• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

NvKD:New (Vintage) Kit Day!

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
New baseball bat mufflers from Canopus installed on the toms! I'm impressed with their upgrade to such an old design, very well thought out and engineered. There are now several positions that it locks into for more shades of muffling instead of just off and on.

New Ambassadors all around on the toms too, the Emperors weren't fitting well with the kit.

Platypus

not in rivers, but in drops
Silver Supporting Member
looking forward to living somewhere one day that I can have a proper acoustic kit, these threads are good motivation

wye

New baseball bat mufflers from Canopus installed on the toms! I'm impressed with their upgrade to such an old design, very well thought out and engineered. There are now several positions that it locks into for more shades of muffling instead of just off and on.

New Ambassadors all around on the toms too, the Emperors weren't fitting well with the kit.
Oh cool, I will order of these Canopus mufflers, the Ludwig ones are horrible. I use Canopus snare wires, which are really cool, I have different versions for different snares.
Btw my old Ludwig from 67 with Pre serial Super COB snare and light weight Canopus stands.
Experimenting with hole in kick, mostly I Play closed bassdrums.

Since these old Ludwig (also legacy series) edges are quite round, I prefer Ambassador, Vintage A or Ambassador Controlled sound (on snare) with very light muffling, I tried 5 cotton balls which is very cool in the floor Tom.

Otherwise the sound is lacking treble and is way to congested. The round bearing edges are not cool in terms of highly different tuning options, but give a certain middy thud, which no other drum has.

The added Keplinger ching ring on the top hi-hat gives the 16 inch Paiste paper thin 602 crash the desired treble boost, louder foot chick, which all 16” hi-hat do not offer sufficently. It also adds a nice little china sound timbre. Formerly I tried to get result with very heavy bottom cymbals, but this ching ring has definitely more impact.

Last edited:

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
Oh cool, I will order of these Canopus mufflers, the Ludwig ones are horrible. I use Canopus snare wires, which are really cool, I have different versions for different snares.
Btw my old Ludwig from 67 with Pre serial Super COB snare and light weight Canopus stands.
Experimenting with hole in kick, mostly I Play closed bassdrums.

Since these old Ludwig (also legacy series) edges are quite round, I prefer Ambassador, Vintage A or Ambassador Controlled sound (on snare) with very light muffling, I tried 5 cotton balls which is very cool in the floor Tom.

Otherwise the sound is lacking treble and is way to congested. The round bearing edges are not cool in terms of highly different tuning options, but give a certain middy thud, which no other drum has.

The added Keplinger ching ring on the top hi-hat gives the 16 inch Paiste paper thin 602 crash the desired treble cut, foot chick which all 16” hi-hat do not offer. It also adds a nice little china sound timbre. Formerly I tried to get this with very heavy bottom cymbals, but this ching ring has definitely more impact.
That's a great looking WMP kit! Yeah, nothing else really sounds like an old Ludwig kit, my Gretsch kit has a much sharper sound all around.

I'm definitely going to have to try more Canopus stuff, I'm pretty impressed with the mufflers.

EricOsler

Brilliant score! I am a massive fan of vintage drums. My new drum set is from 1974 (blue Vistalite)...thats about as modern as it gets. My main gigging set was a 1957-59 Kent set, before that 1968 Ludwigs, and before that was some scripted Pearls from the mid 60's. Not such a great fan of new drums...