Number of the Beast (Helix Edition)

Guitarshreda

I've posted a few videos demonstrating my usage of the Line 6 Helix -- recently I recorded a new one with a new patch that I created. Here's my friend @DanH8482 and I covering Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast. I was very pleased with the outcome of this patch and we both used it when recording our parts. I hope you all enjoy the performance (and the cheesy edits to the video).

I make it a point to use everything in Helix (no 3rd party IRs or outside effects in the loop). I've been very pleased with what Helix can do and how its functioned for me. I've had mine since October 2015 and have been quite happy (other than the Mark V:25 channel switching issue...). After the holidays I'll be releasing this patch out into the wild. Enjoy!

EDIT --

Ok - demo video of the patch is up! A bit of gorilla video making for this demo...oh well. Gets the job done! The patch is available on my website for purchase: http://www.nickcutroneo.com/store

Last edited:

Guitarshreda

Very cool. If you could get another friend to do Steve Harris' parts it would be even better. :)

Agreed! Originally, everything would've been done with real instruments (save for the drums, which I wouldn't programmed) -- but with the holidays I had to get a backing track for this video.

Telejester

Yes - the Wah Tone isn't the same as on the original recording. This is probably a bit more "modern" Wah sounding...
Yeah, where on the original the wah sounds like the crybaby tones of its time, the wah tone on the clip sounds pretty cheap and unconvincing.

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
Great stuff Nick and Dan :)

You do realize of course that it would have sounded " much more real'er " if you had been using an Axe FX ...... ::D:D;););) ...... sorry I couldnt resist ..... wheres Nichloas when you need him :)

Seriously though ..... doesnt get much sonically better than that ..... awesome tone and awesome playing !!!!

Ben
Current Axe and Kemper owner and user

Guitarshreda

Yeah, where on the original the wah sounds like the crybaby tones of its time, the wah tone on the clip sounds pretty cheap and unconvincing.

The wonderful thing about tone is that it's subjective. I personally enjoy the tone I am able to get from my Wah setting on this (IE - the reason why I used it in the recording). With that said, the original isn't just the wah tone, but rather wah plus the flanger for the first solo.

Guitarshreda

@Sunburst71 @Razor and @thomasjg -- thanks for watching!

@benifin -- I know. But I've only got the Helix, so I've gotta "slum it". But seriously, if I could justify having an Axe-FX and a Kempler too, I'd get them. The form factor of Helix is what pushed me over the edge. All of these units sound great, and I think as long as one is willing to sit there and figure out how to use them -- they will be happy. But it takes a certain "type" of person to do that.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom