'nuther fulltone TTE demo

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by jzucker, Sep 14, 2008.

1. spm

spm Member

Sounds great ... and playing is nice too!

2. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Amazing sounds Jack. I loved the last 1/4 of the demo when you upped the echo volume and played with the delays-great stuff.

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Have you gotten the erase head/bias oscillator issues worked out? I'm not hearing pre-recorded artifacts on this clip, although it's hard to hear the noise floor and low level artifacts with a backing track........

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Yes, after demagnetizing the heads and swapping cartridges it's working good now. I'll probably start another thread about this but do you load your own cartridges? I'm thinking about buying some tape and some splicing tools.

5. fullerplast

That's good news, glad it was something simple.

No, I don't load my own although the process should be fairly simple. At $18 for a third party reload, including tape, it hasn't reached my threshold of cost pain. I don't go through them that quickly at all to make it worthwhile to buy a reel of high quality mastering tape, splice kit, and take the time to load them.

6. jzucker

I'm a little paranoid about the continuing availability of tape. Also, when I went to order some replacement cartridges from fulltone, there was a mention on the site of him checking serial numbers against registrations and since I bought mine 2nd hand, I wasn't sure if I could order tape from him.

7. fullerplast

Yeah, I hear you on that.

I got my TTE second hand and had no trouble getting a couple of extra tapes from Mike. Not sure if he has tightened up things lately though.....

Might not be a bad idea to at least buy a spare reel of mastering tape. It's actually much cheaper than I thought it would be right now.

8. jzucker

I thought you weren't supposed to use mastering tape?

9. fullerplast

AFAIK both Fuller and Orbit use mastering tape. I don't think the originals did, but it's simply a cost/quality tradeoff. IIRC, Fuller suggests that the better tape both sounds better and lasts longer. Not sure if Orbit and Fuller use the same mastering tape though.....

10. jzucker

according to regiscoynes site, you shouldn't use mastering tape:

11. fullerplast

Interesting division of opinion there......somebody should tell those guys doing the reloads!:jo That was the first I'd heard about the abrasiveness of mastering tape.

Maybe there is a brand/type that is sonically master grade but less abrasive/lubricated......:confused:

12. jzucker

13. fullerplast

Now that's more in line pricewise with what I expected......$60. That other tape someone suggested at $6/reel seemed way low.

So add the cost of splicing equipment and tape and you are about $100. That makes your break-even point, just on materials, about 5 reloads. More, if you want to consider your time of course.

Here's another slightly cheaper solution, at $37.50 (albeit for only 10 reloads):

cart tape

....or any old broadcasting cart tape or even old 8 track tapes will work for the ultimate cheap solution.

But what you've uncovered here with this thread is that some of the reloaders may be using tape that is not the best choice for head longevity......and that's good to know!

14. jzucker

too bad joa doesn't carry the splicer blocks anymore...

15. charmboy

charmboy Member

Hey Jack,
    Just wanted to mention that I've got a second hand TTE and had no problem ordering tape carts from Fulltone. There's a textbox on the order page where you enter need to enter the serial # to get to the next step. I gotta tell ya man, I LOVE my TTE. Most inspiring piece of gear I've gotten in a long time.

Great clip by the way! Always dig your demo's.

Eric