NPD: Walrus Audio Voyager

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by telepunk, Apr 17, 2012.

1. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

I was pretty impressed with the thing, particularly for driving a darker amp that's close to breakup. Pretty remarkably dynamic even as it saturates...

2. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

love your demos, justnick!

great tone there, and as always, a great explanation of the pedal.

3. patdeezel

patdeezel Member

I owned a Walrus Audio Voyager just to try it because of all the hype. As soon as I got it, i flipped it right away. It didn't move me in any way. As a clean boost, it was cool. It did the Klon thing, but not quite. It also wasn't as harmonically rich. It also wasn't as clear and open as what others say.

When you start to add more gain, the pedal transforms into something else. It no longer has that Klon feel. It turns into more of a tubescreamer. It begins to lose clarity and top end while emphasizing on the mids. It sounds muddy to my ears, and you can hear it in these youtube demos.

For those of you wondering if it's like a Klon. It's nothing like it. It does it's own thing. For further evidence that it isn't, it doesn't affect my Timeline in any way. For those that don't know, there's even threads about it on here, the Klon's buffer affects the Timeline in a way that causes the Timeline to create a noise/hiss when you turn the grit up and in certain settings.. The Voyager doesn't do that.

4. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Does it have the same buffer as the Klon (I'd be happy it didn't do that to your timeline)? I definitely hear Klon like characteristics but it's got its own thing going on.

5. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Supporting Member

The Voyager is not buffered, it does have a charge-pump similar to a Klon.

6. patdeezel

patdeezel Member

Yeah man. It's not buffered. It doesn't affect your Timeline at all. Yeah it has Klon like characteristics. But it really does it's own thing.

And BTW, my criticism of it is just my opinion. It doesn't work for me, but it may work for others.

7. tinkercity

For sure! Interesting about the descriptions though from others about its EQ. Tightening up the bass, rolling off some highs and adding a certain upper mid character. Never quite understood the Klon-like pedals EQ spectrum quite so well until this thread. Given those specs I can see why it would shine more in a band context than at home or solo.

8. justnick

Thanks! Glad it was helpful!
    n

9. telepunk

telepunk Member

The Voyager actually DOES do the whining noise with the grit knob with my Timeline. It isn't a big deal because it is only certain grit settings on the digital and dual delays. And, I don't use the grit on the digital delay models so it doesn't really matter to me. I contacted Strymon and they said it was the charge pump. That is apparently why the Klon does it too. It's the charge pump, not the buffer.

10. telepunk

telepunk Member

Yes great demos...

"this pant...these pants..."

So funny!

Also, nice job showing off the pedal.

11. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

that was a lot of walking. even still, it was by a large mile, the best memo of the walrus arial voyager pants i've heard. not kidding, the run through & commentary was helpful & egged me, enough to forsake the falcon and pursue the voyager.

the coloration was klon-esque.

how is the compression? the klon has the compression that really makes it an easy pedal to play with gain, but doesn't squash the taters out of the tone.

12. justnick

Heh. Thanks to you both. I'm glad you pliked it.

Umm, well it was sort of interesting: the pedal kinda does a compression/expansion thing. I mean it probably doesn't really, but it feels and sounds a bit like it increases dynamic range in the high mids while also attenuating the transients like a "normal" overdrive. I know that makes no sense at all, but let's just say it's a fairly dynamic pedal with an eq voicing that makes a darker amp sound and feel really lively.

How's that for plague?

n

13. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Yep this is what I hear as well. I think my coming Aluminum Falcon would be better for me.

14. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I think the compression and the smoothness of the gain in the pedal is what's great about it. But it's pretty muddy from mid gain onwards. Pretty clear on low gain though

15. telepunk

telepunk Member

Not to defend the pedal, because honestly everyone has such different preferences and rigs, but my experience is not that the pedal gets muddy when you turn up the gain. It CAN sound very muddy if you don't adjust the tone throughout the gain range, but I find it to be quite clear and have good string definition even in the higher gain ranges. The key is in the tone knob.

16. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

This x1000. It view for most every dirt pedal too.

17. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

And certainly for a Klon :)

I REALLY would love to know if someone can, with authority, confirm Klon origins for this pedal. And also how close it is. I actually think it would be really cool if someone has used the Klon circuit as a jumping off point for a pedal with its own tweaks and attributes which they are marketing on its own merits.

If it's simply a straight up clone I find that less interesting.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos

18. tinkercity

:agree I will say that the Voyager sounds great in a band context. Giving it another round tonight but it basically helped the tone jump out of my amp when every other pedal couldn't. At home by myself, the Voyager just didn't really do much but in a band context it's completely different. Suffice it to say, probably a shared sentiment with all the Klon family.

19. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

WOW. did i just get a melon?
    my Voyager finally came in the mail today and holy crap... it sounds like i'm playing it through somebody's nose!

the only usable setting was as a preamp or "clean boost" and even that stacked with my other ODs, it... just... doesn't sound like the other demos i heard.

my other ODs sound great through my current rig, so what gives?!?!!

it sounds so 'honky' no matter how much i tweak the settings.
    did i get a lemon?

i was really hoping this pedal would kick something off my board, but nope, not a chance. i'm most likely going to return it. (insert sad face)

20. thesooze

thesooze Member

Bought new or used?