Nut width help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Anthony Gring, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

Stupid question but, is a 1 11/16'' nut width closer to 1.650'' or 1.687'' ? I'm guessing the latter. What is it in decimal form? Sorry, Math not my subject obviously. Thanks!

2. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

11 divided by 16 = .6875.

1 11/16 = 1.6875

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Yeah, these terms are nominal, not precise.

A lot of times a "1 + 5/8ths" nut guitar is really 1.650 more or less.

Fender's nut specs are way way off, generally wider than stated, especially on those guitars claiming a narrow nut.

Warmoth's 1 + 5/8ths necks work out to 1.638, sometimes more, something like that and
    their 1 + 11/16ths necks tend to be 1.688 roughly. Sometimes 1.693 (nice!).

The only real major 1 + 5/8ths I can think of is USA G + L necks, 1.625.

What is more I can fit a precut "1 +11/16ths" precut tusq nut on a "1 + 5/8ths" neck and I find that 1 + 3/8ths string array delightful.

Go to USACG and they have almost any nut width in that range being made on regular basis, small and precise increments.

4. Anthony Gring

just got a real nice Suhr Classic from a fellow TGP'er w/ nut spec of 1.687'' and it feels as wide if not wider than my '05 R7 I just sold to ChazMania here at TGP. I believe the R7 nut spec is 1 11/16''. So it goes.

5. MartinC

MartinC Member

I tried both 1.650 and 1.687 Suhrs ... 1.687 feels great to me (I have that on a Classic too) ... though I have recently discovered that neck thickness has more impact on comfort than width (for me anyway)

Congrats.

6. John C

John C Supporting Member

Interesting point about the varying nut sizes; however, besides G&L there are a couple of other companies using the 1.625" nut width - Ernie Ball Music Man uses it on all of their models except the John Petrucci signature, plus Grosh and Melancon are still using 1.625" as their 1 5/8" width the last time I checked. Granted, the only Grosh I've owned was a 2002 model, and the only Melancon was a 2001 model so I don't know if they have joined the 1.650" bandwagon in recent years.

EDIT: Oops; forgot about Tyler; I believe their 1 5/8" nut is also 1.625".

7. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

The only way I can REALLY tell a nut width is if I'm trying to play a full A major 1st position chord. If it feels cramped, I know I'm playing on 1+5/8".

I usually HATE 1 and 5/8, but I've been rocking on my buddy's Washburn N4 the past couple days, and it's super comfortable... go figure.

8. Anthony Gring

I have a real nice Suhr Tele and a '92 SRV Strat- both with 1.650'' nut width. Tele neck is even C med. SRV is thicker, chunkier. I "fight" with the SRV a bit more, but in a good way. The 1.687'' on my new Suhr classic feels a bit wide for me at the moment but I'm hoping to get comfortable with it.

9. Bob V

Bob V Member

Don't forget the fretboard radius. Often a vintage repro neck with a 1-5/8" (narrow) nut will also have a 7-1/4" (tight) radius fretboard. Cramping the strings together is outweighed sometimes by the comfortable feeling for first position chords on a rounder fretboard.

By the way I thought the narrower nut would be more comfortable for my ten year- old daughter; turns out she's got Jimi fingers and it doesn't matter.

10. jay42

jay42 Member

Thickness/shape...I've never made friends with a '61 LPSG. I've played a couple originals and a few RI's. I don't like the feel right at the nut. A reverse Firebird is the same width, but the shape is fine by me. Both are 1 11/16". It has to be the shape...the thickness, how round the shoulders are, etc.

11. MartinC

MartinC Member

You could well be right ... my comments were based on the fact that a Suhr medium C neck with 1.6875 nut width feels good, and so does a PRS regular neck with 1.6563 nut width but same thickness at the nut. They may well have been similar carves.