NPD: Walrus Audio Voyager

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by telepunk, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

when i tried it out, i did have my amp cranked to normal playing volumes. for some reason, it just didn't have any useful sound in my rig.

sent it back and i'll be sticking with my Timmy. i might try a KOT, and if it works, it could replace my Rook and Leonard OD (considering the latter gets fixed).

2. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

If you're looking for bright then a blues breaker circuit (KoT, Hot Cake, Butah, or God forbid the Morning Glory...) would be the route to go. I've only played the Voyager through my AC15 and Blues Jr., both of which I run a tad dark, but they are still really bright anyway. Maybe it's just one of those pedals that doesn't work with every amp. I don't think you got a lemon, I think you let your ears decide what's best which is sort of unique around here :D

3. telepunk

telepunk Member

Sorry the Voyager didn't work out for you Footbutt! It is true that sometimes pedals can be very rig dependent. I think this is especially true of overdrive pedals.

My lead guitar player has the exact same amp as I do, and our guitars even share a similar bridge pickup, but his Mustang sounds completely different from my Tele. And, as a result, his drive pedals are completely different from mine. I was really shocked when he bought a Blackstone Overdrive. It sounds super awesome through my rig, and it just sounded overly dark and flat with his rig. We did some swapping to see what it was and played with the internal trimmers, and the end result was that it was mostly the guitar. The same thing happened with the Fulldrive 2. Great, thick, TS drive on my rig (best TS so far for me), but just sort of crappy and not full with his rig. But, his guitar sounds awesome through his Timmy and Jekyll and Hyde. I, on the other hand did not think the Timmy was that special through my rig.

I am still really enjoying my Voyager. I think the main setting it will stay at for me is the "dynamic mid drive" I listed earlier in this thread with the volume a little higher than I originally listed.

Now that I have had more time to play through the Voyager, I will say I may have made it sound more "tonally transparent" than it is. It is VERY transparent in the sense that you hear your playing, guitar, amp, and dynamics come through clearly. It is not completely tonally transparent in that there is a very specific mid-boost and an added presence to the notes that others have all noted. It does make individual notes and strings "bolder" in a sense. The midrange is nothing like a TS, but there is absolutely a boost in the midrange, especially when compared to my Morning Glory. I have not played a Klon, but based on what I have read about it I can see why people compare the Voyager and the Klon.

It certainly does not sound nasally through my rig at all unless I roll the tone WAY back. But, again, that is going to have a lot to do with the amp and the settings on the amp. I have found that, as I have also read about the Klon, the Voyager reacts differently with different amp gain and volume setting MORE so than most overdrives. All overdrives are going to be affected by the level of gain and volume, but the Voyager specifically shines at certain levels for me. Thankfully, it sounds best pushing my amp at the levels I normally run it where it sounds best with my other drives. And, that also fortunately is a point at which I am running manageable volumes - maybe because my amp breaks up pretty early in the preamp stage (AC15C1 with JJ tubes).

4. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

I also found the Voyager to work well for me live with blackface type amps. I can imagine that the high mid push might be too much for some with a very midrangey amp.

Another low-med gain OD I've really been digging lately is the Spaceman Aphelion. It has similarly super-dynamic characteristics, but the push is a bit lower in the middle of the midrange, and even some low mids. You can dial up how much with the single see-saw type tone control. I think it would work VERY well with a more mid-rangey amp in a similar application to the Voyager or Klon-like pedals.

n

5. telepunk

telepunk Member

I would love to see an Aphelion demo from you Nick. It's the only other drive I am currently interested in.

6. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

Coming soon, I promise.

n

7. telepunk

telepunk Member

Sweet!

8. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Do you guys find it more useful pre or post other overdrive pedals? or has it become your main od?

I have a KOT and the Voyager is on pre at the moment cause you know how the last one on the chain dominates the tone color? I like the color of my KOT better and just using the voyager as gain staging the KOT. Normally a job for my TIM but I'll have to test them at a gig tomorrow see who wins. In bedroom setting the TIM wins at this stage as the Voyager is too smooth for my usage. But at gig level? I'll find out soon

9. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

I have mine last. The way it tightens up everything and with the presence thing it's got going on really helps to get my signal out when I need it. I'm still giving it a trial period but it's a cool pedal. I play with a Magic Brit and a Silverface Princeton.

10. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

My drives are tubescreamer, blues breaker, voyager, timmy.

11. hanjin

hanjin Member

I just received my voyager and with my swampash tele/vox ac15 combo, I already like the tonal signature of the voyager more than my fulldrive or timmy. It's not nearly as gritty in my rig as the timmy was, and compared to the timmy, has a fullness to the tone that I like a lot so far.

mcdes - I feel your pain about the power jack. The power jack BARELY lines up with the hole, making it difficult to secure a power supply without it falling out.

12. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Yea, what is the deal with that power jack?

13. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

The thing is, it isn't held by anything but the solder joins, so if u move it! It will break the connections. Hence the preference to be chassis mounted, or similar.

14. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

No, I know what's wrong with it. Why the heck would they do that? Hope they have good customer service for when they start snapping off.

15. mmcm4

mmcm4 Member

It's a lot faster to have a surface mounted jack that can quickly be soldered.

16. telepunk

telepunk Member

Agreed - similar setup for me.

17. telepunk

telepunk Member

This is how I like it best too.

18. dapeegoo

dapeegoo Member

Does anybody stack a Timmy with the Walrus Voyager? Does it sound better Voyager > Timmy or Timmy > Voyager? What settings do you have on each of them?

I have a HBOD that stacks really well with the Timmy (HBOD > Timmy), but I can't seem to find the best settings when stacking the Voyager + Timmy together.

19. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Sounds better Voyager>Timmy to me, pushes the Timmy very well.

20. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

got one. dig and need to utilize it with band at full volume to know what it'll do.

but - build quality is top shelf. no goop on mine and no probs with wonky power jack. it is recessed and has a rubber grommet to allow the metal to remain covered and the jack sits securely on the board & slightly back from the cavity. it is not an issue. very neat & well designed board. all the good stuff visible to the eye but the chips are gooped to keep their values discreet.

the sound is complex because the sweep of the gain pot changes the projection of the mids & and dynamics of the pedal, which works in tandem with the tone control. the opposite of a lot of newer overdrive pedals occurs. meaning, the gain goes up on the voyager and the tone does too, to help with clarity and prevent too much woof.

the presence of the mids is very pleasing and the dynamics are excellent. as more of a preamp it does the similar klon thickening & mid lift. the gain is smooth & close to a ts808 in both amount of gain on hand and "that" kind of overdrive coloration.

will keep at it and will need to review what kind of overdrive i'll regulate it too. i don't use many overdrives and presently have been using a red snapper. i thought the voyager might clash with the purpose of the red snapper but it's a very, very different color and feeling pedal.

so far, i'm happy i made the purchase.