NYCers: Favorite apartment amps?

MHG

From one Astoria native to another, you'll either have to go the route of something like this:

or the attenuator/re-amplifier/dummy-load-with-headphones route.

Even a 1-watt amp is WAY too loud to keep Nicholas Pappalapadapoulos from banging on your door - especially if you like vintage tones (power tube saturation)

You've obviously never played a Red Iron Lil Mo'.

dohmar

I don't live in new york, nor do i live in an apartment. I do live in a house with neighbours though and much as I was loathed to accept it at first, the yamaha thr10 is the perfect home amp. Some of the additional software and practice tools make it a no-brainer for little cash.

Bloody hell. I should never have woken up and read this thread this morning.

I had a listen to those yamahas on youtube and decided to wander to my local yamaha dealer (holden hill music) who had the THR10X in stock. I played it for 5 minutes then decided to take it home. They knocked off $80 for me too, which was sweet.

Its a little gem. I've always been a modelling naysayer but this thing is perfect for me to take away on holidays/travel.

Try one - I doubt you'll be disappointed. If clean is more your thing, go for the THR10C

Now I have to eat 2 minute ramen for the next month. Ahh well...

-D

benjammin_

Bloody hell. I should never have woken up and read this thread this morning.

I had a listen to those yamahas on youtube and decided to wander to my local yamaha dealer (holden hill music) who had the THR10X in stock. I played it for 5 minutes then decided to take it home. They knocked off $80 for me too, which was sweet.

Its a little gem. I've always been a modelling naysayer but this thing is perfect for me to take away on holidays/travel.

Try one - I doubt you'll be disappointed. If clean is more your thing, go for the THR10C

Now I have to eat 2 minute ramen for the next month. Ahh well...

-D

get a chance to run any delay or modulation pedals into it yet? or any dirt/fuzz? i've been thinking about getting one of these for a while

THiwaTT

Fender Greta (2w) is fantastic for this - the 4 inch speaker is sounds gritty (in a good way) once broken-in and helps keep the volume low, plus you can use it as an iPod speaker, and use it to power another cabinet

Blackheart Killer Ant is another awesome choice (it is rated at .25watts @ 16ohms)
pair this with an inefficient speaker, and you have a killer Marshall-inspired practice rig
I am thinking about getting another Killer Ant, after selling my last one and missing it like crazy.

Research update: If you were to pair the Blackheart with a Jensen P10R-F (92.5dB efficiency @ 1w) then you would be pumping out ~86.5dB at 1/4w. not too crazy for a cranked amp.
I am not 100% about my math skills here, but having owned both of the above amps, I think either would be an appropriate and cost-effective choice

dohmar

get a chance to run any delay or modulation pedals into it yet? or any dirt/fuzz? i've been thinking about getting one of these for a while

howdy
to be honest, no, but only because the amp simulations have more than enough gain to not require a dirt/od/fuzz pedal, and the unit already has a built in phaser, flanger, tremolo and chorus section, in addition to a reverb and delay section... in short, its an all in one box that only requires you to add one guitar and input lead.

if you've been thinking about it, then go try one out at your local shop - once you get a nice tone dialled in and throw in some hall reverb, you wont be able to stop smiling.

I'm still gonna buy an egnater tweaker 15 sometime but this will do me for my immediate travelling needs. love it and so have 2 of my friends who have checked it out so far

-D

bbunke

I just picked up a thr10c for using when I'm working on the road. I really am surprised every time I fire it up how big it sounds at very low volumes. The coolest part of the amp simulations is that there are 3 volume controls, gain, master, and guitar output. The output distortion modeling is very nice and sounds convincing. It's the best little amp I've ever owned

gearscrubs

The THR10C is great with pedals of all types - responds very much like a tube amp to fuzz/od/boost.

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
Not to high jack the thread, but what are the differences between the versions of the THR10?

thesauce

Sidebar-I wish my downstairs neighbor would read this thread...worst...metal...player...ever. First time I heard him I thought our garbage disposal was jammed.

dohmar

Not to high jack the thread, but what are the differences between the versions of the THR10?

From what I understand, the hardware between the THR10's are the same, they're just loaded with different firmware and painted different colors to distinguish them.

The THR10 was the original one, then they brought out the THR10-C which has more clean type amp simulations, and the THR-X which has more high gain amp simulations. The effects that are pre-loaded differ in that the C version has an analogue tape delay sim where the other 2 have digital delay sims.

Andertons do a good comparison. This was one of the clips I watched before I bought one ;

And it was this video of Satchel from Steel Panther that nailed it for me. Hilarious guy

-D

xchemie

I like to use either a a Zoom G3X or Tech21 Character (Blonde or British) pedal into a Phil Jones Cub AG-150 for quite playing. Phil Jones' kit sounds fantastic but it's not very loud.

For all tube tone, there are lots of good recomendations so far, but a PRS Sweet 16 amp has a great master volume control with good tone at very low levels. I really love mine; it's a great single channel amp with solid construction and a nice crunchy preamp gain. The reverb is also luscious.

logen99999

I have an apartment, thin walls. I used a Yamaha THR5 or a fender vibro champ XD.

I rent a rehearsal space downtown, that's where I keep the 50 watt marshall and 4x12. you can hear it on the street when it's all the way up :D

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
From what I understand, the hardware between the THR10's are the same, they're just loaded with different firmware and painted different colors to distinguish them.

The THR10 was the original one, then they brought out the THR10-C which has more clean type amp simulations, and the THR-X which has more high gain amp simulations. The effects that are pre-loaded differ in that the C version has an analogue tape delay sim where the other 2 have digital delay sims.

Andertons do a good comparison. This was one of the clips I watched before I bought one ;

And it was this video of Satchel from Steel Panther that nailed it for me. Hilarious guy

-D

Thank you dohmar! Very helpful.

kombi1976

I like to use either a a Zoom G3X or Tech21 Character (Blonde or British) pedal into a Phil Jones Cub AG-150 for quite playing. Phil Jones' kit sounds fantastic but it's not very loud.

For all tube tone, there are lots of good recomendations so far, but a PRS Sweet 16 amp has a great master volume control with good tone at very low levels. I really love mine; it's a great single channel amp with solid construction and a nice crunchy preamp gain. The reverb is also luscious.
This is a bit off topic, but who is designing the PRS amps?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom