NPD: Walrus Audio Voyager

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by telepunk, Apr 17, 2012.

1. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

Played it tonight at church with in ears, packed house, Yada Yada

This pedal was awesome. Really loved the drive I got from it.

Played with a clean amp, the the voyager set with vol-10:30, tone-12:30, and gain at 2:00.

Haven't had a chance to stack it yet.

2. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

wow I keep changing my opinion on the Voyager. I played it tonight at gig level mic'd and through in ear monitors. I'm loving it. It's smoother that my Tim and really liking the compression quality and clarity it brings. I ran it Vol 10 o'clock, tone around noon - 1, gain 9-10 o'clock. Running Strat - TIM - KOT - Voyager - DMB. I think it's a keeper.

3. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Totally agree with everyone's comments so far, including the nasal issue. I've come to the conclusion that when used in a live band context, whether your amp is on the verge, breaking up already or even clean - it's a game changer. With volume knob roll off you get so many different shades and tones. It's the type of pedal that helps to project your playing in a very pleasing way through a dense mix - neither brittle or muffled. It's slightly hard to explain to be honest. I really appreciate it in the last spot after all fuzzes and OD's. When everything gets a little unfocused or I need a solo to poke out through everything the Voyager really helps. All those years of reading about Klon experiences finally make sense.

4. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Yes this

5. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Supporting Member

I received mine today and won't have a chance to use it until tomorrow night's rehearsal, but I did open it and took a couple of photos (sorry for the poor quality).

Mine, is serial number 00259 and was manufactured 4-23-2012 and the op-amps are gooped.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the PCB mounted power jack, which I agree is not an optimal design. I checked and both my RA and straight plugs go in fine on both my PP2+ as well as my Cioks DC10, but I don't love the fact that there is a gap of about 3/32 on the side of the jack where the enclosure's opening is. The jack is also slightly askew.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The enclosre is slightly larger than an MXR. I keep an extra dual-locked bottom around for checking out pedals and the Voyager's box was too big. I wish Walrus Audio took some cues from other builders and left the rubber feet off. It is nice to decide for yourself If you want them on or not and pulling the clear feet off left residue from three of them, nothing a little naptha couldn't take care of. I also like what Skreddy does; where there is a snap on the 9V battery connector if you wish to not use batteries. The Voyager shipped without a battery. Here is a pic for size comparison with a small Skreddy sized baseplate.

[​IMG]

6. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

Where can one buy this pedal?

7. ChaseTMP

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  8. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

i used my voyager last night.

i think...

it has tube screamer / klon like gain when set high and the mid reedy honk often attached to that time of gain. it can get quite dark but the tone is very useful in opening up that congested sound. btw, some people like that sound and it's useful for single line playing. a little too smooth for my tastes.

this pedal has good dynamics and can be set quite loud and with a lot of gain; useful if you like varying your pick attack.

the low gain mid lift chubby & cleanish at the same time, famous klon attribute, are present here. it's what really makes the pedal fun if you have an amp you want a little more of, without changing the coloration by too much. the pedal colors but think rainbow, not blanket. yeah, stupid way to describe it but if you have been playing with a similar sound and you like it but want more of it to sit out front then this is why the klon is the pedal everybody wants. the voyager does exactly that. it's not pure, no change tone. but it sounds that way when you play with other people because the pedal pushes itself out front more. it's a cool sound. i still think my red snapper is a more unique sound but they could live together on the same board very well.

9. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Nice review. I never quite understood the need for the EQ and coloration of a Klon or Klon like pedal until using the Voyager live. Brilliant little boxes.

10. telepunk

telepunk Member

I agree. I played it live again last night and it just killed for rhythm in the mix. It really cut through and had a nice thick, full sound, but somehow sort of keeps the sound of your amp/guitar and keeps the guitar "out front" It still sounds good to me at home at lower volumes, but it's great in the mix because of the specific midrange frequency and "presence" thing it has going. I guess that's "the Klon" thing. As I have stated I have never played a Klon, but I get the point.

11. telepunk

telepunk Member

So, another interesting observation. With the volume at 9 o'clock, the drive at 3 o'clock, and the tone at about 1:30 you get this nice thick drive sound that drops some of that signature upper midrange of the other Voyager settings and sounds very similar to my Fulldrive 2, but with a little more body and punch. Very nice.

12. telepunk

telepunk Member

Added some cool silver aluminum knobs:

[​IMG]

13. picbiff

picbiff Member

I would like to know if anyone has paired the Voyager with the Walrus Mayflower and if so let me know your opinions.

14. ChaseTMP

I'm pretty sure, Telepunk, will chime in, he has both.

15. dapeegoo

dapeegoo Member

I love stacking my Mayflower after my Voyager for a high gain sound. I also stack the mayflower with my honeybee. Best combo i have played!

16. dapeegoo

dapeegoo Member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  17. telepunk

telepunk Member

Sorry guys I've been off the grid as far as TGP has been concerned. The Mayflower -> Voyager combo is the best most versatile combo I've ever had. They sound good alone and together. I have the Mayflower set for my edge of breakup sound and the Voyager for a good medium drive. Together, it's the most full, complete, beautiful overdrive sound I have had so far. It's the kind of thing where you hit a chord and it makes you smile.

Honestly, that's another part of the reason why I have been posting less. I am really happy with my whole board these days. I played tonight and thought to myself that I really only needed my Walrus pedals for drive.

18. danonbass

danonbass Member

I checked out the pics in your sig and I really like your board. I was wondering how you incorporate the Morning Glory with the two voyager pedals. Thanks!

19. telepunk

telepunk Member

I use the Morning Glory and the Mayflower for different textures of low gain drive. The Voyager is for midlevel gain and higher gain when stacked with one of the low gainers. The Aphelion can be used the same way, but also works well as a high gain pedal on the bridge pickup.

20. inystad

inystad Member

How does the Morning Glory stack with the Voyager compared to the Mayflower+Voyager? If you could only choose two of your dirt pedals, which one would you pick? (for versatility) :)