NUGD-Equator Mini

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Seriesnuns, May 1, 2015.

1. Seriesnuns

Seriesnuns Supporting Member

Newly used to me. Koa top with flame maple back with mahogany neck.

This is my second equator. I also have a Koa standard that was made 2010ish with a languedoc style headstock. I can for sure feel the size difference between the two along with the weight. The top plate is much thicker than my standard. It also is a bit wider.

I got this one with no electronics. Took me about 6 hours to wire it up in total and about 3-4 different tries between losing connections and grounds rubbing up against hot leads. I had a pair of Lollar el rayo's go in wired with series/split/parralell. I love these pickups with the tone rolled all the way down. I went with paper in oil 0.022cap. I now can probably pull out these electronics and re-install them now in about 20 minutes.

Finally playing and it feels great. The last owner had in it for setups so the relief and action feels good.. I still need to re-do the volume and tone lugs as the controls are backwards but I'm going to wait until next string change for that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. EDIGREG

EDIGREG Member

beautiful! I've never seen a piece of koa quite like that, almost a birds eye figure

Lets hear some sound/video clips!

3. Qmax

Qmax Member

Sorry man, had to laugh about the wiring. Can't tell you how many times things came disconnected pulling them through on me.

Congrats on the new guitar!

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Very unique wood.

Congrats!

5. jazzgtrl4

jazzgtrl4 Supporting Member

Very nice congrats. Im going to have to try some of those Lollar El Reyos.

6. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on acquiring that fine looking guitar.

Would really like to be able to try one some time in the future.

7. LJD

LJD Member

I dig the uncovered pickups in a HB. Tempted to try that.

8. Seriesnuns

If your ever in Mass hit me up.

I'm waiting on a cream tip for the 3 way.

I think it'll look tit once I get that on there color scheme wise. The binding color matches the pickup rings.

The fretboard was a little gummed up when I got it. 0000 metal mesh did wonders for it. Really brought the wood texture back.

I will try and get some sounds up with the El Rayos in. Lollar makes some great pickups.

9. PW214

PW214 Member

Wow, this is a beauty, HNGD

10. jazzgtrl4

jazzgtrl4 Supporting Member

YEs would love to hear this guitar with the El Rayos if you get a chance to make a demo.thanks

11. familybezerker

familybezerker Member

Congrats on your new arrival! You are in a small group of people who have both a Standard and a Mini and can compare the two.

I'm about a 1.5 years into my Standard build with David...

When you said "The top plate is much thicker than my standard. It also is a bit wider."

what did you mean about wider? Since the mini is smaller, shouldn't it be a bit narrower?

Would love to hear your opinion about the tonal comparison between the Standard and the Mini!

12. Seriesnuns

Ever since I got my standard I feel like I've been chasing around a guitar like it for a guitar to bounce around the house and take out and not be super worried about it.

I'm glad I picked up this mini at a good price. I love buying used gear.

The mini is noticeably thicker body wise and top plate wise than the standard. The bracing is also diffrent in the two. More bracing in the standard. I think my standard was also in the beginning stages of his designs. I notice my standard the top horn is noticeably thinner than the body and the body in the middle has a slight bulge I the center when you look at down from the top. Kinda arches/round looking. The mini is pretty straightforward front to back.

Just took a few measurements. Standard body depth ranges from 1 1/2" at the top horn to just over 2" in the middle to 2 1/4" on the lower horn. Top plate is 1/4" around the binding, less than that beyond it.

Mini body depth 2 1/4" all over. Top plate 3/8".

After handling both I would like to see a mini with bent sides and plates like the standard.

I did spend a little time comparing the two. I have diffrent pickups in both but the standard is more resonant than the mini. Not by much but you can notice. The standard is also more neck heavy because the body is so light. I couldn't use a webbed strap when I first got it. The mini has enough weight in the body to keep it balanced.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  13. familybezerker

familybezerker Member

Thanks for the measurements Seriesnuns. I had no idea that the Mini was actually slightly thicker overall than the Standard!