NPD: TC Play Acoustic

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mc_deli, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mc_deli

mc_deli Member

Well, I feel a little dirty posting in the digital forum... but I did go and get myself a Play Acoustic for Xmas ;)

Build quality is great. Looks are good. Display is good. Soft switches not rocking my world but the menus and sound selection are easy enough. Big enough screen. Easier to use than e.g. factor pedals.

Vocal side was great fun out of the box. I didn't find the presets that intuitive - a bit gutted to find the R&B genre empty - but the presets really show off the vocal processing power. The response of the harmonies to your guitar playing is brilliant. And it is really inspiring. The "hit" button works and makes the presets great fun.

To dwell on the presets, I think they have gone a bit overboard on the song-specific presets. I would have liked more generic effect and genre-based descriptions. This is a unit that you have to get to know of course and tailor and organize your set and settings to get the best out of it.

Guitar side - well, I used a Yamaha NTX nylon. It was really noisy and there was the feel of slight latency like a middling performing A/D and amp sim. I got used to it quickly. Body rez seems useful. I got basic sound I liked. And the very simple nature of the guitar effects is good to keep things simple. I was happy with the sound but then... it is so limited I cannot imagine gigging without a lot more guitar tools (boost, delay, comp, special verb etc.).

I spent a lot time beforehand with the manuals. On the spot I couldn't find a tuner or the looper. A guitar mute/tuner is certainly missing. I will try the looper next time.

I did also get some random popping. There is quite a lot on this on the TC forum. The promise is a firmware fix. Or it will have to be returned.

Overall the impression I get is that this would be awesome for a pub rocker, covers band singer and solo show. This shows me that TC really know the vocal stuff from the experience with the Voicelive range. There seems to be limited competition so that probably helps - or at least there doesn't seem to be another company doing things with live vocal effects that TC is not. The guitar side feels like a minimum viable add-on. OK but limited. "Live" is the right name as I cannot see this getting any studio time.

Is it worth it? I have not compared with the other TC vocal products... the Create XT was the one is was considering. The Play Acoustic was under €300. TBH I think any vocalist could get that value out of this. We know that non-stadium, non-a-list FoH engineers are not about to give you bridge harmonies, chorus doubling and M8 reverb. This does. Live hard tune alone in this convenient format probably justifies the price... but... the guitar side is so limited that it doesn't really deliver on the acoustic promise for me - as I can't imagine it being used without MORE PEDALS.

OK, back to the pedals forum for me. Cheers.

2. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

You need your guitar plugged into the unit to view the tuner/mute. It has auto sensing jacks. Same thing for the aux levels to show up on the mix tab. Auto sensing jacks always throw me for a loop. Looper is accessed by pressing both the up and down buttons at same time.

I have the electric version and love it, even for acoustic. I had the VoiceLive 3 and sold it because the electric is all I need. No issues with the electric except for the tuner isn't tied to the tune reference, and I can't get it to show up as an audio interface on a windows machine via USB but it works with my iPad so not sure what is up with that.

3. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

I use a VoiceLive Acoustic with my acoustic act... I generally use 3 patches all night... The one patch that does 90% of the work all night just has a simple 3rd up Harmony tied to the hit button... I have compression/delay/reverb turned off because I get mine at the mixer. I have pitch correction at about 45%... just enough to sweeten the vocal and not take it over. The Body Rez feature sure makes my Taylor and My Fender sound good through the PA.

4. mc_deli

mc_deli Member

Good tips thanks

5. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

I use a PlayElectric with my acoustic. I use a Switch 3 to turn on/off guitar effects, and for tap tempo- it's nice that you can control both vocal and guitar delay tempo with one tap switch, if you want. Since you can also use it with electric guitar and save guitar effects with patches as well as vocal effects, I think it has the edge in overall versatility. Also it has a dedicated guitar out, which is big for me. However, it doesn't have the full BodyRez effect, kind of a watered-down version of that.

Nice review...