NYCers: Favorite apartment amps?

WornFrets

Silver Supporting Member
Quickie back story: I grew up in a house in Staten Island and volume was absolutely no concern. I always rocked loud amps in the basement of my parents house, no problem. I now live in an apartment in Astoria, Queens and am trying to figure out a reasonable amp solution.

For context, the last amp I had was a new Custom Deluxe Reverb '68 reissue, which I thought at 22 watts would be a good solution. I never got it past 3 and even that was a bit too loud. So, as you can tell, I'm a little out of touch here.

I don't gig on guitar, so headroom isn't really a concern.

NYCers (or other similar metropolitan dwellers): What have you found to be an ideal wattage amp? I want something good quality and all-tube. No channel-switching or high gain necessary. I like vintage tones/cleans (perhaps a little dirt when pushed) and I have pedals for the rest.

There are a lot of solid looking amps in the 15-watt range, but I fear that even THAT will be too loud!

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
You really can't go wrong with a VHT Special 6 or a Egnater Tweaker 15! Both are great tone machines and very reasonably priced.

Custom50

I have a bunch of amps sitting in my spare room that I only use like once a week now that I live in a building.

My little fender vibrochamp gets a good 90% of my amplified time. Welcome to the woes of apartment life man.

dcbc

I have a 77 Champ that I keep in the bedroom just to make it more likely that I'll play more regularly. It's a great little amp, but mine doesn't have that clean sound like my 73 Deluxe Reverb does. Doesn't take much to push the little Champs.

stratplayer17

Carr Mercury. Plays like a huge amp while my toddler sleeps in our smallish twin home.

For context - I do gig, and have very nice amps (Matchless, Victoria, Z, Mesa, Fender, few vintage pieces, etc) - but the best way I can explain the Merc is that it's the one amp I would save in a fire.

MHG

The Red Iron Lil Mo' is exactly what you're looking for. Amazing clean to slight breakup tones at conversation levels and down.......and it's real tube tone! Only micro amps like these can do this. It also takes pedals like a dream.

vlammie

Audio Kitchen little chopper. Pricey, but definitely worth it.
7 watts with a power control, which reduces the headroom if the power amp. So you get more breakup an compression while reducing level.

They also have a 2,5W amp-in-a-pedal called 'the big trees'.

http://www.audiokitchen.co.uk/products-2/

Go to the users section on the website, you can filter per product. Pretty impressive client base imho.

Denzel999

I've lived in a fair few apartments in England and had a class 5 that was only 5 watts and that was pretty much useless as it was so loud. Sold it and bought a Blackstar HT1 way more suitable for apartment use, super cheap and flexible a cool amp. I've now got a jcm1h and own a get a cab which I'm sure will be a sweet upgrade on the blackstar.

paulbearer

One more time for the Laney Lionheart 5 watt.
Or, you can get a bouzoukee and play as loud as you like...
Your Astoria neighbors will love it!

Motherfuzzer

Silver Supporting Member
I live in a shoebox in Jersey, I just picked up the Fender Clapton vibro champ and I am enjoying it so far. It is 5 watts with a half power switch. It sounds excellent.

lowedt

Fender Vibro champ xd. Absolutely love it. 5 watt all tube with effects- 16 voicing channels. pretty awesome amp

WornFrets

Silver Supporting Member
Great suggestions so far, everybody - thanks!

Has anybody gotten to check out an AC-4HW yet? I'm intrigued. I like the idea of a 12" speaker.