Nut too deep

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Miles, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Miles

Miles Member

My nut is cut too deep on my Buzz Feiten nut. What is the best approach to remedy it. FYI, it is cut too deep on the G-string slot.

Thanks.

2. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

You can pack bone dust in the slot then drip in some CA glue and re-file it after it cures. I was in a jam once and glued in a piece of guitar string to raise the string up - worked like a champ.

3. justonwo

justonwo Member

Backfill it with a glue/dust composite (band aid) or replace the nut (better). Getting a new nut is not that expensive and almost always my preference.

4. empty71

empty71 Member

Another option would be to remove the nut, add a piece of self adhesive label thingy under it and slightly deepen the slots for the rest of the strings except the G ;)

5. David Collins

David Collins Member

I feel shimming of the nut and recutting the slots is preferable to filling the slot. Filling will work, but in most materials it will end up softer and can react with strings, often turning green and becoming loose or fragile over time.

6. Scottone

Scottone Supporting Member

I had the nut shimmed on my Gibson Starburst and it worked out great (didn't cost too much either)

7. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

when I was a kid and didn't really know how to do even the basic of setups I had a similar kind of problem with my Peavy bass. I ended up putting a bit of cardboard under the string at the nut. I eventually learned to adjust the string height at the bridge. Live and learn.

Sometimes nuts can be cut too deep. Putting something under the nut might solve the problem, but if you're only having an issue with the G string and the rest of the strings are fine, then doing this isn't gonna solve anything.

I have tried filling the slot with super glue and then re-filing the slot to the correct height. This can be a problem though, because even dried glue can stick a little bit and not give smooth tuning, especially since this is the G string. Adding a little graphite powder to the nut might help with this though.

There's always the option of just replacing the nut all together.

Good luck.