Nut Replacement question?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by war-knuckles, Feb 27, 2012.

1. war-knuckles

war-knuckles Supporting Member

potentially dumb question here... so i picked up an agile al-2000 off craigslist and im having a bit of a problem with open chords.. all the strings are in tune, and if i play any open chord it sounds off....

does that mean the nut isnt slotted deep enough? ive been hearing that the nuts on those guitars are garbage, so i plan on replacing it, im just not sure of the explanation.

has anyone changed the nut on these guitars? what kind of results did you have?

2. Wag

Wag Member

While the guitar would most likely benefit from a new nut, you might want to check the relief in the neck before you make any other changes. I recently had similar problems with a Gibson LP. I was convinced it was the nut causing the problems. However, I found that after I took most of the bow out of the neck and put some heavier strings on it my sour notes on the low frets went away.

3. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Have you set the string compensation/intonation yet at the bridge? Are the strings old?

4. fumbler

fumbler Member

That would affect chords being in tune up the neck but the OP specifically said "open chords." I'm ASSUMING he means cowboy chords on the first few frets so the nut is most likely the problem.

But, yeah, a complete basic set-up is probably in order: New Strings, Relief, Nut, Action, Intonation (in roughly that order).

5. war-knuckles

war-knuckles Supporting Member

strings are brand new, i adjusted the truss rod, and its intonated (well...as close as i can get it with this cheap bridge, ran out of play)

but the main problem is the open chords on the first three frets.

the strings are hybrid slinki... you think the top end is too light? its a 46-9 set... maybe i should try 11's?

im going to order a new nut and a gotoh bridge later on, but is there any thing i can do to somewhat tame this problem aside from that?

6. fumbler

fumbler Member

It's the nut.

Easy check: capo at the 1st fret. Tune it carefully. Is it easier to play and are 1st position chords more in tune now? Then the nut slots are definitely too high.

7. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Every Agile I have seen is extremely well made with good materials.
    Have you changed strings? A bad string can cause this.
    I have an AL3000 and the nut it came stock with is as good as they get.