NYC Pedalboard users

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jbert58, Feb 28, 2006.

1. jbert58

jbert58 Silver Supporting Member

Hi folks. New to the forum, after lurking for quite some time.

I am looking into purchasing an NYC board, and would appreciate hearing from any long term owners to find out how durable they are over time.

Thanks for your help!

Jbert58

2. Plexihead

Plexihead Member

I've had the NYC "Big Shot" for a couple of years with no problems at all. I recently just picked up another NYC board, the "Pedalhead Classic" (I wanted a slightly smaller/lighter board w/a tolexed exterior) and it's also made very well.

I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with any board from NYC, Mike has a great product at an affordable price.

3. olectric

olectric Supporting Member

I had a PedalHead from NYC. I think that they are very well put together, but I really don't think that they protect the pedals very well. The board itself doubles as the bottom of the case. So, your pedals are effectively mounted to the lid of the case. There is no shock absorption in case of a fall or drop. You can put all the foam you want on top of the pedals, and it won't really make any difference in terms of absorbing the initial jolt of the case hitting the floor. I have a good $1700 worth of pedals on my board, and I would rather stick them on a dedicated board that goes inside of a case and doesn't double as part of the case. I have a PedalTrain that is completely suspended in foam inside a hard case for transport. It was more expensive than the NYC, but I think it's worth the extra dough to protect the gear. My .02.

4. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

I'm not a long term user yet, but I received the Gigman board with riser and wah platform about 2 months ago. As everyone's said, the build quality is very nice. It is clear that time was taken to put it together. There's nothing sloppy in its construction.

I gig about 2 nights a week and it's been a pleasure to use. The post above is valid, as there's no cushion under the pedal, but it has never been an issue for me. I have a PedalSnake coming from my board that, when I pack up, I just coil up and lay over the pedals. Between that and the generous amount of foam in the top, it's a nice snug, secure fit.

The velcro covering is nice and I've not had any pedals move after placement.

I've heard great stories about their service, but mine was just ok. I wouldn't rave about it, but I wouldn't complain. The guy answered the phone, took my order, then hung up. I called for a status and he gave it to me. It sounded like he was busy, so it's not a fault. Just not the raving support that many have reported. Case arrived intact and right on time.

I'd definitely recommend them.

Rick

5. reverber8

reverber8 Member

NYC Pedalhead owner here. I've had it for 5+ years and I'd guess it's been to maybe 200 gigs and countless rehearsals. Still looks new. I 'shaved' off some little fuzzy carpet balls that happen with use on carpeted equipment.

The only problem I ever had was the floor of the pedal board where the pedals attach to came detached. I've reconfigued it more times than I could possibly count. I contacted Mike @ NYC who offered to re-glue it for free (I pay ship to him, he pays return) but I followed his recommendation to just re-glue it myself. No more problems.

Good build quality and competitively priced. +1 here on NYC!

6. jbert58

jbert58 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply. My Big Shot is on order!

Cheers.

Jbert58

7. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've had a 6 shot for a couple of years now and the build quality is excellent, the only change I made with mine was I took off the material he uses for the velcro base and used Industrial Strength Velcro.

8. tjburton

tjburton Member

I've had my NYC board for about 6 years. I had to replace the carpet on the inside bottom board. It wasn't that the carpet wore out as much as that the glue gave way and the carpet was lifting off the board.

I had buddy that had the same thing happen and NYC fixed his up with new covering free of charge. I just didn't have the time to ship mine to NY (I'm in Ilinois) and wait for recovering.

As far as construction goes - I think the NYC boards are pretty solid. I've been very happy with the construction of the board (excluding the carpet). I have thought about adding foam in mine. As another poster stated there isn't any support in case of a fall. I think this would be the case for the tall boards. My pedals that are on the top shelf are supported well, the pedals on the bottom have come loose from transporting upside down (you can't alway watch how your gear goes in the truck :( .

I would buy another one from NYC. I remember him being a relly decent guy to work with. I ordered a custom size board with a shelf and the trasaction went smooth.

9. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

I recently grabbed a used Bigshot....it seems pretty damned solid, but like someone said above IT'S NOT BIG ENOUGH, as shocking as it seems.

I don't have a lot of pedals, but what I do have, they're all oversized & fitting them in is gonna be a chore.

AND it renders the 2nd tier useless.

I'm considerring selling it, so if anyone needs one, lemme know..........

10. don't_go_on_me

don't_go_on_me Member

pm sent:)

the NYC boards look great. I've been shopping around for a new board and they look like a great deal.

11. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Back at ya' :BEER

12. Frethog

Frethog Member

I’ve had a Pedal Head for a few months now and the only complaint I have is that I should have got the larger one. My volume pedal is already on the floor next to the board to make room for my new Klon.

I have the 15 inch riser and Mike originally makes these with the middle support post off-set instead of centered. This allows room for most of the brands of power sources. But only one.

I wanted to use TWO Voodoolab Pedal Power + 2’s under the riser. After a quick measurement, I decided I could fit them both.

I called Mike first and he didn’t think it was gonna work. I convinced him that it would be snug, but do-able. He gave me a couple options including sending the riser back to him for a professional adjustment.

Nah! I carefully pulled the support post off and nailed it back dead center. It’s perfect, and with a pedal there, you can’t see my alteration. I was right, you can fit two PP2’s under the 15 inch riser. I am powering 11 pedals, including two looopers. It would be 12 except I run a separate adaptor for the Klon and its funky, home soldered Switchcraft tip. I wanted to be able to use the Klon by itself at times so I didn’t solder the tip to a PP2 cable.