Nut slot too deep

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 85db, Nov 22, 2008.

1. 85db

85db Member

Hi, I've got a nut with one slot cut too deep. I'd hate to replace otherwise good nut because of just one slot. The only solution I heard of is filling it with baking soda, applying superglue, and resloting. I'm pretty such layer will eventually wear out, plus I'm afraid it won't be slippery enough for the string to move back and forth the way it should. Any ideas?

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Sorry that is only a temporary fix, and you will have to lube it to stay in tune .Replace it!

3. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

Or file out that section of the nut and glue in a filler piece of scrap nut material. I've heard of guys filing out a big V groove, then gluing in a V shaped piece of scrap.
    Anyway, with the patch, the actual new slot would be regular nut material, at least.
    Or you can add a thin shim to the bottom of the nut, thick enough to at least make the lowest slot the right height, but then you now have 5 slots to lower.

If you do the patch, with the nut in place, just make sure you don't get super-glue running down the nut into the wood.

4. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Repaired nuts sound bad and look bad .Not worth the bother, just do a new one.

5. Martian

Martian Member

There's no point in trying to circumvent the inevitable. Replace the nut.

6. Bob V

Bob V Member

+1. It's not really an "otherwise good nut" if the slots aren't cut properly. Making a new one will take less time than listening to all of us.

7. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member Vendor

I haven't found an acceptable way to repair a slot that is cut too deep. I've always ended up replacing the nut after wasting a bunch of time trying to fix it. The previous poster is right, it takes less time to replace than to fart around with the old one. If there is a better way, I'd love to know it.

James