Nut/saddles absorbing string vibration?

omfg51

For whatever reason, my high E and B strings just sound slightly muted and lower in volume than the other 4 strings.

I use to play this guitar without a string tree, and after adding that, it drastically improved/fixed the problem.

This guitar is a tele style build, ashtray bridge, 3 traditional barrel saddles, bone nut, and I just went back to 10s from 11s.

Any idea what causes this and how to fix it permanently?

omfg51

My tech friend recommended filing the backside of each nut slot with fine sandpaper.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I use to play this guitar without a string tree, and after adding that, it drastically improved/fixed the problem.
so it's fixed? what's the worry then?
My tech friend recommended filing the backside of each nut slot with fine sandpaper.
maybe not.

the slots are probably already too wide, causing the shallow-angled strings to bounce around in the slot, diffusing the string energy. sandpaper would just make that worse.

if anything they need to be barely touched with the precise-sized nut file for the string, so as to capture the string without actually pinching it.

ahhlou

I would think the increase in break angle (addition of string tree) allowed more energy to transfer through the nut as opposed to losing it through the string behind the nut. Thus, increasing perceived volume and sustain. But then again, I am not a physicist...

Trending Topics