NVAD Sears Silvertone 1484

eazywind

Silver Supporting Member
New Vintage Amp Day. Local Craigslist find. Looks to be all original. Haven't looked under the hood etc..... Works fine. Just tested it for a hour and don't want to do anymore until I get the cord changed to a 3 prong. Anyone know how to date these things? I love old stuff and this will complement my 1967 Yamaha SA 5 nicely.
View media item 22600View media item 22601View media item 22602View media item 22603View media item 22604View media item 22605View media item 22606View media item 22607View media item 22608View media item 22609View media item 22610View media item 22611View media item 22612

eazywind

Silver Supporting Member
Baffle board looks to have been replaced at some point.
Yup. The wood inserts and plastic tabs at the bottom rear corners that hold the amp in the enclosure are also missing. And the logo is missing from the grill.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
Speakers are the things that are most often changed (other than tubes) on old amps like this (though I have no reason to think they were on this amp), so to help solidify your date estimate. Dust off those transformers and look for EIA codes. If you don't know how to read 'em, it's simple: google is your friend. You may find similar codes on the pots or on the capacitor canister. Together these EIA codes will give you a very good feel for the dates, beyond what is on the speakers.

lpdeluxe

These are muy cool. Here's my '63 I picked up for $40 in 1974. One of the very cool things is that techs love 'em: simple circuits, point-to point wiring lotsa room. Mine still gets used.

rockometeramp

Yup. The wood inserts and plastic tabs at the bottom rear corners that hold the amp in the enclosure are also missing. And the logo is missing from the grill.
Yeah, when you remove the baffle, you probably have to remove the blocks that hold the front of the amp head in. I make repro cabinets for these, and I followed a friends original for measurements. The blocks were the last thing I trial fit, and since my baffles are 3/8" birch with a 1/4 inch ledger, the baffle would not be able to be removed without removing the blocks. So I had to unglue them and used screws instead, just in case someone ever needs to remove the baffle.

Cool amp score, see if it's been recapped, you really should replace all the electrolytics in there. I have a reverb mod that works nice if you're interested, pm anytime.

Trending Topics