1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

NPD: Xotic BB MB

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by plan-x, May 24, 2011.

1. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

This pedal's footprint is pretty small and adjusting the mid knob is a PITA. Someone with large hands and big fingers would not be able to reach that knob at all. Was it designed by midgets!

On the positive side, the pedal sounds great. Very full bodied tone. I've got the bass and treble around 2:00ish and the mid at 10:00 with single coils. It has booted a few pedals off the board in the mid gain camp and is a contender in the dirty-low gain camp as well.

2. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

I have wanted to try this pedal. I liked the regular BB, but didn't think it cut through the mix as well as my Plimsoul. Have you played a Plimsoul? Can you compare the two?

3. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

You're a Barber fan right? You're spoiled on the size thing now!

4. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I had a Plimsoul and loved it, but my BB MB kicked it off the board. They cover similar terrain, but the BB MB has MUCH better note decay (the Plim always had a fizzle in the decaying note). I also find the BB to be more dynamic, works better into other pedals, and has better tone control. I should mention that I was using the Plim primarily with gain2 set high and gain 1 set low, and use Les Pauls.

Also, as for the BBMB's mid control, just use your pointer finger. You don't need two fingers at all; just put pressure on the top and rotate your finger. (That's what she said).

5. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Yeah, but I've been playin a game now called "Boot the pedal off da board". And this BB kick a Barber off. It's really got some EQ power behind it. It can do some great stuff. Especially in the lower mid gain, fat city!

6. papersoul

papersoul Member

What do you guys think of the BB MB compared to the stock BB?

The standard BB already has a slight mid hump....so is the BB MB necessary?