NVN Dino-Drive score

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bduguay, Jul 18, 2006.

1. bduguay

bduguay Member

I found one at my local Long & McQuade (Canada's 'Guitar Center') and bought it just 'because'. It looks as though it may have been modded. Does anybody else have one of these out there? Thoughts? Feelings?
    B.

2. dosmun

dosmun Member

I had one when he first offered them in the HC deal. It didn't really do anything for me and I traded it off a long time ago. I do know of someone looking for one if you decide to get rid of it.

3. bduguay

bduguay Member

I shall keep that in mind thanks!
    Like I said, it looks like it may have been modded so I'm going to go over it and return it to stock if need be and then re-audition. I'll keep you looped.
    B.

4. dosmun

dosmun Member

5. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

I am speaking from my direct experience with Joe Gagan....

Whatever you do, do not, I repeat, DO NOT send the unit back to Joe to be updated/modded/fixed etc.......

He solicited me on this site when I posted pics of my Dino-Fuzz that had a broken part on the circuit board. He told me that he knew that he had a bad rep on these various bulletin boards and he wanted to change that.

He offered to fix the unit for free if I would send him 5 bucks for return shipping. I did so. That was about 1 year ago, I have not heard back from him but for once, after I started calling his phone no. later at night when I had received no responses to my calls/emails after about the 4th month.

I have never heard from him again.

What a weasel.

I have done my public service for the day.....

M.E.

6. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

The evidence against Joe is pretty damning for sure. He got in over his head and pissed off a good number of people.

That said, Joe has created some very cool effects that he has shared freely with the DIY community. I've built a couple of his pedals and have plans on building a couple more (Skyripper, here I come!). I rely on my DIY Tone Dog (a simplified Brontoboost) a lot for my overdrive/fuzzy tones.

7. bduguay

bduguay Member

Wow Michael, that sucks out loud. If Joe was genuinely concerned about righting a bad reputation, he sure went about it the wrong way.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll be doing all the work, if any, that needs to be done. I hope there's still a chance you get your pedal back..... working.
    B.

8. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

I can try to take pics of the board in mine if it will help.

9. bduguay

bduguay Member

That would be awesome!
    Did I just say awesome?
    Thanks a bunch, that would help!
    B.

10. dosmun

dosmun Member

Why do you think it has been modded?

11. bduguay

bduguay Member

Well, I opened it up because that's what boys do with their new toys. I remember hearing someone say there's 3 things boys do with their toys.
    1. Take them apart
    2. Trade them
    3. Blow them up with fire crackers

Anyway, when I got it opened I noticed a trace on the PCB had been cut and there was a resistor soldered on the solder side of the board. I'm sure there were some other weird things going on too. Do you know if this is standard?
    I have the schematic and I plan to go over it and determine if it has been mucked with.
    B.

12. dosmun

dosmun Member

Joe did things like this on his peds. If he had changed the design a bit or added a feature this is the way it was done. It wouldn't surprise me at all of it was made like that from Joe.

13. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

No problem! I'll get you one tomorrow. I've got to find something small enough to safely loosen the nuts holding the board down.

14. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

Joe's had both of mine NVN pedals for at least 18 months. I'm sure I'll never see them again.

15. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

talk about scoring a NVN..
    [​IMG]
    it was made for me by Joe Gagan in 2002.

Story:
    i had tried a demo Dinosaur Fuzz out at my local dealer and found it to be killer. i promptly ordered one for myself and i asked if Joe could put my name on it. and he engraved it for me fo free. i paid US$200.

When i got it, it sounded totally different from the demo pedal. I was disappointed, and the dealer helped me out - he actually transferred the circuit board from the demo pedal into new pedal. the demo one just sounded so much better to me in ways i cannot describe.

i played the heck out of it and then i sold it to someone (stupidly and cheaply for US$90) 2 years ago when sold most of my analog pedals and i moved into my digital modelling phase (line 6).

2 years later, i am back into analog pedals and tube amps. 3 days ago i bought it off someone else on the local classified ads, for US$90. LOL! Who knows how many hands it's been through..

it still plays and sounds exactly like how i remembered it.. KILLER. boy have i missed this pedal! :D

this has got to be my most storied pedal.

16. bduguay

bduguay Member

Okay, I've got mine apart and I've been comparing it to the schematic I have and I'm fairly certain this one's been mucked with. If you can still shoot me a photo/photo's, that would be wicked cool.
    Brian

17. bduguay

bduguay Member

Thanks!
    It's confirmed, mine has been modded. Now, may I be a PITA and ask for a shot of the other side of the board please? That's where most of the changes are on mine.
    Thanks again.
    Brian

18. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

19. bduguay

bduguay Member

Thanks for the shot, it's exactly what I need.
    It looks like yours has a trace cut on the underside too.
    Hmmm.
    Well....back to work.
    B.