• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

'Nuther Gretsch question: 6120 RHH vs 6118 LTV

gitarzilla

OK, I've got it bad for a Gretsch, and I've got it narrowed to either the 6120 Horton Heat or the 6118 LTV 125th Anniversary.

Besides the obvious cosmetic appointment differences, are there any other structural or compositional differences between the 2?

The RHH gets a lot of good press around here and elsewhere, and the Annies get some raves too. Anyone played both and care to compare.

Thanks.

Drew816

Silver Supporting Member
There are variations on the 6118-LTV year to year so the first thing to nail down is which one you're referring too. I think the newly released NAMM LTV comes with Powertron TV's which have a tone of growl and less twang but still very good pickups. This one below perhaps?

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6118T-LTV&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

So besides the cosmetic differences there's the internal build, the RHH has Sound Posts and this LTV has the '59 Trestle Bracing. Head on over to the Gretsch Discussion Pages if you REALLY want to get into that debate but think of Sound Posts as being more acoustic and open and Trestle as being more well, braced. So less feedback prone, a little less open a sound, etc.

So if you're playing Hard or Punk rock and really into GAIN then a Trestle Gretsch will probably fit you better. Then again, have you heard Jim Heath play, the Reverend really gets it going on his RHH and he doesn't seem to have any problems... And so the debate continues. :crazy

I have an RHH and wind it up to so pretty high volume and gain levels and as long as you play by the rules of feedback control you'll likely be ok. If not there are none ways to deal with this (stuff the body with foam, add other sound posts in strategic locations, etc). I'm not playing out, just goofing off; wish I had the time to get back out there but...

I don't 'mind' Trestle Braced guitars but they're just not quite as open and twangy sounding to me, less like a Gretsch and more like a semi-acoustic 335 type of tone. And now that I've said that you should know that the '59 Trestle Bracing was both Brain Setzer and Chet Atkins favorite setup and Setzer's main axe and all his signature line have this in the guitars so what the heck do I know?!?! :rolleyes: :)

I'd go for what appeals to you more and not get hung up on the Sound Post versus TB debate BUT if you've got access to a few Gretsch to play go wind them up, a Setzer versus a normal 6120 and you'll know a lot more then. Both great guitars, I'd play either one, but I have an RHH in my stable so you know what decision I made.

Another good choice to look at is the 6116PTV or Power Tenny, Trestle Braced and ready to rock and usually a bit cheaper in the used market. Nice axes, if I didn't already have a PowerTenny in my ES-335 I'd buy one.

Good luck!

distorted noise

Silver Supporting Member
There are variations on the 6118-LTV year to year so the first thing to nail down is which one you're referring too. I think the newly released NAMM LTV comes with Powertron TV's which have a tone of growl and less twang but still very good pickups. This one below perhaps?

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6118T-LTV&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

So besides the cosmetic differences there's the internal build, the RHH has Sound Posts and this LTV has the '59 Trestle Bracing. Head on over to the Gretsch Discussion Pages if you REALLY want to get into that debate but think of Sound Posts as being more acoustic and open and Trestle as being more well, braced. So less feedback prone, a little less open a sound, etc.

So if you're playing Hard or Punk rock and really into GAIN then a Trestle Gretsch will probably fit you better. Then again, have you heard Jim Heath play, the Reverend really gets it going on his RHH and he doesn't seem to have any problems... And so the debate continues. :crazy

I have an RHH and wind it up to so pretty high volume and gain levels and as long as you play by the rules of feedback control you'll likely be ok. If not there are none ways to deal with this (stuff the body with foam, add other sound posts in strategic locations, etc). I'm not playing out, just goofing off; wish I had the time to get back out there but...

I don't 'mind' Trestle Braced guitars but they're just not quite as open and twangy sounding to me, less like a Gretsch and more like a semi-acoustic 335 type of tone. And now that I've said that you should know that the '59 Trestle Bracing was both Brain Setzer and Chet Atkins favorite setup and Setzer's main axe and all his signature line have this in the guitars so what the heck do I know?!?! :rolleyes: :)

I'd go for what appeals to you more and not get hung up on the Sound Post versus TB debate BUT if you've got access to a few Gretsch to play go wind them up, a Setzer versus a normal 6120 and you'll know a lot more then. Both great guitars, I'd play either one, but I have an RHH in my stable so you know what decision I made.

Another good choice to look at is the 6116PTV or Power Tenny, Trestle Braced and ready to rock and usually a bit cheaper in the used market. Nice axes, if I didn't already have a PowerTenny in my ES-335 I'd buy one.

Good luck!

the jubilee looks great. i really want one of those to go with my setzer 6120.

fieldhdj

OK, I've got it bad for a Gretsch, and I've got it narrowed to either the 6120 Horton Heat or the 6118 LTV 125th Anniversary.

Besides the obvious cosmetic appointment differences, are there any other structural or compositional differences between the 2?

The RHH gets a lot of good press around here and elsewhere, and the Annies get some raves too. Anyone played both and care to compare.

Thanks.
Yep. First, the Rev's got TV Classic pickups vs. the Power'trons in the 125th Annie. The Classics are like the classic Filter'trons and can also be found on many of the Setzer models. The Power'trons give you a bit more of a mid-range hump. They still have the sparkle and twang of the Classics, and to my ears are a superb rock pickup.

Next, the Rev's 6120 has a traditional sound post. It has a unique resonant quality and is definitely different from the trestle bracing that you find on most of the other 6120s. The 125th Annie has the new ML bracing that seems to be more resistant to feedback, at least in the limited time I had with it. You see the new ML bracing on more models in the future.

Both great guitars. The Rev is already a modern Gretsch classic and I thing the new Annie will too.

Last edited:

Drew816

Silver Supporting Member
Did you check out the link I posted, the 6118-LTV there stated it has TV Classics and not Powertrons. So there's some variation year to year, just be aware of that.

Most 6120's have Sound Posts and not Trestle Bracing, the 'classic 6120s' do anyway; these modern Hot Rod Setzers and now more of the Gretsch line-up are being taken over by Trestle Braced guitars as Gretsch I think is trying to position themselves as more mainstream, the guitars more usable across the spectrum, etc. If you're looking NEW you're in luck as you can just look at the website and see what's up, but if you find a used one in a shop now you've got to do some research to figure out what's what. Take a dental mirror with you IF you really care, once you've messed with them a bit you'll be able to hear the difference and heck you'll likely not CARE one way or the other but something to be aware of...

If you want the classic sound and open twang, go Sound Post; if you don't really care and just want to rock with less possible hassles then you're in luck as the line-up is FILLED with Trestle Braced axes now to include some of the classic Chet models too.

Like I said, the DEBATE goes on. :BEER :) :dude Not disagreeing with Fieldhdj up above just filling in some additional info...

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/

fieldhdj

Agreed Drew, I was only speaking to the new 125th Anniversary model. The older Annies are a hodgepodge features, depending on year, but in a good way. And a terrific bargain, compared to the 6120s.

Drew816

Silver Supporting Member
Agreed, the Anni's are really the guitar to be able to grab a deal on; vintage and new. I dig the new Tan and Copper 6118-LTV, bad a$$ looking for sure! The Anniversary's have less binding bling, the F-Holes and the neck so the were more of a budget Gretsch but the construction is the same so they just just like a 6120, just less flashy.

I've almost pulled the trigger on one of these several times but...

gitarzilla

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. I'm dithering between this used 2008 6118LTV in that tan/gold finish and a used RHH. I most likely will be playing these with a pretty clean sound doing alt and trad country-ish stuff. I'm all about the twang.

So it sounds like the sound post bracing in the RHH gets the twang on over the 6118(?)

Trending Topics