NPD: Williams Vintage Tone MK11 Professional OC81D

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 2061X, Feb 8, 2012.

1. 2061X

2061X Member

Yesterday my new Williams Vintage Tone MK11 Professional OC81D arrived. I ordered it few weeks ago from Williams Audio. The man behind this company is Nick Williams, who is a great guy to deal with. The customer support is top notch and he responds to mails as prompt as possible. He is very enthusiastic and obviously very passionate about his work.

Now I've been able to 'satisfy' (does one ever have enough Fuzz?) my needs for Fuzzface-style Fuzz last year, so I decided to start exploring the world of the Tonebender. After reading TGP and other helpful resources, I came across the Williams Audio website. The good reviews, limited waiting period and convenient size of the pedal pulled me over to order a MK11 replica from this builder.*

I only had about one hour to give the pedal a short test drive with my Les Paul and a Fender Champ. One thing that becomes immediately clear is this MK11 brings a wonderful, smooth and singing sustain. The tones are warm, rich and very musical. It reacts beautifully to the dynamics of picking and to the volume knob of the guitar. And did I already mention it is smooth? This pedal certainly begs for more playing time. I'm especially looking forward to play it loud through my Marshall 2061X and - of course - in a band situation. So far, I'm very impressed with the MK11. Can't wait to play it again ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Looks good. Where do people come up with the 81D's ? Unless I missed it, I didn't see a price. I assume $300 to $400. Are they based in the UK ? If you could post a clip, that would be great!

3. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

If I remember correctly, he won a large lot of the green sleeve ones on ebay (they didn't go cheap) and there are other sources left but they dry up quickly.

Nick's a cool guy and definitely knows how to tune a nice Tone Bender (I've owned 3 now). He is based in the UK.

4. zerorez

zerorez Member

Glad to hear you are pleased with the Williams MKII, Nick is a great guy and tunes the TB circuits with lots of mojo to the old school 60's vibe. His customer service and communication are top notch. :aok

Here are some pics of my MKII from Nick that I purchased last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 2061X

2061X Member

Williams Audio is located in the UK as itkindaworks already mentioned. The price was £245 (includes shipping) which in my opinion is a great price for a pedal with such rare transistors and such high built quality. For me - I live in the Netherlands - buying from the UK (as opposed to eg. the US) also has the advantage of not having to pay import taxes.

Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment to make a decent clip. Maybe I can borrow something; I'll look into that.

@zerorez: your review was among the ones that pulled me over to buy this pedal, so thanks for that!

6. shawnpurcell

shawnpurcell Member

Nick is a top notch builder and person!!!!

I have a MKII with the OC81 (not the D) and it is awesome!!!

I'd also love to hear clips of the OC81D!!!

7. sweetrock

sweetrock Member

I've just ordered a mk.II and a Ranger .

I must say that Nick Williams is a great guy and always online to help .

Can't wait for the pedals .

Thanks Nick !

Hakan :)

:beer

8. Zelig

Zelig Member

I also have a OC81D and it's great. It doesn't have a led and that switch that I don't know what it is.

And Nick is a great guy to deal with.

I want a MK.1 and when I have the money I will order it from him.

P.S. - And now for the Eric Johnson moment: change that Duracell Pro battery to a Duracell Ultra or Plus. It will sound even smoother.

9. zerorez

zerorez Member

Just a battery kill switch for the pedalboard usage, so you can leave the patch cords plugged in.