NPD: Walrus Audio Voyager

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by telepunk, Apr 17, 2012.

1. telepunk

telepunk Member

So, I just got a Walrus Audio Voyager Overdrive in the mail yesterday.

Love the look of it!
    [​IMG]

I played with it for several hours yesterday and today and I think I have a decent handle on it. It is a 3-knob overdrive pedal after all. And, I like the idea of posting first impressions and following up later with a more long-term assessment. I have not played a gig with it, but I will tomorrow, and I will add my observations from playing live. One of the things about this pedal is that I had a very hard time finding "average joe" opinions when I was doing pre-purchase research. There are a few reviews by well-known reviewers (Burgs, Lord Riffenstein, Effects Bay) that were all glowing, and a few positive mentions from pro players and amateurs alike, but there wasn't a ton of info available (probably because the company is relatively new). Hopefully this will be helpful to TGPers interested in the Voyager.

I will give a shout out to fishcake who did a very good TGP review here:

Walrus Voyager Weeklong Impressions

UPDATE 12/23/12:

This post previously included a long comparison of the Voyager and Timmy and thought they had some similarities. I believe that opinion was somewhat premature, and since the time of this original post I have realized the Voyager is nothing like the Timmy at all (though the Walrus Audio Mayflower is like a smoother Timmy). I still have not owned a Klon, but countless opinions posted later in this thread and in other threads have confirmed that the Voyager is quite similar to a Klon, but possibly even more refined and more clear.

At lower gain it does this great fattening thing in the mids, but it still has great clarity and dynamics. At 12 o'clock and beyond on the gain you get this awesome, thick, compressed drive sound that doesn't get muddled and isn't fizzy at all. It's perfect for leads and chords, and it just kills stacked after the Mayflower. And, the mid range emphasis makes it stand out in a mix like no other.

In summary:
    - The Voyager has an excellent, flexible gain range and works equally well for low gain, edge of breakup and higher gain, thick drive sounds. I could easily see setting for one or the other depending on the set and how I plan to use my other pedals. This is not true for most overdrive pedals I have played.

- The tone knob, while not as flexible as some, works very well. I personally like one tone knob rather than several. It's simple (something has to balance out the Timeline!) And, I feel as though the 12 o'clock position is right in the sweet spot for my rig, which gives me a lot of tone shaping options in both directions.

- Everything about the company is top notch. The ordering process included good communication and prompt shipping. The packaging is slick. The design and finishing of the pedal is fantastic, and the overall quality of the build appears to be very good. I am absolutely a fan, and I look forward to future offerings from Walrus.

My favorite settings so far are (clean Vox AC15, Tele w/ Minihumbucker/HotRails):

"Preamp" low gain (warm, gritty cleans):
    Gain - All the way left
    Volume - 2:30
    Tone - 12:30

Dynamic Mid Drive (from almost clean to medium drive with pressure)
    Gain - 9:00
    Volume - 12:00
    Tone - 11:30

Medium Crunch
    Gain - 12:00
    Volume - 12:00
    Tone - 11:00

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

Great review. My bandmate has one, and I must say, it is extremely Klon-like...and as you said, that's a great thing.

3. telepunk

telepunk Member

So would you say it is Klon-like enough that it would overlap and/or replace a Klone? I ask because I am on a list for one of those.

4. fishcake

fishcake Member

Thanks for the shoutout, but i think your post here gives a more detailed description of the pedal.

Just a bit to add here, i actually like the walrus as an always on pedal in a band setting. It gives a bit more girth, but it still stays open, and your guitar sits great in a band mix.

Getting the walrus, my idea was the pedal for that boost for leads, but im swayed more and more as using it as an always on whether on the clean or dirty channel.

So now im looking to see if a ts or so combined with this would be great.

5. SmilingDave

SmilingDave Supporting Member

The Voyager Overdrive is in the running for my next pedal -- glad to hear your review, thanks for sharing!

6. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

lucky! i'm STILL waiting on my Voyager from Prymaxe. it's been two weeks! i doubt i'll every buy something from them again.

7. telepunk

telepunk Member

Bummer. I ordered from Walrus direct. I am guessing you'll like it though. I saw John Mark McMillan tonight and he and James Duke both have one on board. They also both had the Morning Glory. Great show.

8. OMTerria

OMTerria Member

Have you contacted them? Maybe something just slipped through the cracks.

9. Footbutt

yep. still waiting to hear back.
    i know Walrus Audio has nothing to do with the delay, but this pedal better wow my socks off after all this wait!

10. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

I ordered mine from Prymaxe Friday and got it yesterday. Put it up against a Skinner Klone and it is as identical as it gets. Voyager can achieve a bit more gain, that's about the only difference I found. Such an awesome overdrive!

11. jcat5503

jcat5503 Supporting Member

The voyager breaks up in a much more pleasing way to me. The tone control seems more effective too

Boost wise they're pretty similar

12. telepunk

telepunk Member

Thanks for the Klon/Klone feedback guys. Awesome.

I played the Voyager live last night, and man, it sounded good and worked well. I used it on every song except for when I was playing clean. It was quite dynamic. Live playing is the best test of picking dynamics for me, and the Voyager delivered. It really did help me sit well in the mix against drums, bass and a lead guitar playing mostly through a TS and a Timmy. I kicked in my Fulldrive 2 behind it on the chorus of one more upbeat song and that is just an awesome med-high gain tone with tons of punch, clarity, and midrange. It does a great job of boosting and bringing clarity to the Fulldrive without being harsh.

Not that I won't ever try anything else, but I am really, really satisfied with my drive section now (Blackstone, Fulldrive, Voyager, Morning Glory). Thanks Walrus!

13. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

I need another drive like a hole in the head........................... So naturally, I just bought another drive.

14. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

For anyone who has extensive experience with the Voyager and a Klon, I'd love to know if the Voyager can do that steroidal clean boost thing the Klon can do. To me the Klon has always been unique in it's ability to make your treble strings sound bigger and thicker without having to add a lot of compression or distortion to do it.

15. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I just got the Voyager. First impression: Is this some type of Klon Klone?
    I have a Klon Klone, Timmy, Tim and KOT. It sounds nothing like the Timmy or Tim.
    It's A LOT like my Klon Klone in the way it tightens the low end and boosting the higher mids. The compression quality is also a lot like the Klon Klone I have (I still have all the pedals mentioned by the way - so it's not comparison by memory). The Gain range & reaction also acts pretty much the same as the Klon. The smoothness of the gain is definetely Klon like. I think of it as a Klon Klone with True Bypass. It's a bit clearer than my Klone though. I'm liking it...I'm letting go the Klone. But not at all like Timmy/Tim. The Tim's are more transparent and open sounding - also grainier. The Voyager pretty much a Klon Klone to my ears. Good pedal to girth the low end and boosting higher mid for better cut. Mine surprisingly kinda dark as well. The tone knob on 2:30 pretty much the "unity" tone for me. Sounds great it's a keeper for the coloration it brings.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
    travis_38 likes this.
  16. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I don't know about your Klone but actual Klons also have a distinct lower mid push to go with that tight bass and upper mid presence. That lower mid thing is invaluable for me with a tele. If the Voyager doesn't do that it probably wouldn't work as well for me.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos

17. Footbutt

well, after my first Voyager apparently got lost in the mail, Prymaxe (sp?) is shipping out another, thank goodness.

and why am i just now realizing that my Timmy may not be the low-gain drive for me? for mid-gain stuff, my Rook is great. for low-gain stuff... i'm still wondering of the Timmy is for me.

i don't know, if i'm the only one i'll shut up.

REALLY looking forward to getting the Voyager!

18. telepunk

telepunk Member

Glad they are sending another! What a bummer. I had the Timmy twice. It was good, but not for me either. I prefer the Morning Glory and Voyager for low gain. Though, the Voyager does higher gain very well too. I think you are gonna like it.

19. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Yes I guess you're right about the lower mid push on Klon(e). I do hear it on the higher gain setting (past noon) on the voyager. At Low gain I'm hearing more Tim like (smoother less grainy version of the Tom with Klon like compression - feels like klon under your fingers). At higher gain you'll get that lower mids and presence push ala Klon. But tone knob have to be about 2:30. At lower gain tone knob is unity at 11:30?

When I tried it before work today It was on noon on all 3 knobs. And it sounded dark. The tone and gain knobs really effects each other.

20. Grant Ferstat

Hmmm I get that lower mid push from the Klon at anywhere from 9 - 10 o'clock on the gain. I don't run anything at much higher gain than what that setting does as a rule so I wouldn't have to run higher gain settings to achieve it.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos