• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Nylon jazz guitar suggestions

yeast2000

I would like to purchase a nylon stringed guitar for jazz playing. I've never owned one before, but want to seriously start playing one. I'm basically looking for the ones that would sound nice both plugged and unplugged, but not really into thin bodies made for plugged-in sounds. I prefer cutaway body style, but it's not an absolute requirement. My budget is around 3-4k, but I have no idea where I should start looking into. If anyone could guide me to right directions, I'd greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.

Beagle1

Silver Supporting Member
$3-4K is a pretty good chunk of change to start with...if you don't mind spending a little more you can get a Kirk Sand, which is pretty much the ultimate in nylon string stage guitars:

http://www.sandguitars.com/

Check out Sand's artist list which reads like a virtual who's who of amazing players. In particular, I like the Richard Smith model because it's a little bit more like a standard classical, but still with cutaway and a thinner neck. If you've ever heard Richard play (he is one hell of a great player!), he does everything from classical to jazz to ragtime to Chet Atkins to gypsy swing on that guitar. It is a really versatile instrument.

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
+1 on Kirk's guitars. If you are looking for a more traditional classical, I have an Oribe that a retired Las Vegas lounge performer had built with a pickup system. It's strange to put one on a first rate classical instrument, but it was done. Email me if you are interested.

yeast2000

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll definitely look into Sand guitars and Turners. Anything else that I should consider?

MikeD

The only one I've ever played was built by Mario Beauregard. Quite a bit more than 4k, but awesome.

nik

Bill Comins and Steve Grimes make nylon stringed models also. I used to own a 7 string Kirk Sand guitar that was awesome. If only I didn't have to pay the rent :jo

Jazztone

Paul McGill from Nashville makes an incredible Nylon Jazz guitar called the Super Ace. I own one and it is the most amazing guitars I have ever had under my fingers.

royd

+1 for the Lowden SJ. They are wonderful guitars... especially those from the new shop.

Paul Conway

How much you spending? Takamine makes the EAN60c, which I have, and which is not that bad with the right strings (bright, normal tension).

Trending Topics