NPD: Turbo Tuner ST300 (full size)

I recently sold my ST200 in anticipation of the new generation of Turbo Tuners. My local stores only have the mini, and I was tossing up between ordering a full size direct, or the more convenient mini. However, after reading about the signal pass-through options available only on the full size, I ordered one.

Yep, it's bloody bright! Addresses one of my main concerns with the ST200. I'm loving the soft relay switching - my other main concern with the original.

Now this is the cool part - I've set up the ST300 so the tuning display is always on (handy for checking tuning while playing, and intonation too!) and the footswitch acts as a mute button. And what a mute button - it's not instant on/off, but a very quick ramp up/down - no pops or clicks. Super handy! I didn't think that Sonic Research could improve on the ST200 more than relay switching and a brighter display, but the new pass-through options made the hit I took on the 200 to upgrade worthwhile.

Also, when you power up the tuner (in the mode I've set) the display is off and the signal is muted. Click the switch, and the display turns on and signal comes through. Click again, and the display remains on, and the signal is muted. So no confusion about if your tuner is muting your signal or not when you set up - leave it for last, and count your clicks!

Worth it? Absolutely.

Last edited:

still.ill

does it track wound strings faster than st-200

does it weigh the same as the st200? my st200 was very lightweight which i liked

still.ill

also where is the 9v jack located on the full size st-300? one thing i like about the mini is that it is located on the top of the pedal instead of the side like the st200

teleclem

Didn't realize there were a lot of improvements. Is the start-up customizable independent of the mode you've set it in?

Will definitely get one soon since I sold my old version a few months ago.

Flight1311

I want to replace my Boss tuner with a Turbo Tuner. Is the full size 300 still smaller than the Boss? Will I still save space? I am worried about the mini being too small. I don't use velcro on my board and I am worried about the mini tipping over.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
haven't done an a/b, though my sound remains the same. and that's excellent news! i don't like true bypass.
I don't believe its a buffer either. Sounded like it could be loading down your signal when in pass through. I sent a request for sonic research to consider a switchable bypass between buffered and true bypass. My current tuner is my buffer and if I do go to an ST-300 mini, I will have to figure out another buffer or keep both in line.

kingdavidy2k

I don't believe its a buffer either. Sounded like it could be loading down your signal when in pass through. I sent a request for sonic research to consider a switchable bypass between buffered and true bypass. My current tuner is my buffer and if I do go to an ST-300 mini, I will have to figure out another buffer or keep both in line.
Loading down signal - just lost my interest there. But I like the power out capability. If only the mini has this function.

I want to replace my Boss tuner with a Turbo Tuner. Is the full size 300 still smaller than the Boss? Will I still save space? I am worried about the mini being too small. I don't use velcro on my board and I am worried about the mini tipping over.
Yep it's definitely smaller than a boss.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Loading down signal - just lost my interest there.
you can't have a "still-on" tuner without either a buffer or some slight loading. the signal has to get to the tuning part and through to the rest of the board somehow.

supposedly that load is like 750kΩ, which is pretty minimal; run a buffer in front and that kind of load ceases to be a factor at all.

walterw

does it track wound strings faster than st-200
yes.

i swapped out a 200 for a 300 mini on my bass pedalboard, and the new 300 mini definitely grabs the low notes a little faster. i say "a little" because the old one already did a better job of grabbing than anything else out there.

(once "grabbed" the tuning is just as fast of course.)

oxtone

I recently got the 300, and now use my 200 on my home practice board. Love them both! Yea, the 300
is a bit brighter, and I love the soft switch. Also, the extra 9 volt jack is handy to power another pedal.
Good job, Sonic Research!

walterw

Does anyone know how to upgrade the firmware for the Mini so that it turns on when the power turns on? Does that make sense? I read it in one of these threads that a guy updated his firmware for his mini so that it turned on upon start up.
ooh! me too! anybody know?

dwoverdrive

Silver Supporting Member
haven't done an a/b, though my sound remains the same. and that's excellent news! i don't like true bypass.
How does someone "not like" true bypass? That's like saying I hate the sound of a cable plugged into my guitar and then into my amp. I mean I get that too much true bypass chained up can be a bad thing but I just don't get that. The buffer obsession trend continues.......

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
ooh! me too! anybody know?
This is what they told me when I asked......

"Hi Brian,
Subj: ST-300 Firwmware Update

I have uploaded the revised firmware for the ST-300 mini which will make the tuner turn on when external power is first applied. Instructions for installing the firmware are shown below.

Please contact me if there are any problems with the install or if you have any questions at all. I will be happy to walk you through the installation.

---- Installation Instructions -----

1. Install the device driver. For Windows Vista, 7 and 8 this should happen automatically when you connect the tuner to the computer with a USB cable. It can take several minutes.

If for some reason this does not work, or if you are running Windows XP, let me know and I will send you the driver and instructions for manually installing it.

2. Leave the tuner connected and the power on.

3. Download the update program from our website: http://turbo-tuner.com/upgrade/ST3m206.exe

4. Run the program ST3m206.exe. A command window will open and the upgrade should commence. It will take about 15 seconds.

--- TO CONFIGURE THE TUNER TO TURN ON WHEN EXTERNAL POWER IS CONNECTED ----

1. Unplug the power supply and wait 10 seconds.

2. Hold the left Mode button down (the one labeled "CAL") and plug the power back in.

The tuner should now turn on when your board is first powered up.

If you have any problems or questions please feel free to give me a call any time.

Sincerely,

Roger at Turbo Tuner Support"

How does someone "not like" true bypass? That's like saying I hate the sound of a cable plugged into my guitar and then into my amp. I mean I get that too much true bypass chained up can be a bad thing but I just don't get that. The buffer obsession trend continues.......
i like a buffer at the start of my chain...and at the end of my chain...and just generally throughout my chain. no dulling from long cable runs. if i could solder my pickups directly to the amp, i would.

Trending Topics