NVGD 1947 Epiphone Triumph

zguitar71

Well, I’ve wanted a 17” archtop for a while. I had two to choose from, a ‘41 L7 and the one I went with, a ‘47 Triumph. I put some new strings on it and recorded this clip with my iPhone this morning at 6:30am before work. The audio obviously could be better but through headphones or good speakers it does give a decent feel for the tone of the guitar. I have been looking for a 30s-40s Archtop, it had to parallel braced and long scale and I couldn’t afford an L5,10, or 12 so that left me with the 7 and I might be able to find a Deluxe I could afford but I didn’t see any. My local shop just got in 7 killer arch tops and this Triumph was one and an L7. The Triumph was better sounding in a huge way and it was way less $ so now it’s mine.

Dave Richard

Very nice playing, and a great sounding, looking Triumph. What strings are you using?
I have several vintage Epis, including a '36 Triumph, and a yet to be resurrected '47 Broadway(I'm a full time luthier, & do the work myself). These 'golden age' Epis are marvelous instruments!

Sam Sherry

Gold Supporting Member
Nice playing and lovely guitar -- congrats! It has that 40s Epi "bark" even through the internet!

That is my alltime favorite neck inlay. It's blingy enough to honor the archtop deco tradition but not so sproing! that you feel bad bringing it out.

Put a floater on that and you have a beautiful and versatile musical machine!

zguitar71

Nice playing and lovely guitar -- congrats! It has that 40s Epi "bark" even through the internet!

That is my alltime favorite neck inlay. It's blingy enough to honor the archtop deco tradition but not so sproing! that you feel bad bringing it out.

Put a floater on that and you have a beautiful and versatile musical machine!
I have a “monkey on a stick” and a Rhythm Chief 1000 I’m going to put on very soon. I feel the same way about the bling aspect, just enough to not be pretentious.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Congratulations!

I went on a guitar safari to buy a nice old archtop a decade or so ago. Tried around a dozen in and around Seattle, including several Gibsons: an L7 in Emerald City was a definite standout, but the same store had a beat up Epiphone Blackstone with the top stripped, and it was just brilliant - tonally it fully held its own against the L7, and slayed a couple of different styles of L50 (I was desperate to love an early L00 sized round hole L50 but objectively it didn't sound very good). I ended up going home with the Blackstone.

The other standout was a Recording King branded Gibson cheapy with an insanely quilted back - I've never seen one before or since, but it was lovely.

zguitar71

Very nice playing, and a great sounding, looking Triumph. What strings are you using?
I have several vintage Epis, including a '36 Triumph, and a yet to be resurrected '47 Broadway(I'm a full time luthier, & do the work myself). These 'golden age' Epis are marvelous instruments!
I put on a set of 80/20 Bronze 12-53 strings. They were in the case when I got the guitar. New in the package but old, they have some tarnish on them but they are far better than the nickel steel strings that were on it and super old. I have a Kalamazoo KG31 that I run 13s on and wasn’t sure if I should go with 12 or 13s on this guitar. 12s on the KG are very week and thin but in the Epi they sound great. I’ll probably try 13s to see how they are but the playability of the 12s is quite nice and if they sound good I don’t t see a reason not to stay there.

Trending Topics