Nut Issue on my new EJ Strat

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member
I just got my EJ strat last week, and it is an amazing guitar, but I have recently discovered one small issue with it. If I bend the high E string at the 5th fret or lower, the string comes out of the nut and slides into the B string slot. Is there any simple way to fix this (cut the slot a bit deeper maybe?), or would it require a new nut?

BluePowder

Same thing happened to me when I first got mine, a two toned sunburst EJ.

I'm not sure what the specific cause of the problem was but upon applying some lubrication to the nut, in the form of a 2B pencil lead; the problem ceased. Doesn't bother me anymore, you might want to try it as well.

I initially wanted to file down the nut slot, but it was quite low already.

Shugaboy

Used to happen on mine as well. I believe I adjusted the bridge saddle some and this helped

buddastrat

Those guitars always need a string tree. Lots of people put them on. Some of them buzz like a sitar open and some pop out easily. I can't believe Fender still hasn't remedied that.

KeithC

Silver Supporting Member
I ended up having to put a tree on mine.
The only other thing is make sure you get the string wound down low on the tuner to maybe get a little more down pressure. Or cut the nut a little deeper.

I also have an EJ Strat although I haven't had any problems on mine. My comment is more on the string tree. On my previous strat I didn't use the string tree as well. The was because my tech recommend I try it so that the guitar would stay in tune better on bends and when using the whammy. Really the same reason why there are none on the EJ. So I know it's possible to have a workable guitar without string trees. Maybe once it's setup properly, and the nut might have to be cut as well, you should have no problems. Also, I use 11's which may or may not make a difference. I could see someone using 9's having more difficulties.

matt5150

Either U Know Or U Don't
Silver Supporting Member
I simply wind the strings towards the bottom instead of the top of the tuner to decrease the angle at the nut.

Also, a little teflon lube helped and I didn't need a string tree.

Matt

Samba

I had similar issues (including the E&B strings rolling excessively in the nut when bending) so I decided to bite the bullet and have a tech install a tree. All issues are now history, and I can get on with enjoying that delightfully fat carve.
:dude

Trending Topics