NUX Mighty Plug (Headphone + Interface)

It's one of those psychological effects, where you overpay for something that disappoints. The WAZAs could have been great, but seem put out into the world unfinished. The NUX is a much less sophisticated device that sonically is as much dependent on what headphones you choose to listen through. $400 vs $69 makes me more easily satisfied.
Now add importing user IRs and this thing goes to the next level.
I hear that. I definitely don't want to buy before all the bugs are wrinkled out. Is the gyro essential? No, but it was part of it's selling features and premium items should work out of the box. Also as an Android user, Boss's Android support from my experience is underwhelming and I understand that was the case here.

If there were a few other features I'd like to see besides IRs and more preset options, it might be spotify integration and better mixing between the music/guitar blend in app so I am not switching apps. I was able to have an enjoyable session where I connected my laptop for the mix audio and controlled the amp features on my phone, although it felt like I had to jump hoops to get there.

vtgearhead

Silver Supporting Member
Can anyone suggest a lightweight pair of non-isolating headphones that the MP can drive to a decent level? The only pair I have that can produce minimally acceptable volume are the OEM headphones for my Scholtz Rockman (circa-1985) and they don't sound all that great. It clearly wants sensitive Hi-Z phones, but I don't want to spend a mint.

New Mighty Plug owner here. I'm really delighted with this gadget so far. No, it doesn't sound as good as my Helix or Kemper, but for what I need it for (walking around the house untethered whilst plinking) it's great.
There's no reason for me to ever own a wireless system so I had quite a "this is awesome" moment the first time I stood up and moved around without being tethered to a long cable. It felt like I was running around like Iron Maiden and yet I was just in my little 15x12 home theater/music room space in the basement.

Big bonus that the lady of the house did not yell at me.

dhdfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry if this has been covered, but can you use your own IRs? I did a search through the thread for "IR", but didn't see an answer.

I actually don't own any IRs, except what is in my Iridium, but I have noticed that they can make a huge difference in how a model sounds. Yes, I know I'm being Captain Obvious here, but this stuff is new to me.

vtgearhead

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry if this has been covered, but can you use your own IRs? I did a search through the thread for "IR", but didn't see an answer.

I actually don't own any IRs, except what is in my Iridium, but I have noticed that they can make a huge difference in how a model sounds. Yes, I know I'm being Captain Obvious here, but this stuff is new to me.
Unfortunately, no. The IRs are all baked into the firmware.

Elantric

Silver Supporting Member
Can anyone suggest a lightweight pair of non-isolating headphones that the MP can drive to a decent level? The only pair I have that can produce minimally acceptable volume are the OEM headphones for my Scholtz Rockman (circa-1985) and they don't sound all that great.

You WILL have problems ( very low volume) if you use 250 ohm or higher headphones
i use ATH-M40, ATH-M50X - 38 ohm headphones work very well - but both are closed back

It clearly wants sensitive Hi-Z phones,
Disagree - the NUX Mighty Plug sounds like crap with my DT-770 (250ohms)

Last edited:

madmarcus1960

Can't load IRs. vtgearhead, I use a pair of "thinksound" inner ears. (small company out of NH, that unfortunately went out of business in 12/2019. Their designers came from AKG, AT, etc.)
Any good quality inner ear that can be driven by a cell phone should work.
As far as over the ear non isolating on the cheap, you cannot do much better than Koss PortaPro's ,check out the reviews, they're well respected in the <$50 range.

vtgearhead

Silver Supporting Member
You WILL have problems ( very low volume) if you use 250 ohm or higher headphones
i use ATH-M40, ATH-M50X - 38 ohm headphones work very well - but both are closed back
Most of the phones I tried were low-impedance and seem to load down the headphone amp. But, you're right that limited voltage swing makes the problem almost as bad on the Hi-Z end (600 ohm Sennheisers). 30-50 ohm is probably the sweet spot.

vtgearhead

Silver Supporting Member
Can't load IRs. vtgearhead, I use a pair of "thinksound" inner ears. (small company out of NH, that unfortunately went out of business in 12/2019. Their designers came from AKG, AT, etc.)
Any good quality inner ear that can be driven by a cell phone should work.
As far as over the ear non isolating on the cheap, you cannot do much better than Koss PortaPro's ,check out the reviews, they're well respected in the <$50 range.
Thanks for the suggestion! I just ordered a pair of PortaPro phones on Amazon for $29.95. They're 50 ohm nominal impedance and on the higher end in terms of sensitivity.

madmarcus1960

There are hacks online to make them sound better, believe it or not. I did it to a pair. I does involve taking them apart and drilling a series of holes in the plastic diffuser plate. It helps the high end. Geeks unite :eek:.
I won't even start on things I've done to nice guitars.:facepalm

Iloveparis

I’ve have the mighty plug for a few months now and wanted to share some impressions.

My existing gear: 2016 Fender Mustang with single coils; 2020 Epiphone SG special with P90s; Blackstar ID Core 10 as a practice amp.

Overall
I love the Mighty Plug and use it daily for practice. The bluetooth passthrough audio make it really flexible for playing along to anything, and some (not all) of the models sound just killer on my guitars.

Unbelievable value and usefulness for the price

Audio routing
One of the best features. I often play along to backing tracks or lessons from Guitartricks.com, and the ability to route Bluetooth audio into the Might Plug is just a killer feature. Whether I want to play along with backing tracks from the Pro Band app on my iPhone, or Apple Music / Spotify, or youtube / guitarttricks.com videos - I just connect the phone or laptop to the Might Plug bluetooth input, and the sound comes in perfectly.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before: the Might Plug presents as 2 different Bluetooth devices - one for the app to control the unit, and one for external audio. So it's possible to connect from your phone to control it with the Mighty Amp app, while simultaneously passing through audio from another source (e.g. laptop or iPad). I use this all the time and the flexibility is great. Especially for instructional videos, I want to use a larger screen than my phone's to see what the teacher is playing.

Headphones and volume
I use Sennheiser HD 518 exclusively and they sound awesome. This is a 50 Ohm open-backed headphone. (I got it on sale a few years back for like $60 - no regrets). There's no problem at all with volume and the sound is detailed and seems natural. I think I tried stock iPhone earbuds once or twice and they sounded okay.

One feature I'd love but is missing is ability to connect to wireless headphones. I use Airpods Pro all day long for work, phone calls, and music, and would love if Mighty Plug could work with them.

Modes and models
I have more to explore here. I play almost exclusively on the Clean and OD settings.

On Clean I've gotten best results with the Twin Verb model - it has a good character and pretty responsive to guitar volume. You can go from clean to edge-of-grit easily.

On OD, even though I'm a big AC30 fan, I haven't gotten good results with the Top Boost 30 model - it sounds very fizzy and unnatural in the highs to my ears; that's a disappointment. And the Lead 100 sounds too dark (though I haven't messed too much). Would love any recommendations for how to improve this…

However, the Plexi - my god, the Plexi… This model itself is worth the cost of the whole unit!
I'm no expert on vintage amp tones (or other more expensive models) so I can't say how accurate it is. I can say it sounds glorious – rich, balanced, wonderful harmonics, and very dynamic. I can get settings that sound wonderful broken-up clean when guitar volume is on say 4, and pushes into sweet crunch and classic-rock heaven overdrive at 8-10. Sometimes I put the boost pedal in front, sometimes not. But gawd, this model just pushes me to play more and more.

The acoustic sim sounds really good to my ears, but I haven't used it much. Have not tried the Bass models.

Pickups
I've mostly been using my Epi SG with the P90s because it's my new baby. They seem much hotter than my Mustang's pickups, so a setting that's a pretty clean tone on the Stang will often be really gritty with the SG, unless I turn way down.

Here's where I echo others who ask for patch management - it would be so great to save a bank of settings for the Mustang and a separate bank for the SG. For multiple guitars with different pickups, just saving one setting per model is really limiting.

Controls
Some of the controls on the models and effects seem weird and not what I'm used to in other modeling software. For instance, I'm pretty sure the front panel of a real Plexi has more that Gain, Level, and Tone controls :) - but on the MP each amp just has those 3 controls. Likewise for the pedals - the Boost pedal just. has Gain and Level controls. Also in some cases sliders that you'd think would greatly affect the sound seems nearly ineffective. E.G. I think for the boost pedal messing with the Gain doesn't seem to do much. Not sure what the deal is here, but since I'm mostly able to find good sounds by feel I'm not too fussed about it.

Jam tracks and Drummer
These features have good potential but are too limited to be of much use right now. The jamtracks selection is super limited, and the backing tracks are kind of useless because many of them are less that 1m long, and they don't loop. You can set them to repeat, but the ends don't loop seamlessly back to the beginnings, so it kinda sucks. Some of the Artist Tracks are interesting and you may have fun with them. But the library is very limited and as far as I can see there's no way to load more in. You'll do way better with something like Pro Band or your backing track app of choice. Can't really speak to the Drummer as haven't used it.

Flaws and nitpicks
  • As has been repeated, ability to save multiple patches would be great.
  • IR loading - sure, but I don't know much about IRs so not a big deal for me
  • When I turn on the unit, if it was previously connected to my iPhone for audio, it automatically starts playing whatever audio is paused on the iPhone (like the Music app). Annoying.
  • Battery life could be longer, but hasn't really been a big issue
  • It could really use a master volume control, either in the app or a physical knob on the unit. As it is, you must adjust each amp setting's volume manually, and even there there's no master for each setting - you need to adjust the Amp or IR volume. Pass-through audio volume is solely adjusted at the source (e.g. iPad or Laptop volume). Add in the volume differences you'll get from different guitars, headphones, etc - they really need to add a master volume.
  • Why do I need a separate app on my laptop to update the firmware? Should be doable through the main app on my phone.
  • Would be nice to have a Mac/Windows app to control the settings & models.
Anyway I love it, best $70 I've spent on music gear, and it makes me play more and enjoy more - that's the bottom line and it delivers that in spades!

Guitar Rod

I’ve have the mighty plug for a few months now and wanted to share some impressions.

My existing gear: 2016 Fender Mustang with single coils; 2020 Epiphone SG special with P90s; Blackstar ID Core 10 as a practice amp.

Overall
I love the Mighty Plug and use it daily for practice. The bluetooth passthrough audio make it really flexible for playing along to anything, and some (not all) of the models sound just killer on my guitars.

Unbelievable value and usefulness for the price

Audio routing
One of the best features. I often play along to backing tracks or lessons from Guitartricks.com, and the ability to route Bluetooth audio into the Might Plug is just a killer feature. Whether I want to play along with backing tracks from the Pro Band app on my iPhone, or Apple Music / Spotify, or youtube / guitarttricks.com videos - I just connect the phone or laptop to the Might Plug bluetooth input, and the sound comes in perfectly.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before: the Might Plug presents as 2 different Bluetooth devices - one for the app to control the unit, and one for external audio. So it's possible to connect from your phone to control it with the Mighty Amp app, while simultaneously passing through audio from another source (e.g. laptop or iPad). I use this all the time and the flexibility is great. Especially for instructional videos, I want to use a larger screen than my phone's to see what the teacher is playing.

Headphones and volume
I use Sennheiser HD 518 exclusively and they sound awesome. This is a 50 Ohm open-backed headphone. (I got it on sale a few years back for like $60 - no regrets). There's no problem at all with volume and the sound is detailed and seems natural. I think I tried stock iPhone earbuds once or twice and they sounded okay.

One feature I'd love but is missing is ability to connect to wireless headphones. I use Airpods Pro all day long for work, phone calls, and music, and would love if Mighty Plug could work with them.

Modes and models
I have more to explore here. I play almost exclusively on the Clean and OD settings.

On Clean I've gotten best results with the Twin Verb model - it has a good character and pretty responsive to guitar volume. You can go from clean to edge-of-grit easily.

On OD, even though I'm a big AC30 fan, I haven't gotten good results with the Top Boost 30 model - it sounds very fizzy and unnatural in the highs to my ears; that's a disappointment. And the Lead 100 sounds too dark (though I haven't messed too much). Would love any recommendations for how to improve this…

However, the Plexi - my god, the Plexi… This model itself is worth the cost of the whole unit!
I'm no expert on vintage amp tones (or other more expensive models) so I can't say how accurate it is. I can say it sounds glorious – rich, balanced, wonderful harmonics, and very dynamic. I can get settings that sound wonderful broken-up clean when guitar volume is on say 4, and pushes into sweet crunch and classic-rock heaven overdrive at 8-10. Sometimes I put the boost pedal in front, sometimes not. But gawd, this model just pushes me to play more and more.

The acoustic sim sounds really good to my ears, but I haven't used it much. Have not tried the Bass models.

Pickups
I've mostly been using my Epi SG with the P90s because it's my new baby. They seem much hotter than my Mustang's pickups, so a setting that's a pretty clean tone on the Stang will often be really gritty with the SG, unless I turn way down.

Here's where I echo others who ask for patch management - it would be so great to save a bank of settings for the Mustang and a separate bank for the SG. For multiple guitars with different pickups, just saving one setting per model is really limiting.

Controls
Some of the controls on the models and effects seem weird and not what I'm used to in other modeling software. For instance, I'm pretty sure the front panel of a real Plexi has more that Gain, Level, and Tone controls :) - but on the MP each amp just has those 3 controls. Likewise for the pedals - the Boost pedal just. has Gain and Level controls. Also in some cases sliders that you'd think would greatly affect the sound seems nearly ineffective. E.G. I think for the boost pedal messing with the Gain doesn't seem to do much. Not sure what the deal is here, but since I'm mostly able to find good sounds by feel I'm not too fussed about it.

Jam tracks and Drummer
These features have good potential but are too limited to be of much use right now. The jamtracks selection is super limited, and the backing tracks are kind of useless because many of them are less that 1m long, and they don't loop. You can set them to repeat, but the ends don't loop seamlessly back to the beginnings, so it kinda sucks. Some of the Artist Tracks are interesting and you may have fun with them. But the library is very limited and as far as I can see there's no way to load more in. You'll do way better with something like Pro Band or your backing track app of choice. Can't really speak to the Drummer as haven't used it.

Flaws and nitpicks
  • As has been repeated, ability to save multiple patches would be great.
  • IR loading - sure, but I don't know much about IRs so not a big deal for me
  • When I turn on the unit, if it was previously connected to my iPhone for audio, it automatically starts playing whatever audio is paused on the iPhone (like the Music app). Annoying.
  • Battery life could be longer, but hasn't really been a big issue
  • It could really use a master volume control, either in the app or a physical knob on the unit. As it is, you must adjust each amp setting's volume manually, and even there there's no master for each setting - you need to adjust the Amp or IR volume. Pass-through audio volume is solely adjusted at the source (e.g. iPad or Laptop volume). Add in the volume differences you'll get from different guitars, headphones, etc - they really need to add a master volume.
  • Why do I need a separate app on my laptop to update the firmware? Should be doable through the main app on my phone.
  • Would be nice to have a Mac/Windows app to control the settings & models.
Anyway I love it, best $70 I've spent on music gear, and it makes me play more and enjoy more - that's the bottom line and it delivers that in spades!
Nice review. Makes me excited to get delivery of the Mighty Plug this week.

vtgearhead

Silver Supporting Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned before: the Might Plug presents as 2 different Bluetooth devices - one for the app to control the unit, and one for external audio. So it's possible to connect from your phone to control it with the Mighty Amp app, while simultaneously passing through audio from another source (e.g. laptop or iPad).
This feature has a gotcha: I can pair multiple devices with it, but the first device always has the audio connection. So, if I want to play music from my iPad and control the unit from my phone I have to ensure the phone is disconnected and attach the iPad first.