• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NSD New Snare Day.

slayerbear17

I picked up what dude said was a Vintage Snare. 7X14 I think? Haven't measured the height yet. I wanted to have a spare snare perhaps experiment with different skins or maybe even be the new snare for my recording kit. Pearl MIT.

Being a big fan of pin stripes, I never seen this style logo before, so I assumed it must've been an older style Snare with Skin.

I think I opened a big can of worms. Even before setting up the snare or trying it out, I immediately took the skins and snare wire off and wanted to polish the shell realizing it wasn't just dust.

Then I thought to go a step further, Paint it? My kit is all black.

Maybe having Silver is a nice contrast nobody see's except me?

I did a search of painting your steel snare, saw some pretty impressive results and I'm not new to prepping and painting. Some crazy paint schemes came into my mind. Black hammered finish? Purple with glitter Sparkles?

All in all I haven't decided what to do yet, at the very least it will be a polish and a new skin type I haven't tried Remo Ambassador.

ericdrmz

what is it, bad case of pitting ? you didn't show..
i've spraypainted a couple of wooden snares, but not metal ones..
you could also powdercoat (after sandblast) or have it chemically
'nickelized' (cheaper than chrome, cost me 60,-) looks 'tight'
or a car- or drum-wrap is another option (car-wrap if the surface is smooth,
because it is thinner than drum wrap)

Last edited:

wraub

Happy NSD!

My drum set is black, but my snare drum colors are ivory, orange, red/black fade, and steel. I don't worry about visuals behind the set, I worry more about sound and playability. The snare drums were gotten for their sonic differences.

That said, I don't really like the sound of the steel one, and I have considered a paint job for fun, but I've been more focused on playing.

7x14 is a larger than usual size, usually 14x5 or 14x5.5 are more common- I have a 7x13 I really like, it's got quite a pop.

slayerbear17

UPDATE. So doing some research, the snare looks to be 80's possibly 70's. Different fonts, MIT Republic of China stickers.

I decided then not to paint it but give it a good ole polish. Took everything apart and spit and shine lol.

I can't remember what I measured the depth at but certainly deeper then my 5 inch.

I've always been partial to pinstripes but when I heard my drummer play on the weekend, I couldn't believe the sound he was getting and he attributed to his Ambassador X Remo snare skin and top and bottomed mics.

So finish polishing the outside, got a skin being delivered today and hopefully do some recording tonight.

slayerbear17

The snare was only $60 CAD, I saw in the picture it had a muffler, so I figured what the hell. I'm not a drummer first, but been around drumkits long enough to know what I like if I ever decide to take it up seriously.

Right now it's just used for rough ideas and recordings.

That will probably all change in the new year. Maybe rent out the drum room and people can use the kit to record what they want and take it home to mix.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom