NWoBHM Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by the vox, Mar 24, 2015.

1. the vox

the vox Member

Afternoon, Wise Ones -

So I've joined a NWoBHM-esque band and I'm wondering if I need to invest in a new pedal for early metal glory. Not counting delays and verbs, I've been basically running an always on Timmy for a clean boost into a KTR/KoT stack. It's typically a low to mid-gain OD sound. I also have an Iron Bell for creamier leads.

Do you think this setup can be used for the beefier NWoBHM sound with some simple twekaing or is it easier to just throw on a dedicated pedal? I've got a RAT laying around somewhere if that might work. Or do you have some other suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

2. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Wasn't the Distortion+ the go to pedal for a lot of those guys as well as the Dimarzio Super Distortion pickup?

3. Cascadia_Cam

Cascadia_Cam Member

Are you running into a clean amp? If so, check out the Earthquaker White Light. It's billed as an overdrive but it goes to gain ranges very similar to a lot of NWOBHM bands and with your Timmy you'd be set for lead boosts!

4. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Pretty much any JCM 800 styled distortion pedal should get you close. Maybe a Bogner Ecstasy Red pedal if you want something fancy.

5. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

6. the vox

the vox Member

Some great suggestions here! Thanks!

7. hazmat33

hazmat33 Supporting Member

Try your Rat before making purchases.
    Killer early Maiden tones to be had.

8. woodie

woodie Member

I've tried just about everything at this point, and have basically just settled on a jmp 50 mv and I use an earthquaker talons in front of it to fuzz it up a little but even that isn't really working fantastically for me. A good marshall base tone is really the most important element. A lot of the more timmy-like od's tended to add a kind of top endy sheen to my pick attack that I wasn't really digging.

9. rocknrob

rocknrob Member

EHX metal muff , gets some pretty narly sounds !