NPD: Wampler Plextortion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bentayuk, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

I picked up a Wampler Plextortion in trade for my Carl Martin Plexitone single today. The latter was a great pedal, no doubt about it, and through my Hot Rod Deluxe it just screamed!

But it's main purpose is my back up pedalboard rig, and through my EHX 44 Magnum it just lost all its character. Plus I couldn't handle the single tone knob on the Plexitone, I was constantly adjusting it, it was either too low or too high.
    Finally, the gain knob went from mid to high gain by Noon, and then it after 2pm it didn't do much else.

I have 3 other Dist/OD pedals on my board (Tight Metal, Musket, Riot clone) and they all sound great with the Magnum. So it had to go.

I haven't had a chance to play this yet, but the 3 EQ, Vintage/Modern switch and apparently more active Gain knob has me in high hopes!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  2. Bentayuk

Ok, so after a 2 hour jam with it last night, I am VERY pleased! It does all the Marshall tones in looking for, doing all the Ozzy tones I'm after, with some other classics inbetween.

It doesn't sing as much as the Plexitone, especially not with the split coils. But I have found in place of this, it really loves a boost which just makes it scream!

The 3-band EQ is a BIG improvement for me, I've found I can really dial in better tones with it. The Vintage/Modern switch is interesting, it has a big effect on tone, with significant increase in gain and brightness of the overall sound.

I LOVE the Vintage mode boosted, just Jake E Lee all day long!

The Plextortion and Plexitone are definately very different beasts, and I think I've made the right choice with my current setup.

3. Ivo

Ivo Member

Grats, man! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Always glad to see new gear working out splendidly.

4. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

it's a great pedal as is the superplex

5. Bentayuk

Is that the Super Plextortion? I really wanted to try one, but they're pretty hard to come by.
    How does it compare to the Plextortion?

6. garage-s

garage-s Member

Hey, saw your post on Kijiji last week, good to know some other gear head in Calgary!!! :JAM

Love my Sovereign, always wanted a Plexitorsion as well :love:

7. Bentayuk

Haha, yeah. I'm a regular gear trader around town, I've found some killer deals on kijiji. If I'm not at work, I'm generally gear hunting around Calgary.

8. don550

don550 Supporting Member

Hi,

I have a question for the Plextortion owners out there. I recently obtained a Plextortion form GC and the Treble and Bass knobs don't seem very responsive.. I really can't hear a huge difference in the knows are turn fully clock wise or counter clockwise... The Mid know however is very responsive. Not sure if I got a bad pedal .. Would love to get some feedback from the owners of this pedal on the responsiveness of the treble and bass controls.

9. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

I got a plextortion n a radial bones london .the radial got more gain on tap.the plextortion is a good pedal but its not all whats cracked up to be.n it does sound better with humbuckers

10. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Not a SuperPlex. The super has a three position boost switch, instead of the two position.

11. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

I have an original Super Plextortion, his best MIAB as far as I'm concerned.
    Thinking of putting it up for trade...

12. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

Plextortion was probably my favorite "Marshall" sounding pedal I've ever owned after trying all the popular ones on TGP. The three band EQ definitely helps it not get lost in the mix at all.