NSD: Arturia MicroFreak

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by tjontheroad, May 6, 2019.

1. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Silver Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    Just got in the new Arturia MicroFreak. A very cool little synth with a touch capacitive keybed. Some very unique sound coming out of this thing :cool:

[​IMG]

2. mobius

mobius Member

I can't live with a touch keybed but I'd love to try it. I have the Minibrute and love it, Arturia is on a roll.

tjontheroad likes this.
  3. tjontheroad

The touch keybed is very cool and easy to get used to. You can play very fast on it like a finger drum. It’s great for playing bass lines. Plus, the polyphonic aftertouch control is almost worth the price by itself.

Crazyquilt and mobius like this.
  4. pcs9527

pcs9527 Member

The Sweetwater demo of this has definitely gotten me interested. It does seem like it's better for crazier sounds, or at least that's what demos show. Maybe because of the keyboard, it's harder to play leads, pads and basses on. Anyway, I'd love to try one out...have plans to grab a Matrix Brute for sure though.

5. tjontheroad

It can do crazy. It also can do much more. The keybed is fast playing once you get used to it. It's instant response as there's no key "play" like on a full sized traditional keyboard.

My MatrixBrute likes his new little freaky brother.

p.j. and GovernorSilver like this.
  6. NeuroLogic

NeuroLogic Supporting Member

I would like to buy a full/larger keyboard with touchpad. Does anyone make one?

7. tjontheroad

You mean a full size capacitive keyboard? Never seen one :dunno

8. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Buchla Music Easel has full size keys. However, less than 61 keys and if you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it :D

https://buchla.com/music-easel/

p.j. likes this.
  9. thecornman

thecornman Member

For those that have a problem with the keyboard it is really not to complicated to hook it up to any midi keyboard you want! It is not like the cheap smaller synths with mini keys are all that playable anyways and many people end up using different keyboards with them anyways. If I end up buying one it will be for the synth engine first and foremost.

Crazyquilt and tjontheroad like this.
  10. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

tjontheroad likes this.
  11. pcs9527

pcs9527 Member

That's good to know, I really need to just try one out. It's probably not too bad to get used to. The instant response and poly aftertouch are definitely cool ideas. I imagine the instant response really comes in handy for percussive sounds. And the speech mode seems like loads of entertainment...haha

How do you like the Matrix Brute? I'm very interested in purchasing one, as it seems to be able to do everything from classic Moog to crazy modern textures. No menus is a huge plus as well. I heard there were some bugs with MIDI, but I don't need that functionality (probably won't even use the sequencer at all.) But as a performance instrument it seems to be very flexible.

12. tjontheroad

I totally love the MatrixBrute. It has a huge range of sounds and very inviting to use. There are some known bugs. Arturia has said a firmware update is due by summer time.

13. pcs9527

pcs9527 Member

I've showed some people video demos of this synth and now everyone wants one. I hope at least one of these people gets one so I can try it out. If not I may just have to give in and buy one myself...

crumjack likes this.
  14. Allthesound

Allthesound Silver Supporting Member

Mine came in a couple days ago. Worth every penny. This lil synth is a blast!!!

[​IMG]

GovernorSilver and tjontheroad like this.
  15. p.j.

p.j. Member

Did someone say, "Father's Day Gift"?!! ;)

tjontheroad likes this.
  16. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I have almost no idea what I'm doing, although I've watched all the videos I can. Nevertheless, I'm having a lot of fun! The Freak was supposed to be my first jump up from Volcas, but I got impatient waiting, so now it's paired with a Behringer Model D/Arturia KeyStep. Rhythm is from a Volca Drum, and MIDI is even sent to my Boomerang.

Did I mention I was having fun!?

More seriously -- I've only messed with a few of the oscillators, and I'm slowly figuring out this whole modulation matrix thing, but I've learned a lot, and made really cool noises doing it. It is kind of overwhelming for a newb like me, but I'm taking it a little at a time. My intention is to use it for evolving droney stuff, random Bloom-esque bells & whatever else happens to come up.

Allthesound, p.j. and tjontheroad like this.