NPD: Walrus Audio Voyager

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by telepunk, Apr 17, 2012.

1. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

I get the lower mid push from the Voyager just like the Klones I've had. Gain around 10 oclock I believe, tone around 2. I don't find it to be much like a Timmy or BB at all, in a good way.

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

the clips don't translate that klon "lower" mid to my ears. it sounds like everything has more presence and a scoop on the lows. maybe i haven't heard the clips that demonstrate that side of the pedal. links?

3. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

I don't have any links , just know how it responds when I play it. I actually bought on a whim having never heard any clips, and didn't even know it was a possible Klone or variant of one. I would imagine video compression kills any good sound you can get from it; most of the clips of Klone and klones sound pretty awful online too. Nothing like plugging it in and going at it.

EDIT: Just listened to the first video that came up for it when I searched Walrus Audio Voyager, and it doesn't do it justice. The whole feel of the pedal is missing. Maybe its compression, or poor Mic placement, I dunno but mine sounds different. That said, I would not have purchase it based on that video.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  4. telepunk

telepunk Member

I think the Burgs video captures the sound of the pedal pretty well, but no video is going to capture the exact feel - especially as it relates to the bass and mid response. The number one thing that gets lost in a youtube video through computer speakers is the bass. Also, this pedal is very, very transparent tonally, so it's going to sound a lot like your amp really.

If you turn the tone knob left of noon it has plenty of bass reponse with high roll off. If you turn it right, it does start to cut lows as the highs increase, but it certainly doesn't have to if you don't want it to. The tone knob works very well. I find with my rig that 12 - 1 o'clock is about neutral.

The comment about the tone and gain working together is true. Like the Timmy, I find that I need to make EQ adjustments as I turn the gain up and down (though it does compress a little as you turn the gain up anyway). Generally, I roll the tone knob back as the gain goes up. That is, unless you want it to bite a little more. Again, the tone knob is very useful on this pedal.

My favorite settings so far are (clean Vox AC15, Tele w/ Minihumbucker/HotRails):

"Preamp" low gain (warm, gritty cleans):
    Gain - All the way left
    Volume - 2:30
    Tone - 12:30

Dynamic Mid Drive (from almost clean to medium drive with pressure)
    Gain - 9:00
    Volume - 12:00
    Tone - 11:30

Medium Crunch
    Gain - 12:00
    Volume - 12:00
    Tone - 11:00

5. jcat5503

jcat5503 Supporting Member

Its a great pedal. The artwork is gorgeous

6. fishcake

fishcake Member

Its a real great pedal. But imo you must try it in a full band mix to fully appreciate it.

I set mine in between telepunk's preamp and low gain settings.

I'll call it "just right". It sits perfectly on either channel.

7. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Just got one as well. Interesting with all the Klon comparisons. Too early to comment on how it responds with my rig though. I definitely need to hear it in a full band situation.

8. telepunk

telepunk Member

I am glad this thread keeps growing with more opinions and feedback - that was the goal. Keep the reviews and opinons coming guys!

9. mmcm4

mmcm4 Member

I believe the Voyager is a Klon clone with different clipping diodes. The inside is gooped so it's hard to be 100% sure.

10. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I had a look on the inside of the voyager and the klone. I don't know anything about building pedals. The first common thing I see between the 2 is the use of 3 chips on the inside. Don't even know if they're the same kind.

11. mmcm4

mmcm4 Member

A Klon uses two TL072 op-amp ICs (these could be substituted for any standard single op-amp) and a charge pump IC (to double the internal voltage from 9V to somewhere close to 18V)

12. telepunk

telepunk Member

Interesting - my inside is not gooped, but the 3 IC chips are just barely on the top so you can't see which chips they are.

13. dapeegoo

dapeegoo Member

Just bought one of these pedals. I would love to hear a sound clip comparison of this pedal vs. a real klon. If it sounds just as good, then this pedal would be so worth it because it probably costs cheaper than the new klon KTR and has a smaller footprint.

14. SmilingDave

SmilingDave Supporting Member

I ordered one just a few days ago and should get it on Friday. I don't know anything about Tim, Timmy, or Klon (I've never had the pleasure of owning any of them), but I plan to chime in once I've played with it for a while. Thanks to everyone for their reviews and comments.

15. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Supporting Member

I just bought one and should be receiving it tomorrow. I had waited and waited for the KTR; ended up buying a PCE Aluminum Falcon and realized why a lot of guitarists get worked into a lather about what Klon-based pedals can add to your tone. I liked the AF so much; that I wasn't turning it off and needed something to fill the actual "boost" role, in a similar tonal palette. I considered another Falcon, but size and the builder's increased back-log, lead me to the Voyager. I'll be curious to see how the two Klones play in the chain and where I decide to place them in regards to their respective buffer and lack there-of.

16. telepunk

telepunk Member

Very interested in this review as I am on the Falcon list.

17. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

Mine should be arriving this week (nz), so am anticipating!

For those that have a voyager, are you using more as a boost, or drive??

And how's the drive on it?? Burgs demo, though he's using gear I don't have, sounds pretty good.

18. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Be really interested to hear a response from the builder on this.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos

19. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

actually i agree, always nice to know the history....

20. telepunk

telepunk Member

Honestly either boost or overdrive depending on the songs and how I am using my other drive pedals. Lately, it has been used most for a more medium gain overdrive and the Morning Glory is taking care of the boost / low gain stuff.