NYC guys. . .

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Nazgul666, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Nazgul666

Nazgul666 Member

Don't you feel the city turning again? More crime in the open, brazen robberies and muggings in midtown and the subways.

I don't know, I feel like things are turning in a bad direction.

Anyone have the same feeling?

2. Ab347

Ab347 Member

Without a doubt...

3. micycle

micycle Member

I haven't - but I obliviously walk around in my own little world (keeping an eye on those around me, of course). I live in Park Slope and work in Flatiron. Hardly ever take the train; I bike or walk to work. One thing I do realize is getting worse is people out for a cause with their clipboards bothering you on the sidewalk.

Are you watching the local news? If so I advise that you turn that garbage off. It's all doom and gloom. I have no need or want to hear about how News Team 4 was first on the scene of a deadly shooting.

4. Nazgul666

Nazgul666 Member

Yeah my son is headed to NYU next year. Seems pretty nice down there but I think they are buying up the entire neighborhood, lol.

5. Bruce Lychee

Bruce Lychee Member

I haven't lived there since 2000 but my recent visits made me feel like Manhattan has been turned into a theme park. It felt completely safe if not completely neutered. NYC will always be my home, but damn, where did all the NY'ers go? Brooklyn I guess.

6. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

So he's on ABC7, but damn I can't stand Jim Dolan. The guy literally thrives on misery and anguish.

North Carolina. :) I know because that's where I grew up and went to college. I used to work at the Cary Towne Center Mall, and when I walked in every day, about every fourth license plate was NY or NJ...and those were just the people who had moved there less than 90s prior! :D

7. MOJO

MOJO Member

Absolutely but I'm not going to get into my reasonings, seen my own neighborhood/block nose dive over the last 10 years or so

8. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

at least that random stop and search crap was ended

9. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

The Safe Streets Safe City and Stop and Frisk programs were responsible for a significant drop in crime. No surprise crime is going back up now.

Lespaulsignature 74 and zekmoe like this.
  10. skronker

I'm curious as to whether you live in NY and whether you were ever stopped and frisked?

11. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I live a state away. I used to work a bit in NYC in the early 90s, and I've been back to the city a few times over the years, that is all. I've also never have been frisked (not counting going to the airport...) I'm sure it's not pleasant. But if that's what it takes to bring down violent crime, so be it. I know opinions vary on this...just stating mine.

Lespaulsignature 74 likes this.
  12. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

And they've been playing it off like the uptick has nothing to do with it, though now looks like they may reinstate:
    http://pix11.com/2015/06/02/stop-and-frisk-being-reconsidered-about-latest-nyc-crime-spike/

The city has been astonishingly safe for a couple of decades for a place with this many moving parts and people.
    In traveling around the country lately, you're seeing more homeless everywhere, and they're not the usual profile... Many "first-timers" out there now.. young, broke, rudderless. It's rough.

Go Cat Go!! likes this.
  13. micycle

micycle Member

Oh yes, I know who you're talking about. I thought the news was bad with that kind of stuff when I lived in Minneapolis but here they take it to a whole new level. It floors me how when there's some sort of tragedy, any given station will brag about being "first on the scene". It's like the news equivalent of claiming to have the best pizza in NYC. Shut up with that already! MN is still the reigning champ with weather-related fear mongering and constantly interrupting prime time programming with severe weather updates though.

I digress. I've lived here for 6 years and have always felt pretty safe, save for a few shady areas I've gone to either by getting lost or for gigs outside of the more civilized (for lack of better word) parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn. Granted I live in Park Slope, which has its share of criminal shenanigans but is definitely one of the nicer areas. We (the wife and I) lucked out moving here in that regard, that's for sure.

14. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

speaking of NYC, for more NYC TGP'ers who stop into this thread, I was messaging with VicAjax & SaltyDogg a while back about organizing an NYC (gearless) meet up of sorts (= bar)
    At some point, maybe mid-July some night... East Village or something, have a few, trade usernames and gear tales. Maybe a separate thread on that soon.

saltydogg likes this.
  15. skronker

In that link it cites that a lot of those crimes are committed with guns.
    Same problem in Chicago. A lot of shootings.
    Baltimore has the same problem.A lot of shootings.

While I think there might be a better tactic to help stem some of this gun related violence, I guess some people would prefer to have the basic rights of citizens trampled on rather than effect real change.

I live in Honolulu and here is a crime map compiled by the HPD.

http://honolulupd.org/information/index.php?page=crimemapping

16. mdog114

mdog114 Member

And predictably, the crime rate goes up.

17. Sloop John B

Sloop John B Supporting Member

Not seeing anything out of the ordinary on my end. I work in Soho/Chinatown, I live in LIC/Astoria, and have been in NYC my whole life.