• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

NPD: Strymon Riverside, First Impressions

mody

Hey guys, few years on how is this pedal holding up.

I wasn't able to find a Fender Malmsteen Overdrive in India. Based on Elmo's channel saying the riverside is identical but can do a lot more I pulled the trigger.

Question is how does it sound in front of a dimed plexi? Anybody?

Blix

Norwegian
Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys, few years on how is this pedal holding up.

I wasn't able to find a Fender Malmsteen Overdrive in India. Based on Elmo's channel saying the riverside is identical but can do a lot more I pulled the trigger.

Question is how does it sound in front of a dimed plexi? Anybody?
Riverside can't be identical to the YJM drive, the Riverside is digital... :)

Blix

Norwegian
Silver Supporting Member
Blix do you think the SD1 waza would be a better fit in the long run for YJM, I have the 308 and the new 250-13 (too dark honestly).
SD-1 might cut a bit too much bass, but the tone is really good with them, so it should be good :)

mody

I think you guys have saved me some trouble, I'm not so sure about the digital stuff either, I can usually feel the latency as well.

uburoibob

Treehugger, once it’s a guitar...
That is incorrect. A/D and D/A conversion does add latency. However, humans cannot detect very small amounts of latency. Therefore, while there is measurable latency, it is probably so low as to be undetectable by the player.
So, to the player, just as with the slight amount of latency in an analog chain, there is no discernible latency.

KingsXJJ

So, to the player, just as with the slight amount of latency in an analog chain, there is no discernible latency.
There *may* be no discernible latency. There is greater latency with digital than analog.
I can’t detect it with the Iridiums I use. But it’s there.

uburoibob

There *may* be no discernible latency. There is greater latency with digital than analog.
I can’t detect it with the Iridiums I use. But it’s there.
So, kinda like the sound of the tree in the forest if there’s nobody around. If it’s indiscernible, then why bring it up?

But to the question, here’s an interesting article about the subject: https://www.elprocus.com/differences-between-analog-signal-and-digital-signal/

And I will say that in the old days with transatlantic phone calls, the signals were always ridiculously slow, due, I would guess, to the impedance of the copper, the switches, and anything else in the signal path, whereas they are instantaneous now with digital communications. The one thing I took away from that article is that yes, there’s a VERY slight delay for AD/DA conversion, but that’s more than made up for with the fact that DSP can handle more at once than analog can, so digital can actually speed things up. Of course, in a pedal, we are talking about *indiscernible* latency either way - something no human can detect. I’ll say if you believe you detect digital vs analog latency, then you need to do it in a blind test with several different things in case there’s an issue with the gear you are testing with.

KingsXJJ

So, kinda like the sound of the tree in the forest if there’s nobody around. If it’s indiscernible, then why bring it up?

But to the question, here’s an interesting article about the subject: https://www.elprocus.com/differences-between-analog-signal-and-digital-signal/

And I will say that in the old days with transatlantic phone calls, the signals were always ridiculously slow, due, I would guess, to the impedance of the copper, the switches, and anything else in the signal path, whereas they are instantaneous now with digital communications. The one thing I took away from that article is that yes, there’s a VERY slight delay for AD/DA conversion, but that’s more than made up for with the fact that DSP can handle more at once than analog can, so digital can actually speed things up. Of course, in a pedal, we are talking about *indiscernible* latency either way - something no human can detect. I’ll say if you believe you detect digital vs analog latency, then you need to do it in a blind test with several different things in case there’s an issue with the gear you are testing with.
I brought it up merely to correct your inaccurate statement that there is no latency.
There is.

uburoibob

And perhaps this will make a difference for someone rejecting it because of ’latency’. From the Riverside page.

Digital or analog? We chose both.
The first stage of Riverside’s custom multistage drive topology is an all-analog, ultra low noise, discrete, class-A JFET circuit. This gain stage is digitally controlled to maximize headroom while adding as much as 20dB of pure analog gain, with tight integration to the subsequent DSP gain stages.
With our hybrid approach you get the best of both analog and digital worlds: The JFET stage provides exceptional touch sensitivity and dynamic interaction with your guitar, while the incredibly powerful SHARC DSP facilitates the great level of detailed complexity and responsiveness you’ll want to hear.

KingsXJJ

And perhaps this will make a difference for someone rejecting it because of ’latency’. From the Riverside page.

Digital or analog? We chose both.
The first stage of Riverside’s custom multistage drive topology is an all-analog, ultra low noise, discrete, class-A JFET circuit. This gain stage is digitally controlled to maximize headroom while adding as much as 20dB of pure analog gain, with tight integration to the subsequent DSP gain stages.
With our hybrid approach you get the best of both analog and digital worlds: The JFET stage provides exceptional touch sensitivity and dynamic interaction with your guitar, while the incredibly powerful SHARC DSP facilitates the great level of detailed complexity and responsiveness you’ll want to hear.
That marketing quote says nothing about digital latency whatsoever.

Trending Topics