Nut Material for Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by movingpictures, Feb 19, 2009.

1. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Im building a Tele and am close to finished. My last concern is the nut. Im not cutting it myself, but am looking for opinions on material. My repair guy(Koontz) suggested an Earvana nut. Anyone have experience with this? Im leaning towards bone. Thanks for any tips!

2. jaydawg76

jaydawg76 Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of bone but just as important, if not more, is the fit of the nut. A well cut and installed nut of most any material will sound good (when playing open strings).

3. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

could you give a bit of detail about bone nuts (pros/cons) im also looking for a replacement nut and hear good thinsg about bone and graphite

4. C.SCAN3

C.SCAN3 Member

5. dazco

dazco Member

Bone all the way. I can assure you it improves the resonance and dynamics considerably to a degree dependent upon what material it's replacing. But it does make a difference, sometimes a lot. And it affects the entire fretboard, not just open strings. The reason for varied opinions on that is because not everyone is as sensitive to it as some others. Some probably listen for tonal changes, but IMO it's really more of a feel/dynamics thing and the tonal difference is there but not as obvious. For me a bone nut is very important.

6. empty71

empty71 Member

I would definitely go with a well cut bone nut for any non-trem guitar :) On 2nd thoughts, I would recommend a bone nut for most guitars unless the player uses the trem extensively. In those instance, a Delrin or graphtech nut would be my choice.

7. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

ok, because i do use the whammy bar alot. thanks you guys, youve given me much to consider

8. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Thanks to all for the input. Looks like Bone is the winner.

9. dazco

dazco Member

By the way, someone here recommended me a lubricant for the nut called hob-E-lube which is a tube of powdered graphite. It worked great and is so slick it's amazing. Much better than pencil lead. In fact i put some on my finger tips and the board felt slicker than with finger ease, or at least AS slick. Put a drop of chap stick or Vaseline or such on a piece of paper and drop some hob-E-lube in it, mix it up, lube the bone nut slots and it will work as good as graphite. Put some under the trees too.

10. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Tusq is the best I have found for trem use, sounds just like bone (if you really can here the difference). It is harder than bone, is not tacky when filed like bone.