nu-metal distortion pedal with true bypass

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slingshotmb, Oct 8, 2006.

1. slingshotmb

slingshotmb Member

is there any out there.....
    im looking for a metal pedal but quality.i really dont want a modded mt-2...help.

2. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

Check out the Subdecay Blackstar for those sounds. It's gain ranges from vintage Black Sabbath to modern metal and has two drive knobs, one for gain and one for pre-gain low frequency which affects the character of the pedal.

3. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

The Blackstar didn't work for me. It's always fuzzy at higher gains and has no tonal shaping that I would consider right for Nu "Metal." You also need to be able to bias it correctly.

4. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

G2D Morpheus. A ton of diode clipping. Might sound better with an EQ.

5. $uperpuma

$uperpuma Member

I liked the Metal Muff...although the name pigeonholes it, it is really a fairly versatile pedal. The top boost if killer is you have a tube amp

6. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Member

Line 6 ToneCore Ubermetal is about the closest you're going to get with a pedal. At least with everything I've tried so far. DNA Gain Fxxker, G2D Morpheus, none of them got it nailed.

7. slingshotmb

slingshotmb Member

is the ubermetal TB

8. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

No and it sounds horrible.

Try the MI Audio Tube Zone...if it's not scooped enough go get an MXR 10-band EQ and put it after the TZ. Then put the two in a loop.

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

In my experience with the Uber Metal, it has excellent tone but absolutely no feel or response. It's like lip synching, almost. If you can live with that, you can't go wrong with the uber metal

10. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Member

Exactly! It's got that modeling amp type feel to it. Like there's a thousandth of a second delay between picking the note and actually hearing it.

If you get a cheap true bypass loop and put the Ubermetal in that you'll be cool.

I love the MI Audio Tube Zone, but it doesn't have enough gain for a Nu-metal sound. If you starting adding eq's it's going to get very noisy.:eek:

11. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

Ditto on the Ubermetal! I tried it out and there's this annoying delay between playing a note and hearing it.

I'm surprised the TZ doesn't have enough gain for nu-metal; I have the latest version and can't imagine anyone needing more gain.

I haven't tried one, but based a friend's recommendation, you might want to try the DNA Analogic Gainfxxker II. Seems to be marketed as a metal distortion pedal, but I read reviews where people claim it's more versatile than that. kinda pricey though...

12. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I bought Dave Simpson (above) 's Gain FXXKER FUKER FUCER FUCHER , whatever pedal , and absolutely LOVE IT, and I'd heavily recommend it for nu-metal as well as any type of distortion to anyone. (regardless of that he didn't like it for that, and sold it) . I have well over 50 pedals and it's in the upper echelon.. Of course with any of these pedals, they HAVE TO MATCH your amp or they sound like crud and something else will sound better.. I've used it with a few different amps so far and whether it's Nu-metal , or a glassy crunchy boost, it's a KICK BUTT pedal.

ERIC

13. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Member

Eric is right, the DNA definitely has the gain to do it. It's like he said also, the pedal has to work with the amp your using as well. If you're playing something with a speaker smaller than 12" it'll make a lot of difference in how the bottom end sounds.

14. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

The GainFxxer has a knob (haven't even noticed the name of it yet) but it adds or subtracts bass and also seems like it takes away mids as it adds lows. . (The manual was in Japanese so I'm not sure what that knob really does in 'technical/audio' terms.. BUT for matching it to your amps it's absolutely great, and/or for dialing in for different types of music it's great. There's a "CUT" control that also is interactive with that bass/scoop control also . I only use 12" speakers, so I'm not sure how the bass would sound thru 10's.. Typically a 4x10 cab is VERY tight , and this my loosen it up too much. The only 2x10 I have out of loads of speakers , is an old THD PLexi combo and I haven't tried the pedal with that yet.

Out of all of my other pedals, there aren't any that really do nu-metal sounds ON THEIR OWN very well.. .I mean it's really ez for me to get nu-metal sounds out of basic overdrives and my Tremoverb or Morin preamp or Engl stuff with no problem , but if you're looking for PEDALS that generate that type of sound , there really aren't that many out there that I've owned.
    Btw Dave, your pedal got from California to Vermont in about 2 days!! Fastest ever

Eric

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Actually, once myself and the other guitarist in an old band I was in engaged in some friendly guitar dueling/pseudo-shredding. We both started out in clean, which was where we happened to be in.

Him -> Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-O-Verb
    Me -> pedalboard and marshall AVT on clean channel.

He puts on this smirk as he eventually built up to that rectifier type of cutting distortion. When I clicked on my Hot British plus Boss EQ-20 (on preset number 3, mid scoop), he just gave me this shocked look like "YOU SOUND AS GOOD AS I DO". Truth is, the feel of the HB is an amazing pedal, and with the EQ-20 it's the best metal sound and response I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

It's so nice to have an array of basically any sound you can ask for, whether you need em or not (mid scooped distortion is a rarity for my uses, if ever)

16. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

Another one: AMT Electronics DuHast. Not sure if it's true bypass though.

17. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Member

I have the right contacts in USPS Eric.:cool: :rolleyes:

18. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

19. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

+1 on the Metal Muff.. quite impressive for the ultra heavy thing.
    I would also recommend the Zoom TM-01 Tri Metal.

20. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I will add that trying to get heavy sounds out of a pedal will be much easier with an EQ. A lot of people ignore the EQ side of things and look only at gain. A Recto doesn't sound heavy because it's got a lot of gain...it sounds heavy because it's moving a lot of air, has a huge bump in the low mids/high bass, and has a treble spike for bite.

The traditional opamp pedal will get fizzy or fuzzy without any real definition under high gain...reference DS-1's or TS-808's at higher gain...even Distortion+ units.

On the other hand, the pedals that get their distortion more from MOSFET boosting or sequential stages of volume boosting, like the OCD does to my ears, or the Box of Rock or whatever, tend to get that heavy impact, but it's usually not the "modern" voicing.

An OCD followed by EQ could probably get a lower gain "heavy" sound. But I think the Tone Zone would do better followed by an EQ. It's the low mids which is crucial which are never really addressed in traditional pedals.

I thought it'd be fun to have a parametric EQ, because I would want to do a high-pass at 80-100 Hz, low-shelf boost at about 180 of 6 to 10 dB...to simulate that 4x12 woof...but then a really narrow cut around 180 to 220 to get rid of the mud. That's what it looks like when I'm mixing heavy guitars. Plus the high end bite. From there I like the mids to be somewhat compressed and even...it'd be neat to have a really subtle midboost or contour as well as an overall mids level that would raise or lower 250 Hz to about 1 kHz...but then we're getting into enough EQ for an amp. A 10-band EQ could get you kinda close...

But I digress...