NY and Boston stores advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gabrired, Aug 13, 2008.

1. gabrired

gabrired Member

Hallo,

I'm Gabriele fom Florence Italy. I read this forum everyday but usually I dont have something new to write. I spent lot of money in the last years in amps ( Bogner ecstacy 101B and Harry Joyce 50 the most desiderable and expensive... ) much more than in Italy is usual ... Now I cant spend money in amps as I'd like to do but luckily my trusty moddedd JCM800 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKibN1iiBNw ) is one of the best amp I heard so I can control my G.A.S. with my Marshall. Actually I'm trying saving money to buy a Wizard Modern Classic 50 but this is a different story..

As my honeymoon program say, I will visit Manhattan and Boston in the next two weeks, so I'd like to know what are the place an amp-head ( is "amp-head" a correct definition ? ) like me must visit in these days. Maybe http://www.ultrasoundrehearsal.com worth a visit? where I cand find some boutique amp to try ( I'm thinking about Komet, BadCat, Matchless, roccaforte, Divided by 13, Budda ... )?

Is a quick try of amps in guitar stores usually a problem if you dont buy?

Thanks in advance!
    Bye for now,
    Gabriele

2. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Try this place a few minutes out of Boston while in the Boston area :

http://www.bostonguitar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

They're in Brockton MA, a suburb of Boston...the have some boutique stuff....check the website

Hey, and anywhere you go tell them you are a serious buyer with cash in your pocket....try whatever you want.....your a potential customer.

It's non of their business if you dont actually buy that day....maybe they'll get the sale when your ready to buy if they treat you right now :)

Have a nice time while your in the USA !

3. hamer21

hamer21 Member

I agree with Andre357. Boston Guitar Works in Brockton has the best and most high-end gear in New England. I have bought a bunch of stuff from Heath (store owner) over the years. Alot of people will tell you to be careful when dealing with him but I personally have never had a problem. This place is definately worth the trip, you will not be sorry.

If nothing else, you get to try out alot of stuff that you would never be able to find in one place, and that includes places in NYC. I was there about 6 months ago and I still think Boston Guitar Works has the best inventory of high-end gear. I never had a problem with trying stuff out. As the man says, let him know you are a serious buyer.

4. creamedcorn

creamedcorn Member

Hi Andre357,

Guitar Center (Boston)
    Daddy's Junky Music (Boston)
    Bay State Vintage Guitars (Boston - Craig Jones)
    Mr. Music (Allston - good used stuff)
    Nitro Tone Music (Cambridge - Harvard Square)
    Cambridge Music (Porter Square Cambridge)
    The Music Emporium (Arlington - super high end acoustics)

Boston Guitar Works is great, but it's a long way from Boston.

5. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Good idea to schedule a time with Ultrasound in their demo room, try out all their offerings and it will be a magical hour or so! Rudy's has expanded on 48th Street and I haven't been into the new "Mesa" wing, but they also have 65 Amps, Two-Rock, Blockhead, etc. Although despite all my amps, I haven't bought one in the city and I'm there everyday!

6. gabrired

gabrired Member

thanks for your advice, I think best solution for me will be visit Ultrasound, I hope I will find the time to stop there, I'm writing an email to booking a visit...

Thanks again,
    bye for now,
    Gabriele

7. GDking

GDking Member

I am one

8. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I was thinking maybe he had a rental car or something ;)

Which of the stores you list above feature boutiqe amps ?? I might want to check out some myself. Any Dr Z's, Swarts or something at any of those in cambridge maybe ?? ( I know GC and daddys wont unless used ).

Thanks - Andy

9. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

A lot????............Understatement!

10. Andre357

Andre357 Member

why ?? ( I've never been there by the way, but may take the ride one of these days, I'm up in the merrimac valley of MA so it's sort of a hike )

11. Andre357

Andre357 Member

mmmm....why do you say that ?? What's the scoop ( I honestly have never been in the store - just found the webpage a while back and noticed they were the only place in N.E. from what I could tell that sold boutique amps and gear. )

What the deal ?? C'mom , gimme some juice :) :stir

:munch

12. GDking

GDking Member

You will see when you get there muhahahahaha

13. Big Boss Man

Big Boss Man Member

In the NYC area http://www.themusiczoo.com/ is a great store with prices which will probably be much more competitive than stores directly in NYC. They have a few /13 amps in stock there.

14. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

I don't think they allow this kind of talk on this forum.

Beware...................that's all I can say.

15. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I hear you, I understand the " deals gone bad " policy. Just for the record I wasn't the one that raised any issues regarding the place. I've never been there. Still hope to get there some day :)....Looks like they have nice stuff....I hope they treat everyone like a rockstar like any good business would........

Beware ??? What's somone gonna break my knuckles :p ?? If the mods want to close the thread thats fine with me....

But I feel no paranoia thus far.......

I was the one trying to send business their way from a visitor from Italy :cool: , again, having never walked into the establishment myself...

Do you work in the store, thus the warning ?? Just curious.