NPD: Walrus Audio Voyager

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by telepunk, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

brand-spankin' new.

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

from who/dealer? curious.

3. Footbutt

Prymaxe. they had to send a second pedal because the first one never arrived.
    bummer. i really had high hopes for this thing.

4. sanhozay

well, follow up & let us know if it's a bum pedal and how walrus audio handles it. sometimes those awkward beginnings can still lead to a good thing.

5. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

Drag. Hey, sorry if you mentioned this before, but what guitar/amp/speaker are you using with it?

n

6. Footbutt

i'm using a MIJ Fender Jaguar with a 18w Marshall Clone with a 1x12 Celestion V30 cab.

and like a said, my Timmy and Rook sound fantastic through my set up, just not the Voyager.

7. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

[​IMG]

You just got a melon.

8. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

Well I've never tried a Timmy or a Rook, but am I correct in thinking they have a flatter eq curve than something like the Voyager? If so, maybe this pedal does have too much high mid boost and presence for your rig? I can imagine amps where that might be the case for some tastes.

9. Footbutt

could be. i was so shocked that when i set the knobs to "Rhythm" my nice, full-sounding amp suddenly sounded like i was playing out of a 6" speaker and a cardboard box!

i hope i just had a melon, but man. i mean i owned an SD-1 once and that had more useful tone.
    yeah, must have gotten a bad one.

10. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

You gotta try it with a band. Or at least in some sort of mix. By itself, it will sound mid heavy.

11. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

That just killed any chance of me getting one. I want my pedals to work in any situation, not just specific ones.

12. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

ive found that it takes sometime to get the pedals to work/set for your/my gear.

but on the other hand, it could be a melon, or just not the pedal for you/your gear?

13. tinkercity

I definitely don't mean to say it sounds bad by itself. Not at all. It's a different kind of pedal. Tight in the low end and harmonically rich in the upper mids. Like the Klon it's really made to boost an amp on the verge and shines in a band mix. The same issues were had with Klon users who didn't like the feel or tone when played quietly at home. My 2 cents :) Walrus makes some nice stuff.

14. SmilingDave

SmilingDave Supporting Member

Just got mine today from Prymaxe -- I'm looking forward to trying it out tomorrow ...

15. sanhozay

your comment is BY FAR the GREATEST reply i've ever read after a user described their new pedal as - sounding like their playing it through somebody's nose.

i picked a good day to read tgp.

16. tinkercity

Lol.. Its not that I don't think he had those reactions, it's just that in a band mix it really shines. I remember I felt the same way about the KOT and people love that pedal. It's was like blanket on my amp with it on. But, I never brought it out so I didn't give it's full potential.

17. sanhozay

just jiving, brian. i'm gonna pick one up and see for myself. i really can get most pedals to sound good, but somebody else's nostrils might be a challenge!

i'll start with the voyager but their fuzz pedal sounds great!

18. tinkercity

Haha Totally. The "Nostril Challenge"

19. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

I think the phrase you should use is play it at gig levels. There are lots of dirt pedals that sound like crap in your bedroom with the volume below 9 o clock. Open it up and get it loud and the Voyager shines.

20. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

so i picked mine up from the post box today. been anticipating this pedal quite badly!

so i opened up the box and sure enough, the pedal looks nice. i pulled off the base, and saw where they had semi gooped some parts, by covering the details only.

Now for my actual thoughts.......

i dont know if this is normal, and all your pedals are the same, or wether they send inferior makes to overseas buyers?? there were two things i didnt like about the build.

1/ the footswitch felt so bad, like it wouldnt take long for it to break! luckily it will be in a looper, so it wont be stepped on much, so im all good with that.

2/ my biggest peeve....... the top mounted power jack! not that its top mounted, but rather that its pcb mounted, recessed right inside the pedal (not flush or protruding at all), and a crudely cut hole, with a rubber bung to make it look nice,, and you have to poke the power lead into the inside of the pedal to plug it in!! What the!!

But more importantly..... the sound!!

Ok, so played with my duesy, into the newcastle, into a 2x12 with gold and greenback speaker.

1/ the clean boost for me was nice, very transparent for me to be honest? wasnt much difference between boost setting, and the pedal being off, go figure!

2/ turning the drive up was real nice. got all gritty like the tim i have, but it worked much better for me than the tim. it had clarity/character for me personally. it had this presence thing going on, and as others have said, the more you turn the drive up, the more pronounce the mids become. which i liked, and definitely would be awesome in a band setting, and through FOH. def be different for bedroom players.

I like the tone knob past 12, as my amp is dark, and its perfect, it seems to cut the bass, but does not become bright and harsh at all.

So overall, apart from a few build quality issues for me, i like the sound of the pedal a lot! (still hating on the power jack)