NRG Effects Purrer Dual-Gain Overdrive

jimbugg

Silver Supporting Member
So, amidst my recent obsession with the Spaceman effects stuff, I've had the pleasure of trying out something else which has also really impressed me: the NRG Effects Purrer by Neil Grimes. It's an original design overdrive pedal with dual footswitchable gain controls, which gives you a really cool alternative to stacking overdrives. I found out about Neil, who's based in the UK, via Instagram, where his pedals have been featured on boards by people like Jonny Bird (guitars for Matt Redman, Martin Smith, Saint Raymond) and Simon Francis, bassist for Ellie Goulding. He's a really nice guy, and working with him has been great.

Essentially, Neil custom-builds his pedals (he also does a boost, a couple of fuzzes, various other things like patch bays and tap tempo switches, as well as mods) in small batches. We began talking about doing a Purrer in early January, and he began working on a run of six in February. Mine arrived last week.

One of the things that first stuck out to me about the NRG pedals is how colorful they are. Every knob is a different color, and Neil does hand-painted illustrations on every one. As you can see, mine features a cat wearing 3D glasses, but there have also been paw prints, a roaring cat, and even one with two different cats whose eyes were LEDs which lit up to show which gain toggle was activated. The wiring job inside the NRG pedals is also impeccable - build quality overall is really impressive, and there's even a little tag on the inside of the bottom plate which describes the pedal and who it was custom made for.

As far as sound: the Purrer rules. Neil describes it as a low-to-medium gain overdrive, but it covers a lot of territory from slight breakup to pretty gnarly crunch. In addition, it has both a treble and bass control, rather than a single tone knob, which I find very useful in dialing in the Purrer with different amps. I'm playing it through a Matchless Lightning and a vintage Supro, and have found that it works really well with either amp without much need to re-EQ the pedal overall; it's got a nice full presence in the upper-miss, but doesn't ever get nasally or overly compressed like a TS can. The controls, from left to right, are: Vol, Treble, Bass, Gain 1, Gain 2. Each gain knob has an LED underneath to show which level is activated. There are also two toggles, one to switch between open and asymmetrical clipping and the other to engage a slight volume boost when switching to Gain 2, so that it can be used for a solo boost as well as a gain boost. Of course, the footswitches turn the pedal on/off and select between the two gain levels.

Overall, the Purrer is just a really well-built, solid, and well thought-out overdrive pedal. It's versatile and super functional, and I've been pretty wowed by it's performance so far. Since there's nothing on TGP about Neil, and since most of us live in the US, I figured I'd start a thread to share about my experience with him and let others know about his pedals! They're definitely worth a try, especially if you're in the UK.

I have no affiliation to Neil, other than being a very happy customer. If you'd like, you can check out more of his work on Instagram: @nrgeffects. Neil also modded an RV-5 for me, adding a footswitch to engage modulate mode with the time set to maximum for a big, verby wash - a "favorite switch" of sorts.

Here are some photos of the Purrer:

Hitchens

Still loving it! The Purrer actually hasn't left my board since I posted this - it's a super versatile drive pedal.
Nice. What's the circuit? is it close to anything like a tubescreamer or klon? Is that JRC tranny in there?

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
These don't seem to get a lot of attention but most of the demos sound really cool and I love the configuration - Bass & Treble controls (which for me are almost a must) and the volume & gain controls for each channel.

Although I'm not much of a fan of the graphics and kiddy looking knobs I think one of these would work really nicely in my rig as a rhythm/lead drive solution.

I'd better start saving. UK pounds > Aussie dollars is a very ugly conversion.

effectsman

Just appeared in the latest pedal show at the 45:45 minute mark. Sounds good. Ouch on the price, especially after the AUS dollar to pound conversion and shipping. Worth a look for those that have the coin.

Grant Ferstat

Hey all. I haven't had a chance to even listen to it yet and for a variety of reasons won't really get to listen to it properly for about a week.

I'll keep you all posted for sure.

Grant Ferstat

Any updates?
Hey there.

I actually let the Purrer Dual go a couple of months ago.

It IS an extremely high quality, great sounding dual gain & volume overdrive pedal with a wide range of quality sounds available.
If you want two settings where one is an extension of the other it is absolutely perfect. For me though I need more independent EQ control of my lead and rhythm tones. I find I EQ those two sounds quite differently.

What is now being offered with some of the Monochrome duals might actuallly suit me better I think.

Tryston Bragdon

Silver Supporting Member
Hey there.

I actually let the Purrer Dual go a couple of months ago.

It IS an extremely high quality, great sounding dual gain & volume overdrive pedal with a wide range of quality sounds available.
If you want two settings where one is an extension of the other it is absolutely perfect. For me though I need more independent EQ control of my lead and rhythm tones. I find I EQ those two sounds quite differently.

What is now being offered with some of the Monochrome duals might actuallly suit me better I think.
Im thinking the same. Any combination ypu want and you can change the order or run parallel. Also he may stack 3 if you ask.

Trending Topics