• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Nylon saddles (ABR-1)

BenTobith

Fragile Harmonics
Platinum Supporting Member
I'm going to try some nylon saddles to go along with the nylon nut on my reissue SG. Curious how they sound and "feel" compared to nickel plated brass.

Has anyone used nylon saddles with a Gibson or ABR-1 equipped guitar? If so, do you notch? I planned to do the Gibson Method™ and hammer them with my strings and do a slight amount of filing with a slotting file a wee bit larger than each of the string gauges. However, I wanted to check and see if this was even necessary or recommended with nylon saddles?

davidos

Gold Supporting Member
I wouldn’t do the hammer method on nylon saddles. It wont do much. You just want a small slot on the wound strings to hold them in place. As far as the plain strings, the pressure will create a tiny slot but you could try to put a tiny slot in the plain strings if they move.

Reactions: Roe

BenTobith

Fragile Harmonics
Platinum Supporting Member
So I ended up just doing a few taps to mark the slot on the saddles when I had the strings at tension. I then removed those strings, filed the slots slightly to the width of the strings at a back angle, and restrung it. Sounds great. I feel like the tension is a bit looser, and some of the overtones that can be unpleasant at times (metallic overtones) are gone. Sounds great amplified.

smv929

I'm going to try some nylon saddles to go along with the nylon nut on my reissue SG. Curious how they sound and "feel" compared to nickel plated brass.

Has anyone used nylon saddles with a Gibson or ABR-1 equipped guitar? If so, do you notch? I planned to do the Gibson Method™ and hammer them with my strings and do a slight amount of filing with a slotting file a wee bit larger than each of the string gauges. However, I wanted to check and see if this was even necessary or recommended with nylon saddles?
I have them on my 335 63 RI. The guitar sounds great; is my number one. I've wondered about if I'm missing something not having nickel or whatever saddles. Or if it's contributes to the sound I like. So I like them, but haven't A/B'd them with nickel/brass.

Fast forward, I just got a new historic Les Paul and having trouble with metalic sounds on the nickel saddles, mainly the G string. It's not the nut. It's the saddle. I'm going to take it back to the the tech I used to set it up (lower nut slots and made sure saddles grooves were good). I'm hoping it's simply a filing issue on the saddle.

Mysterious: The problem disappeared when temporarily placed a bridge from another Les Paul on it. WHen I put the original bridge back, it still disappeared. However, when I restrung it, it was back. I can play with moving/seating the string and it can change/reduces the amount of metalic ping. I also put a piece of paper on the saddle and that made it disappear.

This is the first (Gibson) guitar I've had ping/metalic issues from.

I want to solve the problem, but I was tempted to try tone pro bridge with nylon saddles. Perhaps getting a tone pros vintage bridge would do it to.

Top Bottom