweak on the fly to tailor the sound for a gig...and often needed tweaking.

6. mkr1

mkr1 Supporting Member

I've been using one live for a couple of years and have about eight go-to vintage-style sounds and have limited the banks it scrolls through via the footswitches. Works great - two chorus sounds, 4-stage phaser, two trems, auto-wah, vibrato, Leslie - they are all quite good, and I don't find them "plasticky" at all. I leveraged that Mobius vintage settings thread posted above and it really helped as a starting point. And it 100% does not affect my dry tone.

7. the tourist

the tourist Member

Works great for me but I'm a Strymon vet and if I need to change things on the fly, no problem as I'm used to it. I mostly use it for chorus, leslie, phase, flange, and rotary.

frankencat and el guapo like this.
  8. Ugly Bunny

Ugly Bunny Supporting Member

While I have no interest in selling any pedals, the one exception is my Mobius. I'll probably even take a huge loss on it - I don't care. I have it on my board but there's just something about it that I don't like. I mainly only use it for the chorus and there are a million other great/better choruses out there. I'll probably just re-buy the TC Dreamscape and call it a day.

The Mobius is VERY nice in theory; every mod imaginable in one box? Yes, please! But in reality, I dunno; just leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe I discovered that I'm just not that much of a mod guy. I love dirt and delay and a light, lush chorus on a clean guitar, but beyond that? Nope.

rck likes this.
  9. david henman

david henman Member

...thanks for this. gives me hope as that is pretty much what i am expecting from this pedal. thankfully, i got a good deal and plan to hang onto my pedals, just in case...

Kevin.C likes this.
  10. mamsk

mamsk Member

Strymon's all about that plastic-y sound. Some people like it, some people don't

Kluch likes this.
  11. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

Mobius IMO is actually maybe the 'best' of the 3 Strymon big boxes (at least in 'bang for buck' value), but it's also easily the least immediate and you have to really put some effort and time in to get the sounds you want out of it.

The stock presets really don't translate to different amp setups that well so you need to build up what you want for your own rig - at least that's what I've done and I don't have any issues with things sounding 'plasticy'. Rotary & Filter are great , as is Vintage Trem. I use flangers and chorus less but there are great sounds in there, but some modes might be more 'appropriate' than others (e.g. on Flanger there are large differences with Grey/Silver/Black and Zero modes - depends on what you have in ur head)

It's pretty deep especially when you then factor in pre/post - the difference in some of the engines to being after dirt is pretty sizable. But that's a great feature.

The real value though is in the more esoteric stuff like Quadrature, Swell and Destroyer - if you don't dig in to these engines then u are missing half the value IMO.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  12. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Another big fan of the Mobius, what a useful AND unique pedal they've made, can't say the same of the rest I've tried.

Revelation and dpgreek like this.
  13. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

[​IMG]

14. Mr2D

Mr2D Member

I love mine. Really handy. And killed my mod GAS for the longest time. The only thing I wish it did was a step phaser, but I got a good deal on a Subdecay Quantum Phaser, so it's all good.

Never noticed any plasticky-ness or tone suck.

hippieboy likes this.
  15. david henman

david henman Member

...what is this guy's problem?

(therealdeal)

16. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

On point. You get a box full of modulations, but each kind of modulation you may think sounds better before or after your preamp/dirt. If you don't use PRE/POST and you flip through the presets, it's a trade-off to how good each one could sound. I can't use the Mobius without PRE/POST, I'll take it over stereo.

Kevin.C, nnnnnn and hippieboy like this.
  17. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

18. david henman

david henman Member

...do members generally ignore this clown or is he the gear page idiot. just curious..

19. david henman

david henman Member

...cool...tgp has an ignore button. very handy.

rummy likes this.
  20. daioni

daioni Member

You have to work with it to get results, but it's definitely a great unit. Both the timeline and the mobius started to work for me once I got a DMC-6D to control them.