• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

NYC Pedalboards vs. Pedaltrain

M@tt C

Silver Supporting Member
I'm finally putting a "real" pedalboard together after outgrowing my little SKB board, and have it narrowed down to these two choices:

Pedaltrain PT-2 with gig bag
NYC Pedalboards Gigman

I'll putting these on the board:

Dunlop wah
TU2
DD20
Addrock fuzz
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
TR 2 trem
DOD EQ
Budda amp switch
PP2 power supply

Should I look at the next size up? Pros cons for one over the other?? Both seem highly regarded in these here parts.

I'm a weekend warrior guy- no flight cases needed, but I do want something that offers protection.

Thanks guys!

Wheels

Platinum Supporting Member
Been using an NYC 'board for the past 5 years and have no complaints at all!

+1. Love this pedalboard.

I was in the same situation..weekend warrior, SKB-15 wasn't cutting it anymore and wanted a hard top.

I have a Gigman with a second level and wah pedal platform. I've got a PedalPower II under the second level.

Fast and easy set-up. Take the top off and go.

Here's some pics of the old SKB, and the Gigman with way too many pedals.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
I love my NYC Pedalhead...I got the bigger board because a lot of my pedals are big ugly analog boxes but in recent years the pedals got smaller and somehow I still ended up using all the space!

I went with the NYC board becasue I don't like the anbgle thing the Pedaltrains do...they look ike nice boards but I just prefer style of the NYC and the quality is great. I give them 2 thumbs up for sure.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
You can't go wrong either way really. I've been using a Pedalhead for the past 3 years or so and I just switched to a smaller PT Jr. w/hardcase. The NYC is cool because the top just pops off and it is ready to go. The 2nd row tier is also very nice to get the pedals up higher than the front row for easy use. The angle on the PT works really well for me because of the order of my pedals, but some pedal orders could get a little crowded for switching if you have something in the back row that you need to turn on and off frequently. In that case, you may want to route the first half of your chain in the back and the second half in the front row.
The PT is a bit neater since you can route everything underneath, but the 2nd tier of the NYC allows similar hiding space for all of your cables. Also, the solid velcro surface of the NYC attracts a bit more dust and fuzz than the open frame of the PT, but no big deal. I am liking the compact size of the Jr., but I never had any negative issues with my NYC board.

NYC Pedalhead

Pedaltrain Jr.

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
How do you like the gainster? I was considering a Barber DD before I recently heard clips of the Clark Gainster.

Last edited:

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I have a couple of NYC pedalboards, been very happy overall. I had to get one recovered as the carpet was starting to come up, you just have to careful how you remove your pedals.

Phillip_H

I have been using an original Pedaltrain board for several years. I really like it, but I have outgrown it. I was looking at the PT Pro, but it's really heavy. I decided on a slightly customized NYC Big Shot with a 2nd level. It shipped on Friday and should be here by the end of this week. I'm really looking forward to it. I'll post my thoughts on it once I've taken it out a couple of times.

thudle

The craftsmanship, durability, and usability of the NYC Pedalboards are stellar. For the price, these boards/cases provide better quality than that of the massed-produced PT (imo).

uberschall

Silver Supporting Member
I've gigged both for years and would go with the Pedaltrain:
-It's much lighter
-it's much easier to keep clean with less exposed surface
-the real Velcro is much more durable than the NYC surface- I had my NYC
recovered twice.
-The biggest thing for me: it's so much more convenient when arranging or changing pedal setups to be able to route audio and power cables easily underneath the board.

The thing I like about the NYC boards is the second level, as opposed to the slant of the PT, but I've totally gotten used to the slant. I sold my NYC but kept the second level and use it sometimes on my PT!

NYC customer service is top-notch though- Mike is a great guy.

Wheels

Platinum Supporting Member
How do you like the gainster? I was considering a Barber DD before I recently heard clips of the Clark Gainster.

I LOVE my Gainster. It is my favorite Overdrive, and works well with everything I match it with, guitars and amps.

I have the smaller Barber version, but absolutely prefer the larger one shown.

Wheels

npirt.89

I have a PedalTrain Pro and love it. I have about 10 pedals I keep on there. Looks like That is what you need since you have about 7 or 8 pedals, plus a little growing room. I love that you can put the PP2 under the board and run all the cables under it so that its not a giant mess.

I havent used an NYC pedalboard and i wanted to know. Can I put a multi-effect or something of that size on one of these things? All the ones Ive seen have a second level riser.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I havent used an NYC pedalboard and i wanted to know. Can I put a multi-effect or something of that size on one of these things? All the ones Ive seen have a second level riser.
I think the 2nd level riser is optional. You can always remove the 2nd level riser even if its not optional, its just velcroed down.

Trending Topics