Nux Monterey Vibe

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
Ok, what's the catch?

The other Nux pedals seem priced somewhere down around $30.

This one sounds like it does a reasonably good generic vibe sound but I keep thinking that there must be a catch.

Is it ready to fall apart at first tromp or is is it rugged?

I tend to distrust low-priced pedals as I consider reliability to be a major consideration.

But, maybe I'm wrong...

-bEn r.

Last edited:

olgluefoot

I mean, it's made with cheap labor, surface mounted pcb, super generic looking and has little to no resale value. But if you dig the sound then dive in man. I have a Joyo US Dream that I love (I did have to rehouse the monster though)

That pedal does seem pretty feature packed with all of the modes and tap tempo though. Pretty cool.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I mean, it's made with cheap labor, surface mounted pcb, super generic looking and has little to no resale value. But if you dig the sound then dive in man. I have a Joyo US Dream that I love (I did have to rehouse the monster though)

That pedal does seem pretty feature packed with all of the modes and tap tempo though. Pretty cool.

Skeptical is my middle name.

Just trying to keep an open mind.

-bEn r.

CEFlint

So the one switch handles three functions? On/off, switching between rotary and vibrato, and tap tempo?

olgluefoot

Skeptical is my middle name.

Just trying to keep an open mind.

-bEn r.
No, I'm with you. You should be to some extent. There seem to be some extremes as far as expectations and considerations go with these Nux/donner/joyo/biyang/etc branded pedals. Some folks think these will fall apart in their hands like cracker crumbs because they are $35 bucks. Others won't give them the time of day because their $400 _____-in-a-box is advertised to hold some secret magic, wherein Bonamassa's heart was brewed a witches skull and injected into each capacitor... and then it sounds only marginally different than the $35 clone. (No harm meant guys, I'm just mad I don't have that kind of disposable income. :D )

I'm kind of in the middle. If it works it works, but man are they usually ugly. It doesn't help that each brand has different product lines using the most obscure enclosures. Why can't everyone stick to a hammond 1590b? I refinished my Ultimate Drive and US Dream. I say buy them from Amazon to give them a try. They have no hassle returns.

Mike R.

If they are that cheap and you are worried about longevity, buy two.

One is none, two is one after all.

doctorx

Is it good?

Yes, it is. To be clear, this is the KOKKO FUV2 Mini Pedal Vibe I posted about above.

It arrived about ten days later, and looks to be good quality construction, and, well, sounds like a univibe, a good one. Theres no chorus/vibrato switch, but I don't miss it. I get the Trower Bridge of Sighs tone I was looking for. Also it has an output volume control, something a lot of vibes don't have.

For $32, I'm happy.

Last edited:

InAbsentia

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn
Silver Supporting Member
I've been buying a lot of cheap Chinese pedals over the past year and the Kokko one, a compressor, was the only one where I thought the build quality wasn't good.

I'd probably go with the Behringer Vibrato if I was looking for an inexpensive vibrato pedal unless you really want the small size.

I've got the kokko ts clone and space reverb and they are pretty solid. I'd say on par with the joyos I have.

hiero

I have the NuX Amp Sim pedal and the Kokko (same make) OD and Booster Minis and they are very usable - the Booster is exceptional. You can pick these up for as little as £11.60 and the most I paid was £15 for the bigger Amp Sim.

ADVICE - many moan about dodgy jacks BUT they use a specific jack spec:

The last "tongue" of the Jack is smaller and it rests over the pit of the plug-tip, not over the top of the tip. The benefit of this is, that the plug sits very tight, but you can use only exact plugs.

You otherwise just need to partially pull the jack plug out a smidgen.

xbesxw.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom