NPDs Tech 21 FlyRig5 and some OD's

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fusion_21, Feb 21, 2015.

1. fusion_21

fusion_21 Member

Just got my FlyRig5 yesterday after tracking down the UPS guy in 2" of sleet and more coming down...LOL

This unit is very small, nice footprint, feels very well built and sturdy.

I also got a few OD pedals to try out too, the Caline Pure Sky and the Caline Orange Burst.

My signal chain is as follows: Guitar > Pure Sky > Orange Burst > FR5 > Audio Interface > Studio Headphones.

My guitar is a Strat with Seymour Duncan Custom Stack Plus in the Neck and Middle positions and a JB Jr. in the Bridge position.

I've spent about 5 hours playing with the FR5 and the Caline pedals and here are my thoughts. Now also know that this could all change once I get it hooked up at my church into the PA as opposed to my headphones at home.

I should also mention that I'm not looking for something that does Heavy rip your face off distortion, I've mellowed over the years, so your mileage may vary.

Good:
    * Good clean sound using the Sans Amp alone, kind of Fender like to me, at least what I have experienced with one.
    * Delay and Reverb are pretty solid sounding and work well
    * Solid build, foot switches are good, small form factor
    * Works really well with the two OD pedals in front. Can get 4 usable sounds when using the Sans Amp alone (clean) or with the Pure sky (Mild Breakup) or with the Orange Burst (AC/DC) or all 3 combined (Van Halenish).
    * Using the Plexi section with the Orange Burst can give me some Scorpions sounds.
    * Very quiet except for what I mentioned down below.

Things I don't Like:
    * Using the Plexi section alone just sounds flubby no matter how much I tweak. With the Pure Sky doesn't sound good at all.
    * Pressing the Hot switch just doesn't work for me at all, don't like it. Maybe I need to spend more time tweaking but I'm going to go insane if I keep fiddling with it.
    * It's noisy with the Hot and Plexi and Pedals running.

Even with the Things I don't like it's still a very viable solution for me. A few things I don't like that are related to the FR5 and my guitar are. When using the bridge pickup it tends to sound a little thin for some reason. I can't seem to get it dialed out. Of course the Neck pickup is nice and fat, creamy sounding but dang that bridge pickup. Not sure what to do to fix that? Any help would be appreciated.

What's next:
    * Hook it up to the PA at Church and see how it sounds through my IEM's.
    * Add my other pedals that I ordered that will be here Monday (MXR Dyna Comp, MXR Carbon Copy, MXR M234 Chorus).
    * Might pickup the Liverpool Character Pedal and give it a try instead of the FR5.

So that's basically it in a nutshell.

As far as the Caline Pedals, they actually sound pretty darn good. They will do for now at least.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. fusion_21

fusion_21 Member

My list of things I don't like about it got shorter....the more I tweaked it the better it has gotten. I'm thinking this is going to stay on my pedalboard after all.

Still have to test hooked up to PA, hopefully tomorrow I'll get to.

3. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Thanks for the review. I'm looking at getting one as a traveling kit.

4. fusion_21

fusion_21 Member

No problem, I think it's a pretty good piece of gear. Just takes a little time tweaking settings is all.

5. fusion_21

fusion_21 Member

Trying to get my music minister to get the board turned on for me so I can work with my pedals and dial in the sound sometime this week and every day I mention he's like, lets see? I just get aggravated because he never wants to do anything sound wise unless it involves something he wants to do. Just wanting to get it close and then if we actually have practice this week the sound guys can tweak it with the full band. Not even going there talking about them....ughhh!!!

6. fusion_21

fusion_21 Member

I like the MXR Carbon Copy but really need something that can do dotted 8ths and has tap tempo. I ended up buy a JHS Panter Cub and should have it this Friday.

7. fusion_21

fusion_21 Member

Dang I'm fickle, if I can cancel my order for the Cub I'm might go with the Eventide H9 instead...talk about going from one extreme to the other.

8. holden_caufield9

holden_caufield9 Member

The amp simulation is in the blonde section. When you engage the plexi with the blonde activated it removes the tone stack from the blonde and gives you a marshall amp tone. You should only use the plexi by itself if you're playing in front of an amp. It's basically just a built in distortion pedal and not a stand alone amp sim.

I hope that makes you like the plexi more. I really like mine and hardly ever use the blonde by itself anymore.

9. fusion_21

fusion_21 Member

I'm running my direct to FOH, no amps on stage. I actually got it dialed in more and do like the Plexi side of it more.

10. rewihendrix

rewihendrix Member

To make the plexi less flabby, decrease the gain, put a touch more gain in the sans amp section, and put the boost on.

This works for me.

Consider an actual plexi which were always flabby sounding. To tighten it up you either need a tube screamer in front that gets rid of some low end, or reduce the gain.

11. fusion_21

fusion_21 Member

Finally got to use the new rig at practice at church this evening....wow, it truly sounded great. I'm so happy with it, it also sounded great in the IEM's which was something I was worried about. This is going to be a much easier setup/tear down/drag around setup for me. Should of done this sooner....LOL

I was also worried about having noise issues when not playing but it was dead quiet, even with the guitar volume up and my hands off of the guitar.....no noise whatsoever.

I've already replaced the MXR Carbon Copy and probably the MXR M234 Chrous with a Eventide H9 that will be here tomorrow.