NUX MG-30 "Versatile Modeler"

EasTXan

Hi all, just got my MG30 a few days ago, coming from a Zoom G3X ! Loving it so far.

I was surprised that Quicktone actually worked under Wine on Linux. Couldn't load external IRs though... It gives the "must be 48khz" error...even though they are... tried shortening the file path as well but to no avail... yet...

Also I wish every amp had its own stock IR.
Is there a wishlist for software upgrades somewhere? Boss Metal Zone and OD on the horizon, maybe ?

Cheers,
Agreed, amps like the VH4, Dual Rec and Dr. Z would really benefit from IRs based upon the cabs they are usually associated with.

Sonisan

To follow up on one of my questions before, I am using the MG30 as an interface for other plug-ins such as Amplitube. When using the WET mode, the output level from the MG30 is very low and some modelled amps (Orange, ...) stay clean instead of being overdrive or higher gain. Have you noticed something similar?

GearDolt

Been researching budget modelers for the last couple weeks. Looking at the Valeton GP-200, Headrush MX5, and used POD GO or HX Stomp. Long story short after a lot of analysis and A/B videos, I'm highly considering about to pull the trigger on a NUX MG-30.

Has anyone tried recording the MG-30 directly into a Tascam style 8-track unit or similar? I have a Tascam DP-008EX and would like to plug this directly in for quietly recording (will monitor using headphones). Even if you haven't, in your opinion will it sound better than using the REC OUT line of my Katana 50 MK2? This gives a muffled, dark and tinny sound and isn't the best (not the worst I've heard either, but definitely subpar).

I'm basically wondering if the limiting factor is my Tascam itself, or what I'm plugging into it. When I use my POD HD500x into it there is a lot more clarity, but I dread programming and using that damn thing (keep waffling on whether to sell or not) and let's be honest it doesn't on any level sound better than the MG-30 based on the demos I've heard.

Meesha

Been researching budget modelers for the last couple weeks. Looking at the Valeton GP-200, Headrush MX5, and used POD GO or HX Stomp. Long story short after a lot of analysis and A/B videos, I'm highly considering about to pull the trigger on a NUX MG-30.

Has anyone tried recording the MG-30 directly into a Tascam style 8-track unit or similar? I have a Tascam DP-008EX and would like to plug this directly in for quietly recording (will monitor using headphones). Even if you haven't, in your opinion will it sound better than using the REC OUT line of my Katana 50 MK2? This gives a muffled, dark and tinny sound and isn't the best (not the worst I've heard either, but definitely subpar).

I'm basically wondering if the limiting factor is my Tascam itself, or what I'm plugging into it. When I use my POD HD500x into it there is a lot more clarity, but I dread programming and using that damn thing (keep waffling on whether to sell or not) and let's be honest it doesn't on any level sound better than the MG-30 based on the demos I've heard.
It's been answered to you already I believe.
in compare to Katana rec out it's way better starting from "always on" poor katana "cabsim"... MG 30 is technically better at most areas (amp modelling, ir, ad-da conversions etc.)

That's pretty questionable why to not record via usb direct to DAW from MG-30, but even line out analogue rec will put Katana in shame easily

dzem

@aptfx 1 question regarding live use of MG30 (if you have tried playing it live) any issues with ground hum/noise?
I ordered the NuX MG30 from Thomann but it went out of stock and they said they dont know when it will be in stock (some stock keeping issue on their website probably) and they said either I can wait for inconclusive amount of time or I get the refund. So I opted for the latter and now today I see it is back in stock. I was almost about to jump over to ordering a Boss GX-100 and then I started reading comments where people complained about the GX-100 having a high noise floor.

Basically I am back to square one lol. Thinking I should place the order for MG30 again, but maybe you (or anyone else) has noticed any noise related issues with the unit?

blackmonday

Silver Supporting Member
@aptfx 1 question regarding live use of MG30 (if you have tried playing it live) any issues with ground hum/noise?
I ordered the NuX MG30 from Thomann but it went out of stock and they said they dont know when it will be in stock (some stock keeping issue on their website probably) and they said either I can wait for inconclusive amount of time or I get the refund. So I opted for the latter and now today I see it is back in stock. I was almost about to jump over to ordering a Boss GX-100 and then I started reading comments where people complained about the GX-100 having a high noise floor.

Basically I am back to square one lol. Thinking I should place the order for MG30 again, but maybe you (or anyone else) has noticed any noise related issues with the unit?
I find it noisy. I was wondering if i had a lemon. My other units like hx stomp or fm3 didnt have this issue.

GearDolt

It's been answered to you already I believe.
in compare to Katana rec out it's way better starting from "always on" poor katana "cabsim"... MG 30 is technically better at most areas (amp modelling, ir, ad-da conversions etc.)

That's pretty questionable why to not record via usb direct to DAW from MG-30, but even line out analogue rec will put Katana in shame easily
Thank you this has made it much more clear. I guess I will go ahead and get one! I will report back with a video of how it sounds, and perhaps even compare to the HD500x and Katana.

Meesha

Thank you this has made it much more clear. I guess I will go ahead and get one! I will report back with a video of how it sounds, and perhaps even compare to the HD500x and Katana.
You're welcome. I use Katana 50 mkI clean chanel sometimes as sort of PA for Nux, it's no use for other Katana stuff after Nux purchase, only to get loud if i need to... Tbh before nux i was using mxr 5150 overdrive to katana's clean mostly, instead of katana's drives

aptfx

I find it noisy. I was wondering if i had a lemon. My other units like hx stomp or fm3 didnt have this issue.
In what regard noisy? There are several reports I've read from other people - most of the time the issues are from bad USB ports or bad power networks. I've also tried HX stomp and don't think my MG-30 is particular noisy in comparison. My single coil guitars are noisier compared to the humbuckers... as expected. I have a quite well done power network at home and my Mac has no noisy USB ports... maybe that's what makes a difference.

If I use an amp with a more gainy channel or if I raise the gain on the amp... the noise raises... as expected. I know that some devices and some software have global noise gates - the MG-30 doesn't have a global noise gate.

EasTXan

In what regard noisy? There are several reports I've read from other people - most of the time the issues are from bad USB ports or bad power networks. I've also tried HX stomp and don't think my MG-30 is particular noisy in comparison. My single coil guitars are noisier compared to the humbuckers... as expected. I have a quite well done power network at home and my Mac has no noisy USB ports... maybe that's what makes a difference.

If I use an amp with a more gainy channel or if I raise the gain on the amp... the noise raises... as expected. I know that some devices and some software have global noise gates - the MG-30 doesn't have a global noise gate.
*I have not giggled with mine but since almost every amp in the MG-30 seems gain-y to me, rolling back the amp gain AND Comp gain seems to help. The 5150 and SLO are out of this world gain-y but are still good rolled back. I noticed him with the volume pedal at zero when using the SLO there was still hum but that was the only amp that did that. I use mine thru powered PA speaker and sometimes thru studio monitors.

alexandergj

Can't believe there's an mg30 on eBay under the name of Johncordy for twenty quid less than I've just paid for one! Guessing the presets on it would be quite good too.

aptfx

*I have not giggled with mine but since almost every amp in the MG-30 seems gain-y to me, rolling back the amp gain AND Comp gain seems to help. The 5150 and SLO are out of this world gain-y but are still good rolled back. I noticed him with the volume pedal at zero when using the SLO there was still hum but that was the only amp that did that. I use mine thru powered PA speaker and sometimes thru studio monitors.
The VIVO seems to be just the Peavey 5150 "Lead" Channel. Similar for the SLO, UBER, Recto and so on... the idea seems to be, that very few people would use these beasts for clean stuff ;)

If you try the Deluxe Reverb for example - that's very clean and not gainy in any sensible way. Other clean amps: Jazz Clean, Twin Reverb

Some amps are more in between... for more crunchy sounds, Bassman, Plexi, Matchless... - you can get them quite clean or some nice overdrive. You might hear a quiet idle "hum" with them if you play at >80dB... honestly... the tube amps I use also have a hum on such settings.

And then there are beasts like VIVO, SLO, Recto, UBER... - they easily have a prominent idle noise level, but also are plenty loud and distorted when played... if someone thinks this should be _quiet_ in idle mode... without a noise gate... well... then maybe the MG-30 (or many other modellers, amp sims or real tube amps) is not the right tool.

EasTXan

Can't believe there's an mg30 on eBay under the name of Johncordy for twenty quid less than I've just paid for one! Guessing the presets on it would be quite good too.
I wasn't too impressed haven't really found a use for with those OEM presets he contributed for the MG-30. I realize that's 100% subjective.

Meesha

I wasn't too impressed haven't really found a use for with those OEM presets he contributed for the MG-30. I realize that's 100% subjective.
I never get into mg30 stock presets either... The only choptones very first recto one, but even here it can be improved easily with better ir and some tweaking... It's so easy to do much better from scratch with more meat than those made by nux artists

andre.abu

I never get into mg30 stock presets either... The only choptones very first recto one, but even here it can be improved easily with better ir and some tweaking... It's so easy to do much better from scratch with more meat than those made by nux artists
I noticed those groups of presets have different volume/gains, some way louder than others. Nux just lacked some curation to match all of them... Probably has to do with all the different gear and specific guitar and setup each artist was using. That would be a nice information to have on the Nux website by the way.

dzem

Why isn’t there an excel sheet/pdf/google doc of complete list of amps and fx with parameters in the nux mg30 which is updated for the latest firmware each time? I know there’s a firmware v1 list on the nux mg30 Facebook group but that’s not being updated since almost 1 1/2 years.

andre.abu

This italian dude posted a nice pdf list of amps/fx on V3.2.3 on his website.

No parameters, but still a good summary...
Why isn’t there an excel sheet/pdf/google doc of complete list of amps and fx with parameters in the nux mg30 which is updated for the latest firmware each time? I know there’s a firmware v1 list on the nux mg30 Facebook group but that’s not being updated since almost 1 1/2 years

Trending Topics

Top Bottom