• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NPD: VFE Alpha Dog and Old School

Stratobuc

Just received these, purchased from The Mad Ape (super fast shipping - props!).

Alpha Dog - very cool distortion pedal with lots of options like all VFE pedals. Never used a Rat before, which this is supposed to be based on. It will go a lot of different places - from light overdrive to fuzz.

Old School - tremolo with a HUGE range and a bit of lo-fi sound as it is transistor based.

Anyone else use these?

Hairpin Turns

I have the Old School and it sounds really warm and natural to my ears, my favorite of several trem effects I own or have tried recently. It's pretty awesome at 18 volts (maybe a little too powerful, at least in my set-up anyway). At 9 volts it doesn't jump out so much. Anyway, I love it - great product.

Farbulous

I had the Old School for a while, and I still have the Alpha Dog. Awesome, well-made LM308-style distortion. I haven't found anything else like it that I have enjoyed as much.

deeohgee

I'd love to try the Old School. I recently picked up a Pale Horse in a trade and it's just what I wanted in an OD. Keen to get my hands on more VFE pedals.

Stratobuc

They are built very tight. Still curious about the Alpha Dog symmetry pot, and if anyone moved them with results ie: single coil pickups...

Agileguy_101

I had an Alpha Dog for a few days a few months ago. I think something was wrong with it, as it was total mud with the filter any lower than 3 O clock.

I just got a Landgraff Mo'D. Very much enjoying it so far.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
VFE has to be the best bang for the buck out there. Considering the range of his pedals, the quality of the product, and what he charges for them, it's a no-brainer.

VFEpedals

Just wanted to drop & note to say "be careful at 18V". We've settled on stating 15V as the maximum voltage, though it technically can handle 18V. However, since 18V is the absolute max & we use a network with zener diodes to protection overvoltages, the Old School will draw considerably more current at 18V (up to 100ma more).

At 9V, the charge pump puts out over 20V in the HI power mode.

carltonh

So far I've only seen a few seconds of various video demos that get the velcro fuzz sound out of the Alpha Dog. Anyone know of demos that demonstrate more of that tone?

harpinon

The way you describe the Alpha it sounds just like the Dark horse.
I would be curious to know what the difference is.
I love the Dark horse so much I may just get the others as well.

I just watched the Dark Horse demo on YouTube. I don't think mine sounds just like that one.
Must be very amp dependant. I am even stacking it with a BB preamp. I don't get near the gains the demo showed.
Good thing. If I had watched this beforehand, I would have passed. Sounds like a Charlie Brown on the demo. Not here.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom